• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Here. Please Help!

kimy27

Hi I've been reading these wonderful boards for a few months now but haven't goten the chance to post yet. I just became the owner of a beauftiful blenheim little girl named Bailey. We've had her just over a week now and shes been brilliant. We've come to love her so much. She took a few days to warm up to us but has since become quite attached. :)

Tonight however after I took her out for the toilet and brought her back into the house she went crazy. :? She was running about really fast, barking and growling and tearing up anything in her way. At first I thought she may still have needed the toilet so I took her back outside. She didn't do anything and ran back in the house continuing to go crazy (she bit my mum while she was trying to calm her down). Eventually she calmed down and crawled onto my lap and crashed out. :yikes

Has anyone had anything like this happen before? I'm really worried there's something wrong with her. Thanks for any response.

How old is she? It sounds like she was having 'the zoomies' it's this mad thing that Cavaliers do. They seem to run around like lunatics about once a day or maybe more, depending on their age etc.

My two go like mad things, round and round the house and up and down the stairs. I open the patio doors to the gardena nd they run out and stand looking at me. I let them back in and they go off again :roll: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the crazy but wonderful world of Cavaliers.

Btw, when the dog bit your Mum was it an aggresive bite or a playful puppy one?

you say she went out for poop ? did she go ?

if so i would check the poop to make sure hadn't passed anything that may have hurt her its possible she may have felt pain and that caused her to be frightend

welcome to the forum :)

Perhaps little Bailey was just tired. Our almost year old puppy will sometimes do that when we go to bed if he has had an exhausting day. (He sleeps with us.) We have taught him the word "settle", and if we say that and give him a little treat he will usually settle down. I have also tried removing any toys from the bed, yawning, believe it or not that helps, and petting him with long strokes. That also works and he is out like a light. I feel confident Bailey is just fine. How old is she? Can't wait to see pictures. :)

She is 11 weeks. She kinda snapped at her on she way past :lol: She didn't do a poop. I don't know if maybe that was the problem. She does seem to circle a bit before she poops. But she is asleep now and still hasn't pooped so maybe she didn't need it after all. :?

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww she's only a baby then :lotsaluv: Sounds like it was puppy playtime. I really don't think that a puppy of 11 weeks would know how to be aggressive although they do make lots of growly noises :lol:

Welcome to the board. icon_welcome

I love the name Bailey for a little girl - can't wait to see pictures :snap:

xx

Thanks so much for the replies. I feel so much better now I know about the zoomies :lol: I will post pics soon. She really is a little cutie :)

The other thing is- she seems to get a really dry nose at times and sneezes a lot. Do you think this might be a problem? I told the vet that she sneezes a lot but she didn't do anything about it. She has always got water available so I don't think she could be dehydrated.

Ruby does the same thing sometimes, usually with no warning. It seems like she's playing with her toys when suddenly she does nuts and runs back and forth all over the living room. It's pretty comical, but I've got to get her to the groomers to get the hair between her pads trimmed so she'll have a little traction....she slides all over our hardwood floors when she does this!!

Lucky gets the zoomies sometimes too - it's just extra energy that they need to wear off and if you can play with them, throw a ball or toy to help wear off that energy then they love that, but otherwise, they'll just take care of it themselves with the Zoomies.

Lucky doesn't get them every day - just on days when he hasn't had long walks or play sessions with other dogs that day or the day before. When he has them, I just have to laugh because he really does look like a looney-toon!

icon_welcome

Sounds like zoomies to me, too. Just something puppies do. I used to be able to set my watch by Wrigley's 9:00 p.m. zoomies.

Holly used to have the zoomies religiously every night at seven. It's diminished somewhat now, but then she is nearly 4 years old! Amber has never done it as regularly.

The zoomies are so funny to watch. Lily does it at night between 7:00 and 9:00. All through the house up and down the stairs for about 5 mins. Then she jumps up on the sofa and goes sound a sleep. Hard to beleive they can move that fast inside.

Kodee went through a period of this from 10-12 wks. First it was always worse with her when she came in when it was cold. I learned to distract her by giving her small treats (frozen green bean is her favourite) and used this time to teach sit - the amount she went out in a day it didnt take long to learn :lol: The second reason she did it we found out was when she was overtired - think toddler having a tempertantrum. Same this distract or redirect by getting her interested in something. Dont attempt to pick her up till she is calm - its a loosing battle. When she got excited and chased toes.. I copied an idea in a book. Put a soft toy on the end of a sturdy rope and pulled it behind me, now my feet arent so interesting! At 13 wks she started puppy class and boom the crazies were over! During that 2 wks period I also put her in an xpen till she calmed down. Not in an angry way, but in a here is a kong and toy, bye bye!! She would eat the treat, play a minute and settle herself down.

Welcome to puppy days!

Yep, sure sounds like the zoomies. Libby loves to do it. Especially, if she has been in her crate. Now, when our lab gets them, it is alot tougher with 65lbs running through the house!

Welcome to the board!

I'm laughing so hard as I'm reading this post... My puppy does the same and I didn't know that this was a typical thing in the Cavaliers! You have got 2 love this breed.. "Zoomies", LOL!!

I'm with you Ginger, I had no idea it had a name. Only my male is the only one with the zoomies. He and the kitty have paired up during this time and she really gives him a run for his money.
My female, well she is a Princess you know and she would never ever behave in such a childish way ;)

gocamping said:
Yep, sure sounds like the zoomies. Libby loves to do it. Especially, if she has been in her crate. Now, when our lab gets them, it is alot tougher with 65lbs running through the house!

Welcome to the board!
I had a lab! I found she was alot easier to corner! She couldnt zip by me like itiny but mighty Kodee :yikes :lol:

Charlie is almost 3 and last week my youngest took him on a long walk (about 2 1/2 hours of walking and playing) - then he came in and had a zoomy fit. I wish I had half his energy :lol:

Back