• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Two SICK doggies last night!!! No sleep....*Update w/ treat*

My Wesley

So, yesterday I ran out of dog treats so while I was at the grocery store I figured I'd see if they had anything worth trying. I found this one box that seemed as though it looked well. So starting last night the dogs both had about two treats. Then comes 1am. Daisy starts whining. I wake up and take her out. Sure enough she pooped but it was runny. Took her back in. 1:30am Wesley starts crying. I'm like what the heck?! I figured maybe they just needed out more. So he goes out and pees and has runny poop and is screaming bloody murder. Goes back to sleep. This continues about every half hour. Then I realize they are vomiting and Wesley completely sh*t all over his crate. Daisy barfed in hers. Wesley had drool running down his mouth. It was sick.

So I kept switching them from crate to crate so they didn't have to continue in filth. Clean one while they vomit and stuff in the other. In the mean time it's about 3am and I start the laundry to clean all their bedding. I had to keep taking them out, washing paws, washing tails, washing mouths. The whole ordeal was just a mess. Finally at about 4:45am, everything was clean and dry and they were doing a little better, so I put them to sleep.

So I look at the treats and the first two ingredients are wheat ingredients. SO... I'm assuming they both have a pretty bad allergy to wheat. I have half a mind to call the company of the treats and complain. It was just so bad and I felt so bad and I've never seen Wesley have such a SAD face. :(

So they slept in til about 9am this morning and it's now noon and they are on nap #2. Wesley ate his breakfast with no problem, and Daisy of course didn't eat, so I took her food up. I feel bad about not helping her w/ food right now though since they were sick.

How long until normal stools return? I took them out at 11am and they both had runny stools.

ARGH! I could smack myself for not waiting and getting them good treats from the pet store. :sl*p:

So I look at the treats and the first two ingredients are wheat ingredients.

I have the exact same problem with Hogan, and they only treats I can feed him are the 100% freeze dried Liver Treats. ( Maxwell on the other hand has a stomach of Iron and has no problem with anything....Other than the face that good food makes him bind a bit)

Im so sorry about your horrible night....and I hope today gets better~ Oh Yeah, My Vet said it does take about 18 hours for their system to calm down after eating something that doesnt agree with them....

Ugh, I'm so sorry your night was filled with not so pleasant things!!!

Here's hoping your two little furbabies feel better soon!! :flwr:

:shock: :shock: :shock: What kind of treats were these? Are they a particular brand?

Really hope your babies are both better very, very soon. If it continues I'd start wondering if it was a virus or something and maybe get them checked over by a vet. :hug:

I hope they're better soon, too!

Please let us know what "treats" you bought, so that we can avoid them. Tx. :hug: :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear Wesley and Daisy were sick--that's miserable for everyone.

As an fyi for next time, whenever Mia gets an upset stomach/diarrhea I've given her children's Immodium and it works like a charm. She even loves the taste. My vet clued me in to this the last time I took her in. He said he could prescribe some puppy Immodium, but it's the same thing and cheaper to buy at the drug store. I give her 2-3 cc's from a syringe dropper depending on how sick she is and she licks it clean.

Glad Wesley and Daisy are doing better--hope you get a good rest tonight.

What a terrible night!! Oh you poor thing. Denise - like the suggestion of immodium and glad you gave dosage. I'm printing it out and putting it in my "emergency" drawer.

Have you withheld food from them? Neither should eat anything so their tummies can cleanse and calm. Be sure both are getting water so they don't get dehydrated. How are they doing this afternoon? If my guys have serious diahhrea for more than 24 hours I go to the vet. If it's tapering off it will probably continue to get better.

Wow that's terrible; I hope they both feel better soon! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Normally when dogs have vomiting and diarrhea, you don't feed them any food for 12 hours, to let their digestive systems calm down. But make sure they have water!

Then feed them boiled ground beef (drain off the fat and water) or boiled chicken with white rice until their poop firms up.

Someone advised me to be careful with Immodium or they can get constipated - can't remember if it was their breeder or a vet.

Two of my cavs are sensitive to wheat also. It's funny, I've had dogs in the past who loved puppy milk-bones and liva-snaps with no problems. But not these cavvies!

Cathy, you're right--I heard that about Immodium, too. I'm pretty conservative and give her the lowest dose--then I wait until the next poop to see if it's improved. Once it's near normal I stop and it normally sorts itself out. Thanks for mentioning that...don't want to exchange runny poop for "rocky" poop. :)

Ok, so I totally didn't know about not feeding them and they both ate today, but both still have runny poo. Should I give them ground beef yet tonight or wait til the morning. It's 9:45pm right now.

Ideas?

And is it strictly Immodium, or any children's upset tummy medicine?

if it was me, i think i'd wait til tomorrow to feed them, and only small amounts maybe 4 or 5 times during the day. I agree with what some others have said, go light on the food, if they eat less for a couple of days, that's probably best, less is more when the body is clearing out an irritant. I'm sure they are well nourished dogs and can go without their usual diet without any harm or malnutrition.

what a terrible night! i hope you've begun to catch up on your sleep by now. What a trooper you were with all the bathing and laundry at 4am.

So can I feed them some ground beef for breakfast? And is there a trick to boiling it? I'm not exactly the most experienced person in that field. Just used to browning it. :)

Personally, I would wait 24 hours before feeding if they still have runny poops. Plenty of water though and if they seem unwell at all in the meantime or if they still have runny poops after 24hrs starvation then get them to the Vets. :flwr:

My Wesley said:
So can I feed them some ground beef for breakfast? And is there a trick to boiling it? I'm not exactly the most experienced person in that field. Just used to browning it. :)

You can brown it, pour off the fat, add water and simmer it, then pour off the water. This will drain off most of the fat from the ground beef.

Then make some white rice and let it cool. I usually give mine a 50-50 mix of beef and rice. :flwr:

And is it strictly Immodium, or any children's upset tummy medicine?

I've only used the children's Immodium because it specifically helps diarrhea as well as upset stomach. I'm sure any generic version would help, too. I'd just look for something that specifically helps diarrhea. I use the children's version because it's somewhat gentler...

Tucker's vet told me to boil the hamburg and then I use a strainer to drain the water, along with the fat. Tucker loves it, it does not look appetizing to me, he doesn't care that it hasn't been browned.

Like Lindsay I'm also curious as to what kind of treats they are. I give Tucker milk bone the little wheel barrel shaped ones when I run out of the better quality treats. I have wondered if they upset his tummy too. I stopped giving them to him for awhile, but I've begun to re-introduce them out of necessity.

Ok, they are Priority "Total Pet Care" Dog Biscuits. Distributed by Safeway. It actually does say on the box, "Quality & Satisfaction Guaranteed or your money back". Think I should try to get it back?? Wonder if it counts since they are allergic. Though I think my constant cleaning of crap over the past day is worth my money back. My poor babies!

Here's a pic of the box. DON'T BUY THEM!

Priority.jpg

It must've been the box or something that appealed to me. Darn marketing! I didn't even realize that these were just by Safeway.

First several ingredients:
Wheat flour, wheat middlings, meat and bone meal, animal fat (preserved with BHA and citric acid), calcium carbonate, salt, etc....

I notice they don't say what kind of meat is in the meal...not a good sign. i see what you mean, cute doggie on the box. nice looking people....

i hope they're doing better by now

Back