• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

isolating fosters?

moniechris

I have a question for all of you foster parents out there:

I am picking a sweetie death row baby (see the thread in the rescue section) and the guy who picked her up for me mentioned that she has a slight cough. Kennel cough would not surprise me one bit as she has been in the shelter for over a month. On a side note the shelter vet said that she has a slight heart arithmia, so I am hoping this is not a sign of progressed heart disease...
I don't want to expose my babies to kennel cough so what is a good plan for isolating her until this clears up? I know that it is airborn and highly contagious but I worry about my little Zoey because pups are so sensitive to any form of illness.
My rescue is going straight to the vet when I pick her up, so hopefully that will shed some light on whether this is or is not kennel cough.

Do you have time to give your dogs the liquid vaccine that works fast to protect them? I dont know how you feel about kennel cough vaccination and actually havent given it myself but thought in this case it might be an option.

The vaccines usually take at least a week to be effective and they only protect against one strand (there are at least 9). Wesley is vaccinated against bordatella and a few others (it was a 5 vaccination combo...can't remmeber everything) because we used to take him to the dog park all the time. My others however are not.

Oh and I thought it might help you! I remember reading about it and thought it worked in 2 days or something. Hopefully your vet will have advice, its a tough situation your in - good luck

Back