• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Class Question - Update!

nangel519

I'm definitely putting Sadie in a puppy class, I know that for sure. The thing I'm not too sure about is when to start her. I have the ability to start her Sunday, she will be just over 11 weeks old. I can also wait and start her on April 16th, when she will be just over 16 weeks. I'm a little nervous to start her so young, but on the other hand I would love for her to learn some basic commands and get some socialization in. Which class would you choose?

I started Finley exactly at 16 weeks, he is doing pretty good with the commands and everything. However, I think he has a bit of A.D.D. everytime we go. I sort of wish I started him sooner and maybe he would focus more at class. I think either way would be fine though. Puppy class if fun, except for the loose leash walking. I think Fin is hopeless with that.

I started Kodee at 12 wks and thought she might be a little young but she has done really well - and it has really raised her confidence! I compromised with myself by finding a puppy socialization class for pups 10-16wks only. Its an intro to training - more about behaviour etc. with basic commands. Your supposed to still enroll in a beginner class past 16 wks.

I suppose for those who recently have been through the puppy stage it might not be necessary - especially if the dog is exposed to other dogs and lots of people. For us, Kodee is very sheltered (kids at univerity - family not local) so its necessary at this age for us.

I would suggest doing the younger rather than the older. Faith was about 11 1/2 weeks when we started puppy class and I don't regret it one bit. Puppies have a very small window of socialization period when they are younger - the more socialization the better. :flwr:

We always wait until our puppies have had their rabies vaccination. That's at about 4 months old. 11 weeks old may be a little young, but a LOT depends on the puppy. I know for sure a couple of our dogs could have gone before 16 weeks.

In fact, now that I think about it, our two new puppies are getting close to the age where I need to start getting them ready for their puppy classes.

I would have thought - younger rather than older and there is less chance of bad habits starting when they are at the age were they are absorbing everything ;)

Teddy just started at 13 weeks and he is doing great. It is amazing how quickly they can learn so young. I delayed in taking Colin and I wish I had started earlier. Puppy socialization is so important.

The trainer we use said the earlier the better. There is a puppy in there only 10 weeks old!

:updte:

Well we decided that Sadie would benefit better to start her classes earlier rather than later. We took her to her first class on Sunday, and she was in puppy heaven! As we sat and waited for the class to begin she fell in love with a 10 month old 150 pound Mastiff wandering through the aisles (we took her to class as Petsmart). I thought she was scared at first, but she was wiggling in my arms so much because she wanted down to play with her! We held her out a bit and she gave a big lick to the Mastiff. At least we now know she isn't afraid of big dogs!! There were 5 other puppies in the class with us, and the trainer kept them away from each other the first class to see their personalities. Sadie did great. She worked well with the clicker, learned "Watch Me", and didn't bark once during the whole class. We have been practicing the clicker with her at home and my OH is has actually taught her to sit. I definitely thought she was too young for that. I'm really glad we decided to start her earlier rather than later. She needs the puppy socialization.

Thanks for all your input everyone, if definitely helped in the decision!

so glad that Sadie is doing well!! :) Faith amazes me too and she was put in a bit younger than Sadie and she has learned to sit, lay down, and she's actually coming along with stay!! Now who thought that would be possible?! :yikes :flwr: It's going so well!!

OOH if I had a bigger house I would LOVE a 150lb mastiff. They are so beautiful. If only I could have my Xena back *ng*l :flwr: They are such gentle dogs too I am sure that mastiff was in absolute puppy heaven! :)

Glad you guys had a blast!! :) It's a lot of fun isnt it!

Back