Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Stool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hard Stool

We changed Murphy's food to James Wellbeloved a couple of weeks ago. Ever since we noticed his stool has been harder, and he sometimes seems to struggle a little. He still goes as regularly as he did before

The vet didn't seem concerned as he is going regularly, but I was wondering if there is anything we could give him to soften it up a little. He gets veg, and meat with his JWB at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would try giving him fish oil every day, and perhaps bits of carrots and frozen cut green beans for extra fiber.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have JWB here but I had the same problem with Kosmo and his stools. I called the manufacturer of the food and they told me that, like cathy said, add fiber to his food. They suggested canned pumpkin to me and it seems to do the trick
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

a firmer stool is much better than a softer one it will help keep the anal glands empty .....unless he is constipated and can't go i wouldn't add anytjing to his diet
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

If he's constipated, you could try a little rough bran (not processed breakfast cereal). It helps constipation and to soft poos.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon
    I would try giving him fish oil every day, and perhaps bits of carrots and frozen cut green beans for extra fiber.
    He gets green beans or carrots with his meals, but the are normally cooked. Is this wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

i feed lady jwb and she has firm poos we add fruit and veg in every meal. Only puppy approved ones though! And i give cooked and uncooked veg and frozen i don't think it matters it still fiber. silly response is he getting enough water?
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Yea he's drinking fine. You can't miss when he's been, wet ears are a dead give away

Post Thanks / Like

i love wet ears! they look so funny. then they dry and go all curly and crazy!
    Natalie, mummy to lady (blen) 8 months old

Post Thanks / Like

Bertie has always been on James Wellbeloved. I never put anything with his food and his poops are very firm, sometimes takes him a bit longer to go but he's not straining or anything so I'm not concerned at all.

He sometimes has softer stools if I give him a treat that he's not used to or too much of one. Apart from that, his are always very firm.

Alison