• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lungworm - the danger of eating slugs and snails

George19

I'd like to alert you all to the reason why my 7 month old CKCS pup died in January. I can now bring myself to discuss it here, however, this account, written by a lady who's pup also died explains things as well as I can (I've told my story so many times I can't face doing it again) http://www.k9centre.co.uk/heartworm.php?PHPSESSID=f61c8b3a90605a417f6696f8bce982f9

The difference with my George is that he died under anaesthetic as they operated to find out what was wrong with him....in other words they missed the diagnosis, actually my vets didn't do a single thing right.

I've copied the below from another forum I've posted in:

Lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum)
It is seen a lot in young dogs as they are more vulnerable. The symptoms are:

cough
exercise intolerence
bleeding tendency i.e blood in stools or vomit, coughing up blood
panting/heavy breathing
loss of appetite
weight loss
vomiting
diarrhoea

You may just notice the occasional cough to begin with, its so easy to miss. It usually starts with the cough, I noticed it when George was playing, after a few seconds he needed to stop to cough, he then bled in his stools and coughed up blood, he lost a lot of weight and wouldn't eat.

Cavaliers are the most common breed to present at the vets with Lungworm (I think they are more fond of slugs and snails). The type of Lungworm carried by slugs/snails is Angiostrongylus Vasorum, there are other types. I think Milbemax is the only licensed wormer for this species although some vets use Panacur but at a treament dose not the routine dose and it is given for a long period (the routine dose really harmed little George). The use of Panacur is 'off label' which means the comapny making it make no claims that it works but the vets find it does. My advice is always check with your vet before you worm your pup/dog.

Be aware that some vets are treating the tummy/cough symptoms with antiobiotics and the dogs seem to improve (this happened with George and the vet had suggested worming him, I did this when I felt he was better but it made him a lot worse). My vets still didn't realise and eventually anaesthetised him after worrying x-rays, of course he never came through the anaesthetic. The lungworm was found as autopsy. Some dogs die just because of the bleeding, the bleed can happen in the brain, eye etc.

This link explains another cav owners experience. http://www.k9centre.co.uk/heartworm....96f8bc e982f9

I spoke to this lady, her vet missed it too, it's such a waste

Incidentally the most commonest areas it is seen is Swansea, Surrey, Cornwall and parts of Ireland but it is being seen all over.

Sorry to go on guys but I really would hate anyone else to have this happen.

OH My Goodness.. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so sorry to hear that. What a devastating ordeal and to not know until it's too late.. I am so sorry :cry*ing:

I hope you find solace in comfort knowing that George is no longer in pain or suffering and is watching over everything you do. Should you decide to get another puppy, I am sure George will help he or she right along.

Thank you for sharing that health information. Are there any preventatives to lung worm? We have to worry about heart worm up here in Canada and the flea repellant I put my crew on has a mosquitoe repellant as well.

i am so sorry for your loss i will have to make sure we watch lady like a hawk when she goes out into the garden we have loads of slugs. Lady is wormed with Milbemax wormer is that correct that this will protect her from lungworms.

arasara said:
We have to worry about heart worm up here in Canada and the flea repellant I put my crew on has a mosquitoe repellant as well.
I didn't even think of that poor doggies been but bit by mosquitoe's they drive me mad when were on holiday.

Thanks Sara, it has been a very sad time.

The only real prevention is vigilance to make sure pups don't eat slugs which is so hard to do. Milbemax is supposed to be effective but I really strongly advise owners who know they have a slug eating Cav to talk to their vet about a worming regime and talk to the vet about this species of Lungworm and how it is transmitted (I am surprised at how much incorrect info my vet gave me. I think they learned a valuable lesson too).

I just hope this helps someone somewhere :xfngr:

Natalie said:
arasara said:
We have to worry about heart worm up here in Canada and the flea repellant I put my crew on has a mosquitoe repellant as well.
I didn't even think of that poor doggies been but bit by mosquitoe's they drive me mad when were on holiday.

Mosquitos carry heart worm up here. In some flea medications there is a heart worm preventative. Sorry that's what I meant to say.. I don't think it's in every part of the country, but I know up here heart worm protection is strongly advised by my vets.

I'm going to have to ask about the prevalance of lung worm next time I am in at the vets. I had no idea that dogs were succeptible to this too. Man there is hookworm, whipworm, round worm, tape worm, heart worm and now lung worm? I am sure there are more but wow - that's a lot of different types of worms to worry about! :yikes

I'm not sure about the prevalence outside Europe Sara but it's worth asking.

Thanks for taking notice, I feel like I'm bashing my head against a wall sometimes. I tell people I know and I can see them thinking 'won't happen to me' :sl*p:

George,

Although it's totally unrelated to lungworm, we just about lost 2 dogs from salmon sickness when I was a teenager. That put me on high alert for any potential sickness that my dogs can get. That was such an awful experience for us - we got really really lucky because we caught it and got it treated quickly.

Are you considering getting another little furry friend to keep you company in the near future? :flwr:

Crikey I have never heard of salmon sickness :?

I have been to visit a litter recently so hopefully I will try again with another pup soon. I don't think I could face much longer without a Cavalier cuddle. I hope George doesn't mind :( he was just perfect and a lot to live up to :l*v:

George19 said:
Thanks Sara, it has been a very sad time.

The only real prevention is vigilance to make sure pups don't eat slugs which is so hard to do. Milbemax is supposed to be effective but I really strongly advise owners who know they have a slug eating Cav to talk to their vet about a worming regime and talk to the vet about this species of Lungworm and how it is transmitted (I am surprised at how much incorrect info my vet gave me. I think they learned a valuable lesson too).

I just hope this helps someone somewhere :xfngr:

First, it would be really hard for me to talk about something like that when it was over. So I think we all owe you thanks for bringing this to our attention - me especially. Our backyard swims - I mean its really a glow with slugs on all our flowers and our front walk is often covered in snails. There is no way to avoid them here - no other house I have lived in had it this bad.

With that in mind, are you saying one can be proactive and specifically giving worm medicene (like heartworm) on a regular basis for this? I have an appointment in 2 wks for Kodee's 3 rd set of shots and will definately print this out! I cant thank you enough. Funny now that the snow has melted in spots, Kodee keeps going nuts digging and eating the dirt - I have to wonder now what she is up to?

http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/fish_dogs.html

There's a link to what salmon sickness is and what it does. We were lucky. My dog got out of the fence and went fishing :sl*p: Stuff like that happens when you live in a big country and unfortunately we had a river running right behind our house :?

George was just absolutely beautiful. :) I am sure he wouldn't mind if you got another cavalier - as a matter of fact he would probably embrace it. I am sure he hates to see his family suffering. I am glad you're going to consider another Cavalier. I think I would lose my mind without having at least one icon_whistling What color are you considering? :flwr:

Hi Kodee

I kinda feel compelled to spread awareness otherwise I feel my baby died completely in vain. If some good can come of it then I have to make sure it does for him.

I believe it may be a problem in Canada/America as well as Europe
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12497965&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=15264484&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Kodee, I have some good papers on this but copyright means I can't post them here. I can email you them if you want to take them to the vet.

George19 said:
Hi Kodee

I kinda feel compelled to spread awareness otherwise I feel my baby died completely in vain. If some good can come of it then I have to make sure it does for him.

I believe it may be a problem in Canada/America as well as Europe
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=12497965&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/..._uids=15264484&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

Kodee, I have some good papers on this but copyright means I can't post them here. I can email you them if you want to take them to the vet.

Thanks - I was just reading an article that said on autopy of dogs that died with the symptom of cough in Newfoundland, 25% were found to have lungworm! That is a huge percentage! It appears to be there and in some parts of Western Canada as well. Definately with spring coming I will be talking to my vet in a few wks. Amazing I never knew this - our lab used to go "slug" digging in the backyard all the time. We only let her out a bit a night during the summer quickly as even the lawn was crawling. The problem with slugs is they are next to impossible to get rid of. Any poisions cant be used with a dog either. My vet is involved in Guelph University studies frequently so she should be able to give me good advice and get stats on this area specifically. If she is unfamilar, I will send you my email - thank you so much for the offer and this great post. I hope things improve for you and you consider another pet sometime - as they bring so much to our lives!

Edit: Whoot! I just saw your reply to Sara! How nice for you. Sara knows black/tans are my favourite cav! I love kodee and think she is perfect and wouldnt trade her for the world - but that doesnt mean I cant still think black and tans are the best looking! Love them that is why I tell my husband, Kodee needs a brother..... :sl*p:

Lisa - thank you so much for finding it in your heart to post about your George!! I think you are right that your tragedy can hopefully prevent someone else from having to go through this.

I think George would think it's wonderful that you feel able to open your heart to another dog. He knows he won't be replaced and I'm sure he wouldn't want you to be sad anymore.

Thanks again from finding the ability to tell us your story.

I would like to add about Salmon sickness since its very common in our area.

Only after the salmon have left the ocean for fresh water are they at risk for transmitting sickness.

Also, trout and steelhead can equally infect your dog.

Your dog doesnt have to actually eat the infected fish,
they can just lick them and still become infected.

Geographically, only fish from the Pacific Northwest--Alaska; California; Oregon; Idaho; Washington; and Vancouver Island, Canada--are potential sources of salmon poisoning.

Oh, Lisa--I'm so sorry to hear about little George. Thank you so much posting your story. :flwr: I have lots of slugs in my garden during the spring/summer. Now I'm motivated to do something about it.

Here's a link that explains a few non-toxic methods of getting rid of slugs:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Garden-Slugs

I'm glad you're going to get another baby soon. I'm sure George would approve! :)

You are so kind to post this information for us, which I know must have been difficult. I have never heard of lung worms, but we have to give our dogs here in the south USA, and I guess everywhere here where there is a mosquito problem, a monthly tablet for prevention. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Rest in peace little Georgie *ng*l

I wonder how common this is in the US, I've only heard about this from people abroad. I have a ton of slugs, I've even brushed some from the dog fur. I don't think they try to eat them, but who knows what they do when I'm not watching them like a hawk. The puppy loves to munch on twigs so it's possible one could be lurking there. I'm going to be a nervous wreck all spring and summer now. No more hostas here...slugs love them.

Back