Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cavalier puppies at Freedom Rescue--OH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavalier puppies at Freedom Rescue--OH

I saw this on Petfinder. http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH522.html

Here is what they say about them:

Freedom Rescue has several Cavalier pups that we are starting to post on Pet finder. All these pups were rescued from a puppy mill. As we get individual pictures they will be added. All the pups are very social, NO MILL FEAR ISSUES. There are six females and three males. Ages nine weeks to 13 weeks. They are all beautiful. Two pups are in the Detroit area , Black and Tan female 13 weeks, Blenheim female 9 weeks. Two are in the Indy area, Blenheim male 9 weeks and a Black and White, no brown, female and the rest are in Cleveland. All but one puppy has at least one hernia, which can be repaired at time of spay or neuter. Adoption fee $550 plus $100 spay/neuter deposit, which is refunded upon proof of surgery. We are taking applications now.

(I am a little too far away but does anyone know anything about this organization?)
    Bishop's parents

Post Thanks / Like

I've always been suspicious of them. Always puppies, lots of cavaliers, and other purebreds. That is not my idea of a rescue. In fact, they are probably providing a tidy steady income for the mills they purchase the puppies from. Adoption fees likely provide a profit for them.

Post Thanks / Like

I second you Nancy - it seems like this rescue has always got Cavalier puppies.. If they were a real rescue wouldnt they be adopting out the mom and pops too?? I can't count how many times I've seen SEVERAL (not just one) cavalier puppy on there without an adult to correspond with it.. as a matter of fact I don't know if I've ever seen an adult from that rescue
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know this. It did seem a bit odd. Please remove if this isn't legitimate! I certainly do not want to promote puppy mills. It's so hard when you see Rescue to know that they are not true rescue organizations--I'm still a bit confused by this.

I guess it's always best to check for their charitable organization status; Thanks for the info.
    Bishop's parents

Post Thanks / Like

No need to apologize! And we definitely don't want to remove your posting. The more people that read this and see what kind of things to look out for the better. And I never want to discourage anyone from posting about a dog they see in need. If it's not legitimate someone will say something. Better that we look and someone can suss out the organization and see if they are legit.

Good eye!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

wow they do have alot of animals,also seems exspensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today I asked a reliable source, who used to work at another nonprofit rescue here in Ohio, about Freedom Rescue. I am not going to mention the person's name, since I didn't ask permission. This person knows the woman who runs Freedom Rescue (in fact they used to work together in the past) and knows for sure that she doesn't make a profit. She goes to a nearby auction, where the puppy mills regularly exchange dogs, and bids on as many as she can afford. She provides care and fosters them until homes are found. My source thinks she should be getting the adults instead of, or in addition to, the puppies and wishes she would try to do more to stop puppy mills. My source can see why people would find Freedom Rescue questionable, but at the same time this person knows that she means well and is not making a profit.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy I am glad you looked into it.

The sad part of it is that she's essentially supporting the millers by buying their puppies. I agree with your source that she should be trying to get those adults out of there. They've gone through enough
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know Cathy.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear. I remember always seeing that rescue and having my questions about it. It's nice to know they are legit and gearing towards the breed we all love.
    Mother to...
    Wesley, blenheim
    Daisy, Tricolor
    & two human rugrats!