• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers, Strangers and other dogs - puppy play school

CavyGirl

Charlie started puppy kindergarten on Wednesday and loved it. Every Friday they also do puppy play school, which is all play all the time. They break it up into small dogs and big dogs. There were about 15 small dogs in Charlie's area and about 30 people. Well, Charlie went around the entire perimeter and would greet every single person, and for those sitting on the floor he would jump right into their laps. He cared more about the people then he cared about playing with the other pups. Although he did go out and meet some other puppies, and would check out all the toys, he spent most of the time making his rounds with the people, and trust me, they readily accepted it. I read that this is typical Cavalier behaviour, but I just didn't realize how much it would be the case. I'm not complaining -- this is great! While observing the playtime, I noticed Charlie was the one and only puppy that did this. Do the rest of your cavaliers readily greet strangers, and prefer people to pups too?

Shelby especially prefers people to dogs. When I first took her to the dog park I'd look around to see where she was...sitting in someone's lap! We had a PawTea with about 60 Cavaliers. It was so funny. You'd be sitting there and some Cavalier, didn't matter whether he/she knew you or not, would pop up in your lap, give you a kiss or a nuzzle, and jump down to go visit someone else. They are so funny!

Cavygirl, sounds like Charlie has the right temperament to be a therapy dog when he grows up! :) :) :)

That's exactly how both India and Chocolate behave in a group setting, and they are both therapy dogs. Chocolate can be found getting a tummy rub from any children who happen to be around. :)

A PAWTEA! How fun! I wich I new of other Cavaliers in my area...

I would love for Charlie to be a therapy dog. :D Before I got him, I was reading a lot about it and thought it would be a wonderful way to give back. When Charlie gets a little older, perhaps we'll look to India and Chocolate for some advice!

its funny bacause my hubby and i were only saying the other day alfie cant be the noremal cav.he is really not bothered by people he is just happy to be with the family.if we have guests he still follows me everywere.mind you he does love anyone with FOOD.

Pippin was such a comfort when he was a puppy. I took him to doggy daycare while I went to work. Very sad story. The woman who owned the daycare learned that her 10 year old son had cancer. She had 3 dogs of her own, but when her son would come to the doggy daycare, Pippin would always come and sit in his lap.

Quite a few times, she asked me if Pip could sleep overnight with her son. I always said yes. Pippin was such a loving dog to this sick little boy. Sadly, the little boy passed away that same year.

Justine, I have 4 cavaliers and they all have different temperaments. Luke sounds like your Alfie. He only likes the family and doesn't really care about anyone else. It takes him a long time to warm up to new people.

Merry is my outgoing one. She'll greet and love anyone. Jolly looks like he might be the same way. It is too soon to tell about his personality.

Pippin has turned into a shy boy now that he is 3 years old. If new people are in the room, he watches them for a while and then will come over to get petted.

That is interesting because we had our second class and the instructor was thinking Kodee didnt know any of the work. I was amused because I was really happy in the second class all she was interested in was meeting all the people and dogs and ignored me and for her this was a major good thing! I know how well she does it all at home plus she trains on the driveway with distractions and is still good.

I wish we had what you have - that is what Kodee needs, just time to chill with other dogs/people for longer than the 5min we get at the end of class. That is fantastic for you!

Cathy T said:
Shelby especially prefers people to dogs. When I first took her to the dog park I'd look around to see where she was...sitting in someone's lap! We had a PawTea with about 60 Cavaliers. It was so funny. You'd be sitting there and some Cavalier, didn't matter whether he/she knew you or not, would pop up in your lap, give you a kiss or a nuzzle, and jump down to go visit someone else. They are so funny!
I would just love to see what you described! That would be so fun.

Kodee - that was how Charlie was in his class on Wednesday too. I had such a hard time trying to get him to focus on the activity or training he was doing, because he was more interested in trying to get the attention of the people and pups. The 5 minutes they do for playtime between activities was not nearly enough. I'm so glad they they do this play school on Fridays. Maybe now that he gets his hour of play time in, maybe he'll be more focussed on his training (or is that wishful thinking?). lol.

CavyGirl said:
Kodee - that was how Charlie was in his class on Wednesday too. I had such a hard time trying to get him to focus on the activity or training he was doing, because he was more interested in trying to get the attention of the people and pups. The 5 minutes they do for playtime between activities was not nearly enough. I'm so glad they they do this play school on Fridays. Maybe now that he gets his hour of play time in, maybe he'll be more focussed on his training (or is that wishful thinking?). lol.
I look at it this way - they are so little, that them ignoring us for wanting to go see strangers and other dogs is invaluable! We get notes and I watch/listen to how to do the next training exercise. Then I work all wk on it at home in both distracting/non-distracting places. As long as she is learning the exercises now, I will focus on her doing it in a class slowly with time. I dont want to rob her of the opportunity to greet and meet dogs/people -as that is what I want to get out of these early classes. It just irrates the instructor a bit she is all tail waggy and smilely 24/7 and not a serious doggie protegy!

charleen

alfie is one funny little boy my hubby thinks he has alot of spaniel in him,he does not leave my side and is very good at recall.hes allways looking up at me ready for any commands.i think we have trained him like a lab.he seams to enjoy our training.

Back