• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fish oil amounts

BarbMazz

With the talk lately of fish oil, I'm wondering what is the "proper" amount to give to little dogs?

For example, I have some fish oil capsules here that are 1,000 mg of "omega-3 fish body oils". These are for humans, and the directions say to take one per day, which is what I do.

How does one decide how much oil to give to a dog?

Barb,
I give Chockie a whole 1000 mg softgel every morning in her kibble - she just snarfs it down with her food.

I poke a hole in one and split the oil equally between India and Geordie, because it tends to soften their stools a little if I give them the full amount.

I was giving Charlie one fish oil capsule a day as well (i cut it open and poured it on then mixed it in). I just recently bought a bottle of fish oil from a holistic pet store because the cutting of the capsule could be messy, and it says to give 1 teaspoon per day per 40 lbs. I give Charlie 1/4 tsp.

Back