• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Crazy coat

murphy's mum

Murphy turned one at the end of February and his coat has changed so much, it's went super soft, and fuzzy. I can't seem to do a thing with it, it just sticks out at all angles :roll:

Is this just his coat developing? It sticks out as if he's full of static, you can't see his waist anymore. I've been telling him he's fat :badgrin: He's not of course when he comes out the bath he has a nice waist.

Loads of pictures I see of Cavi's there coats are either smooth or a little wavy, but this seems to go beyond wavy

The same thing happened to Colin around 1 year. I read (somewhere), that the coat changes after they have been neutered; they go from silky to cottony.

Was Murphy neutered? Our breeders dogs who are all intact are still silky all over. Colin is just silky on top, but the sides of his back have gone to cotton fluff! I find it looks better after I brush him with the slicker brush.

Has anyone else run into this?

yes i noticed this on jadan too. he has just turned one and i was just saying to my hubby how weird his coat had got. all long in places and short in others, sticking out abit here and there...a mix of everything. he was done a while ago. i had thought of taking him to the groomers to be clipped back so that it might all grow back the same or wouldnt it matter? he should go anyway as he hasnt met her yet and dont want to wait too long incase it scares him ;)

Luke's coat is the same way. He looks ridiculous! His hair started growing longer and cottony after he was neutered this past May. However, unlike Merry & Pippin, Luke's hair still hasn't grown longer. It just sticks out all over at odd angles. I too and wondering if he will get a full coat of hair.

If they are just turning 1 yr old their coats are still coming in, so it might be their final 'awkward' stage. You might want to wait until 18-24 months before cutting their hair, as it might be beautiful when it's all grown and it would be a shame to miss it!

Geordie is 3.5 yrs old, and he went in and out of awkward stages. His coat is different lengths, as in shorter on the top of head and back, but longer on the sides and underneath. He looks awful when he needs a bath, but very nice after he is bathed, blow-dried and brushed smooth.

Cathy Moon said:
If they are just turning 1 yr old their coats are still coming in, so it might be their final 'awkward' stage. You might want to wait until 18-24 months before cutting their hair, as it might be beautiful when it's all grown and it would be a shame to miss it!

Thanks Cathy, I was wondering if I should get him clipped during the summer, but I think I'll hold off the now.

He was neutered in August :D

Back