• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A Bittersweet Day for Kosmo

arasara

Today was Kosmo's graduation from advanced class!! I am so incredibly sad it's over - it's been such a long journey for us!! I was planning on doing Click-A-Trick where you learn how to perform a bunch of nonsense tricks but apparently it's going to be a class full of bernese mountain dogs, golden doodles, and labs.. Ugh.. One signed up from my class I am in now and he barks and pees everywhere. That's another thing I never got - how come there are dogs still marking all over the aisles and EVERYTHING when they are in advanced class?? :x Kosmo got "marked" on the other day.. :yuk: :sl*p:
I am so proud of my baby for what he's become!! I can't believe he's done finally with his classes. I still think we need to work on "come" a lot but he's done great. I am most proud of him for passing his therapy test and being a dog that I can invite guests over without having to feel the least bit embarassed. I was proud of him today when I took Faith out to an aisle and I put him in a sit stay - I was a LONG ways away and he stayed in his sit stay until I came back. That is love right there!@ 8)

I think now, in addition to our weekly therapy visits, we're going to look into agility and or rally. I am not sure what step to take next but I surely LOVE taking Kosmo to classes. It helps to keep him on top of his game. When I first took him to class - he sat under the chair for the entire first class almost - like 6 whole weeks.. :oops: You can still find him under there sometimes, but generally he's pretty good and not so much of a sissy boy. :)

This whole training experience has been totally worth it to me. I've seen Kosmo morph from a total sissy boy who has no confidence at ALL to a real cavalier who will do ANYTHING to please me.. although he's still sometimes a baby. :wink:

Graduation from puppy class was such hard work!! We learned so many different things!

b46834671.jpg

Intermediate class was a lot easier than advanced - except for that "stupid" heel command!! I don't know why you humans would ever invent something like that anyways! :roll:

b59199716.jpg

Advanced class kicked butt!! We played so many different games and got to learn stupid tricks that we will never use again! I learned finish, how to weave in and out of my mommy's legs and best of all I got to show off to 9 other dog owners the entire time! :D

Mommy couldn't get the hat on me because the store tossed all the old ones and apparently they don't think small dogs count! Oh well I look bootyful anyways, rrrright?!

b79158565.jpg

ANd lastly, here I am with my sister. I've decided that sometimes she's really not that bad. Don't tell my mom you heard that from me though!

b79158607.jpg

cl*p :rah: Your a star Kosmo! If we accomplish that much by 3 yrs I would be amazed, but 1 yr old - an amazing boy that loves his Mommy I think! I think you should try agility because it looks fun and cavs seem a natural for it with their want to please and endless zooming. But I also think you should find another trick class or do it later. I can see Kosmo entertaining crowds of kids during tricks!

Well Done Kosmo :D

Its such a good feeling for both of you when they pass their tests. Merlin was a sissy boy too at the start but he's come so far - I'm so proud of him too.

Now you've gotta start all over with Zoey :lol: it seems so much harder second time round :( - or is that because I got a Ruby red head :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats to Kosmo! :)

Usually most classes in agility are not recommended for dogs til they are at least 18 months old -- too hard on growing joints and can cause serious permanent problems for them to run that hard, go over jumps etc.

I'd have no issues at all myself about putting any of my dogs into a clicker class with larger breeds. It is good for a small dog to be comfortable around largies and vice versa. Most dogs in my classes have been big dogs including ALL the dogs in my agility classes, 90% of the time!

Males marking is quite normal, neutered or intact -- very hard to manage when you have a lot of males in a setting with lots of other dogs, male and female. It is just what most dogs do -- males anyway, and many females. Leo never marks at home in the house but he will mark in classes. Small dogs get accidentally wee'd on sometimes more by accident than anything else, because they tend to be underfoot. Leo has 'marked' Lily many times because she tends to dodge in to smell an interesting area just when he is lifting his leg, and she is so small. It isn't deliberate marking, just that both dogs are in the same place when the larger decides to mark. I am always having to wipe off her head. :lol: At dog shows a heck of a lot of marking goes on too, as there's so many interesting smells and new territories to leave a liquid calling card on...

Actually a lot of females will mark as well -- it isn't just a male thing. All part of the joy of owning dogs!

:rah: :rah: :rah:

Goooo Kosmo! He is such an impressive pup, and one that we can all be proud of showing off for Cavaliers 'round the world! Yay!

Unbelievable that there is a dog in advanced class that is still marking. Gross.

I was advised to sit this round out of click a trick by my trainer :) She said that there are 6 big dogs already signed up for it and then she has a pack of bernese mtn dogs coming in. She's also had no previous training experience with them so she said it's better to be safe than sorry. She knows Kosmo and his personality and I think that dog that scratched him is going into it too so we'll just wait for 8 more weeks. SHe said if Faith is up to speed then I can have 2 dogs in the same class. . . :yikes It will be a lot of fun though!! :) I don't have a problem putting Kosmo in a class with larger dogs but it's nice to have at least 1 friend because we do a lot of things in pairs..! We had 10 dogs in advanced class - 6 of which were huge! And then the trainer usually brings one of hers and they are all big too. ;)

Kosmo sniffs the other dogs pees in class but he's never lifted his leg there.. I think he knows he'd be in trouble!! I just think it's rude when people let it happen and then just smile like "oops" and leave it. I was looking at a bed the other day and I picked it up only to realize that half of the stupid thing was soaking wet with someone else's pee! :roll: The dog that marks owner works at petsmart.. she just goes "oops" and doesn't say anything to the dog. I think she should at least be like "AHH AHH no!" or something.. ..

I didn't know that dogs under 18 months weren't supposed to go into agility. Kosmo is 14 months now so that's just 4 months away. :) Cassandra said something about an agility camp near me that's in the summer so maybe we'll try that out then. :)

That would really suck for your dog to be marked on at a dog show!! The Cavalier at the Eukanuba tournament of champs was just GORGEOUS! He was au-natural too - no hair cut off him at all.. :)

arasara said:
Cassandra said something about an agility camp near me that's in the summer so maybe we'll try that out then.

This one is really near you: http://www.whoswalkingwho.net/sportsandfun.html They also have rally, a trick class and powerplay. I know there is also Superdogs (the ones you always see doing exhibitions at the Toronto Ex but its in Bowmanville and would be a bit of a drive for you, but they are good!

Way to go Kosmo and Sara!! Kosmo looks very dapper in his cap and gown. What a great accomplishment for you both!

By the way, Wrigley has the same collar/leash as Kosmo does in your pictures. I know where YOU'VE been shopping... ;)

:mexwav: Congratulations KOSMO :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :lotsaluv:

Congratulations Sara!! You are an inspiration to all of us :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

:hug:

Back