• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

changing brands

angie

i know there have been lots of talk on this site about what you feed your dogs and how but mine is slightly different. have any of you changed your brand of food to get a better reaction from your dogs. what i mean is that jadan will eat his food but only because he has too. he never really seams to enjoy it. when he was first with us i made the mistake of pampering to him as he wouldnt eat (big posting on this in the past) and while i have now sorted that problem out and he does eat his james wellbeloved, he dosent run up or show any sort of enjoyment out of it. during our period of changing food ages ago (i didnt realise then that i was just making him soo fussy until i was put right!) he went mad for all the wrong ones. but would turn his nose up after a while waiting for something new icon_whistling tinned food, or brands with colours and additives etc but he would at least sit there and lick his lips waiting or come running at the first wiff of the tin. unfortunatly they didnt agree with him as he has such a delicate tum that they just caused problems. v loose poop etc he does so well on jwb but he finds it soooo boring that you can just see he is only eating it because he has to no enjoyment at all. i dont want to add to it as i dont want to go back to the pampering stage again. he gets his treats seperately. my point finally..have any of you found that changing to a certain brand from another made your dogs happier at feeding time? i so want to have his tail wagging again at feeding time :( i know i should leave be as he is doing so well on it but his spark seams to have gone a bit and im sure tis the food. or am i just being silly :? :?

we changed alfie food to Royal CANINE.he loved it as the food was alot smaller,he is doing well on it and yes i noticed a big change to his coat and well being.i am glad we put him on this brand.Were about in sussex i comr from Brighton,which i miss alot.

Well if your silly, I guess I am too :lol:

Except I never did find a food he'd go crazy for, and like you we've tried a few. He would to start with but then a few week down the line would stop eating. Finally, like you I realised what was happening :roll:

Murphy now gets JWB, which he ate on its own, but normally just before his 15 minutes were up, as if he was testing to see if there was anything else coming :?

Now he dances for his food all the way from the kitchen to the living room(he gets fed in there cause he's so nosey he would leave his food to come and see what was happening). He can actually walk quite far on his back legs, going backwards :rotfl:

Anyway (sorry I was off on one) the reason Murphy dances for his food is we add a little meat to it. I buy some ham, chicken or cooked beef, and then blend it up. He goes crazy at the sound, he will sit and bark at me the whole time. I store it in a small air tight container for him in the fridge. At meal times I pour in his JWB, and under his supervision I go to the fridge, get out his meat and veg. I only add a little meat but because it's blended it mixes right in with his JWB :D

I have Harvey on JWB and Alfie on RC but both didnt have a lot of interest so I also add some meat. I buy minced frozen 100% chicken from our pet store, that way I just take out exactly the amount i need pop it in the microwave ( at this point you can smell it cooking and both dogs come running) then add to their dry food. This only takes 4 mins from freezer to dish and is only £2.94 for a2 kg bag. Its called first choice freeeflow mince. They both get fed twice a day but I just do dry morning and added chicken with evening meal.

My two weren't bother when I fed them on Bakers ( I know......) Since changing them to Royal Canin ( with a spoonful of the chicken mince that Yvonne uses :D ) they both go wild at tea time now - tails wagging, shouting and woosh - gone in sixty seconds - VERY HAPPY BOYS

angie said:
i so want to have his tail wagging again at feeding time :( i know i should leave be as he is doing so well on it but his spark seams to have gone a bit and im sure tis the food. or am i just being silly :? :?
I like to see my cavaliers happy and looking forward to what's in their food bowls. So I don't think you're being silly!

I often add a little canned meat, scrambled eggs or plain yogurt to my cavs' dry food. It's fun to think of things we can do to make their daily lives more interesting!

thanks for not thinking me silly!! ;) . i would so like to see him dance on his hind feet too!! i did try adding meat to his dry food before but he would eat it for a while and then refuse, but he did go mad for it. i suppose by then he had already set into his try it for a while and then leave it fad and didnt know then the 15 minute rule icon_whistling or he would just spit out the dry(hes not silly you know!!) thats why i have left his feed dry and boring by the sounds of it. he is so intolerant to so many things. ANY poultry, even something that had been cooked in it like a bit of potatoe from a chichen stew!!! i asked this as i was wondering on the average who gave what and although a lot of you have so far said jwb there are quite a few royal canine (looking at other postings) which i have been thinking about. will have to check if there is a lamb only one as i can only find poultry varieties in small bags and dont want to get a huge bag and him getting the runs with that too. :? i have got to be honest and say that i have been adding a tiny bit of bakers recently, but that doesnt agree with him either :? though he does go mad for it and it has to be the puppy not the adult. i think its the variety that he likes in it. different pieces and textures where as the jwb isnt. i know not to keep changing it as he will go back to his old ways so want to be sure that what i give him next is his and my last choice and will have to stick to it. i feel i am being selfish in this as he will eat his jwb, but just wont jump for joy for it like i want him too! by the way....we are in horsham. and we love brighton too. ;) ;)

hey murphys mum, have just re read your posting. what sort of cooked beef do you buy and where from? is it from the pet shop or people shop? not saying i am going down that street, but you never know!!! :roll:

I buy it from Tesco's, it's people stuff, I don't know if I should but he doesn't get a lot :?

As I said I blend it up, if not Murphy just used to eat the lumps of meat and leave the rest. He's not daft :lol:

The Royal Canin that Alfie is on you cant buy in the shops it has to be ordered from the vet. I have the puppy skin and digest because Alfie had the runs until he was put on this at 4 months. Touch wood he seems ok. The vets did say there is a fish one they can order for dogs allergic to poultry. Its a bit expensive I think £8.25 for 2 kgs but its worth it. I have tried all pet shops but they do loads of rc but not this one, you can get it on line from places like petmed. I also now get my frontline for roughly half price on this website.

I order my RC in from a local pet shop. I ring up before lunch on a Tuesday and pick it up Wednesday afternoon - great service and its cheaper than any website I have found :D

I'm pretty much the same way, I want my dogs to enjoy their food and love it. Also, my small toy Poodle (6 lbs.) has a very small mouth and seems to have trouble eating some of the larger kibble, so I try and buy the smaller kibble and I also let the kibble soak in room-temp water for only a minute or so. I also will add some canned dog food (of the same brand, in this case California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice), and will also, at other times, add boiled chicken, rice, or boiled egg. I want them to be happy and love their food!

:D

thanks for all your pointers....i knew i would get help on this site..I LOVE IT!!!!! :jump: will def think on all your points and then pick one and stick too it, after all i am the boss of this bundle of lovable fluff...arent i?!!icon_whistling icon_whistling :D

I have changed my lot from Bakers to Beta, to make it more enjoyable i add grated cheese. they cant get enough.

I also add some boiled chicken breast to both Wrigley's and Mia's food and they LOVE it! I started doing it to try to find something that helped Wrigley's allergies--and it's working, thank goodness. Mia loves the boiled chicken, too.

Back