• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What lines are behind your Golden Oldie?

Bruce H

It's really great seeing the dogs that are living so long. With all the bad news that we hear of dogs dieing too young of various diseases, it's nice to hear some good news. For those of you with the Golden Oldies, if you have the information, would you mind posting the lines behind your dog? Even if it's just the name of the dam and sire.

I think it would be very interesting (at least to me) to see what lines are behind these long lived dogs. I think all the good breeders try to watch and keep track of that kind of thing. After all, it doesn't do much good to breed the prettiest dog in the world and win all kinds of titles, if the dog develops MVD or SM and dies at 6 years old.

So any information you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!

This fascinates me too Bruce - and one of the new members to CT, Bet, has been researching pedigrees and long lived dogs for many years - I'm hoping she might contribute to this thread? :flwr: :flwr:

Rupert - dob 11 Jun 1996

sire Ch Mareve Indiana {died aged 11} - Dheripark Aodhan out of Bengrove Anarima at Mareve

dam Tamyse Bryony at Derenmar {died aged 12} - Hillyacres Cotton On to Keyingham out of Tamyse Truly Fair

this is one of my favourite websites

www.worldpedigrees.com

Golden Oldies

Could I be permitted to say how so many of those Golden Oldies ,look like the Cavaliers that I remember of 20 years ago

many of to-days Cavaliers do seem to have a different appearance.

Am I biased ,but the Golden Oldies look for me ,what a Cavalier should look like

Bet Hargreaves

Re: Golden Oldies

Bet said:
Am I biased ,but the Golden Oldies look for me ,what a Cavalier should look like

Bet Hargreaves

I agree totally, they remind me of the Cavaliers that I knew as a kid, going back 30+ yrs, they seem to look and be so very different...perhaps thats why I adore the golden oldies!

Alison.

Do they really look different? Are there photos online of Cavs from 20 years ago? What are the differences? Would physiological changes have contributed to the endemic spread of SM, for instance?

Lisa_T said:
Do they really look different? Would physiological changes have contributed to the endemic spread of SM, for instance?

I personally think they do look different. The heads seemed larger then. Wider, broader, deeper. The eyes were like big round pennies. As a kid I remember that the eyes almost bulged not like the smaller set eyes of now.

I believe myself that many things can contribute to SM. Genes playing a large part in it naturally....but I do wonder if head size or even the head shape is a factor as well.

Alison.

My mom's dog -- who will be 8 in July -- comes from Roycroft lines. I know her breeder Laura Lang has a lot of longlived dogs (14 and 15). Lucy (Blu) has Alberto of Kindrum and Rutherford Elliot of Shagbark as great-grandparents. Her full pedigree is here:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/blupg.htm

Back