Thread: Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred

Fred, July 1982-January 1997.

Fred was less than thrilled when I was born in 1985; as my parents put it, he was no longer "top dog" in the house, with my parents' attention re-directed to a baby. In fact, he never quite got used to doing what I asked of him. He was never a mean dog, though. For the last four years of his life, he had the company of another person, my little brother. He was an independent dog, but even if he wasn't cuddly, we all adored him. He was super-fluffy in the winter (as seen in the above pic), and very sleek with his summer haircut (also much less grey looking and more black-and-white).

Fred loved barking at thunderstorms and the vacuum cleaner. He was wonderfully spirited; he pranced around a lot, and my parents said that if he hadn't come with a name, they would have named him Prancer.

When they got him as a puppy, my parents were told by the vet that he would probably end up being 40 pounds. Wrong-o! He was more like 75. As much as we loved him, my mom had difficulty lifting him into the car when he got older and said that if we ever got another dog, it would be one she could carry easily. This is what led us to our Cavalier a year and a half after Fred passed on.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred was beautiful!!! What a gorgeous dog.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Fred is beautiful, sorry about your loss.....welcome to the wonderful world of Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing Fred's story with us. You were an adorable child and Fred was certainly a handome lad. I'm sure he's chasing butterflies over the rainbow bridge.
    Mum to Tucker, born May 14, 2005

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Even though we've been without him for ten years now (I can hardly believe it), sometimes the memories feel very recent - which is both happy and sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Fred is gorgeous & I hope he is having fun hanging with the other guys at the Rainbow Bridge. Yeah, we remember them like it was yesterday. I still remember keenly our first family dog, a German Shepherd that was there to welcome me into this life, and I am now in my 50s. They sure leave their mark on us.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Fred was a loverly looking dog so sorry for you there is always some think special about a dog that you had has a child every dog has it own place in your heart----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney----Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred was gorgeous Thank you for sharing your story
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

Post Thanks / Like

great picture!
    i think the name Fred suits him well.
    i enjoyed hearing about Fred, he was more than a dog, it seems.