• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Expert opinion needed please!

Bronte

I have heard alot of talk on the dog shows and from other forums about dogs with "really great heads".

I know a "proper" Cavalier has a certain way the head should look.

Which of these puppies do you think has the "best head"?

Thanks to all who respond. ;)

1)
Charlotte1.jpg

2)
Robbiehead.jpg

3)
Houstonface.jpg

Hi, I'm not an expert, but I've read about this topic, and my understanding is that it's difficult to tell at such a young age. As the puppy grows, his/her head and face changes quite a bit, and the jaw can actually become undershot or overshot, then possibly correct itself again! Same with the padding under the eyes - it may or may not develop later as the face matures. It would be difficult to predict how long their snouts will be and how their ears are set at this young age.

I seen dozens of Cavs but I have to say this is my favourite looking one ever!

Meet littleMac:
Littlemacpuppy.jpg

Perfectpuppylilmac.jpg

I love all... icon_whistling

I know I'm not a great help :flwr:

Maybe Bruce or other breeders can give you better advice!

Personally, I think that the tiny pups are far too young to pick for head shape. I know some breeders who will not actually decide whether a pup is of show potential until he/she is at least 4 or 5 and sometimes 6 months old.

I've heard that too, they gives them until 5 or 6 months and then decide if they will show him/her or him/her will go to a pet family.

they are very young ..............if i were picking i like the head on the first picture ....Just my opinion :flwr:

the spot is nice but i think the top pupy has more fill under the eyes ..all look very nice but my money would be on that one :)

inca said:
the spot is nice but i think the top pupy has more fill under the eyes ..all look very nice but my money would be on that one :)

Did you see the post above of Littlemac?
That is the look I really hope mine has.

Kris and I just sat down and we both looked at the 3 pictures. We both agree that we like #1 best. The ear set is a little better; a little higher and a little further forward. It frames the face a little better. In particular we think the eyes are nicer. They are more round than #2, which would be our second choice.

It also looks like there may be a little freckling starting with #1, but it's a little hard to tell for sure. Some freckling is allowed in conformation showing, but excessive freckling is considered a fault.

Having said all this, I agree with others that they're very young to make any kind of definative decision for the correct head. We have two boys (about 14 weeks old) right now that we are hanging on to them til they are about 5 or 6 months old to see how they develop. If they continue do develop as well as they have so far, we will be looking for show homes. And still things can change. I'm quite sure any breeder will tell you about puppies they kept that they should have let go and puppies they let go that they should have kept.

Awww your lil baby is adorable as are her litter mates and Lil Mac

I agree with everyone else that the pups are probably too young to tell now as they grow and change so much when they are small

My lil Ellie was held onto by my breeder until she was 5-6 months to see how well she turned out In the end she may not be the perfect show dog but she is the perfect pup for me and I couldnt be happier with her
:D

Thanks Bruce and Kris..that was all great info!

#1 is the one i think looks the best as well ...she looks so sweet and the breeder said she is perfectly marked.
I thought I would post a few more photos of the puppies I have to pick from:

#2 Side View:

Robbie.jpg

#3 Another side head shot:
Houstonhead.jpg

AND here is Dad to all as a baby and now:

BabyKenny.jpg

Kenny_at_12_months_010.jpg

Back