• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often do you walk your cavies...

How often do you walk your cavie .. ?

• 1 -3 hours every day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • every day

• few times a week

• few times in month

• Total voters

Andrea&Diva´s mom

I was wondering how often you walk your cavs, ;)

Andrea and Diva get about 1-3 hours every day , they also get to run free in the country at least every day, which they absolutely love ! and they do have their own space in there garden, were Diva loves to cath flies and butterflies and she could spend the whole day there :lol:
I know this may sound alot at least my friends think this is very much for a small dog, but my babies loves to go out for a walk, and if they don´t get there walkies every day they get a kind of a frustrated (i´m not sure how to say it) and won´t stop begging you for a walk with these puppy eyes :shock: :D

I walk my girlies every morning for about an hour at the beach and later on in the day they go to the park for an hour or so. This past week-end we've had them in the wicklow mountains and forests and they loved it.
As soon as the evenings stay brighter for longer , they will have three good walks every day.

:flwr:

I am lucky enough to have a decent sized fenced in backyard, so they get most of their exercise ou there. We do like to take them around the block a few times a week though. 8)

we walk a few times a week, but we are in puppy training and trying the loose leash walk (which seems almost impossible). if we weren't trying to train that it would be everyday for about an hour depending on weather.

well, my biggest challenge is getting Sohpie (who is overweight) convinced that walking is as much fun as going to the park, riding around looking at the buffalo! She sits in front of the car door and has a really hard time deciding that a walk is more fun than a ride :lol:

Speaking of walks - my daughter (who is disabled) walked two of our dogs last night and was attacked by a pit bull mix (who is as tall as a Gr. Dane) last night - luckily she wasn't hurt. This dog also chased me last weekend when I was walking the dogs and I have a $675 damaged car panel where he ran into my car on a dead run last summer! AND, the guy has never once apologized to me for any of this! (sorry for the venting so early)

Sheri

really depends on the time of year .....mine like a walk out but in the winter really don't mind

Mine get a 'short' walk with me of about 40 minutes and then a long walk when my youngest gets home. He's usually out with them about 1 1/2 hours or so. We also spend time playing in the garden, or, if the weather is bad, in the house & in the summer they love nothing better than to go to the beach or to the Malverns.

Sheri - that's terrible!!

If it were up to my guys they would walk several times a day. Unfortunately I don't have the time luxury for that. But every evening we go for a walk for at least 1/2 hour to an hour.

I walk mine every day for 20 minutes and twice if I can if it's not raining they hate the rain and won't go out in it!

I also play fetch with them indoors in winter and outdoors in summer so they get a fair bit of exercise.

When the long evenings come in they will get a short walk in the day and a longer walk in the evening

Every Saturday (and often on Sunday as well) Cinder gets to "go to the park!" (and yes those four words cause the eyes to pop open and the ears to perk up and the tail to start whapping madly!) :lol:

We have a fabulous huge off-leash dog park nearby where we take him. We throw the ball for hours and he sniffs about 1,000 doggie-bums!! :D

We also take him for shorter excursions during the week (generally limited to about half-hour walks on a few weekdays as well).

Cinder has super-high ball motivation so fortunately it is easy for us to get the lil-guy some exercise even in the backyard when it's particularly icky outside :D

we take lady for a big walk at the weekend only let her walk about 15 mins then we carry her the rest of the way. She plays in the garden for about 20 mins three times a day now the weathers getting better and we play in the house. And do training sessions through the day and evening.

During the week we go for two short walks, morning and night, and at the weekends we do these plus a couple of miles somewhere nice he can get off and run :D

During the summer, and the lighter nights we normally go for a longer walk at night, 45 minutes - 1 hour

i walk levi for 20 mins in the morning and the same again after school with my daughter but if its raining i have no change of getting him out of the house, only when hes busting for a wee then he walks on 3 legs ive never seen any thing like it :lol:

We have a fenced back yard in which I throw the ball for her a lot and sometimes invite the neighbor doggie (Shih Tzu - Poodle Mix) over for a playdate. They chased each other (OK, Daisy did most of the chasing), for about a half hour and I thought Daisy was going to have a heart attack, she was so wiped out. She literally laid flat out on the hardwood floor with her tongue lolling out onto the floor panting for about 20 minutes. I was starting to worry.

In addition to that free running in the backyard several times a day, I take her on walks a few times a week around the neighborhood or on a nature trail near us. I hope to walk her nearly every day once school gets out for the summer.

The bad thing about walking her on the leash is that she is a puller (despite 2 8-week sessions in obedience), so I worry that she is choking herself, plus I get very frustrated with her. I think she might be getting a tiny, tiny bit better on that. I walked her this morning and towards the end she was actually walking beside me some of the time. Maybe we're getting it figured out. I actually think she now "knows" what I want her to do, but she is just so excited that she can't help herself. I hope it will get better as she gets older. We have our graduation from beginner obedience class coming up in 3 weeks and I'm hoping she will at least listen to me part of the time in terms of heeling. (She's awesome at sit, stay, down, etc. -- it's just when we start moving that she goes ballistic.) I know the other dog owners in the class watch my little piece of popcorn hopping around and lunging, running, etc. at the end of the leash during the class, so if she actually did what she was supposed to during the test, they'd probably faint with the shock of it! I think she may do better because the other dogs won't be on the floor with her. That's the major part of the problem -- other dogs and people she just can't resist approaching.

Living on acres and with 4 dogs I do not need to walk mine, unless of course we need to walk somewhere. ;)

you would think that jadan would get all the excersise he can living right next to a park but if we take him there the first thing he does off leash...well ok second after a pee and third after a poo is find a nice looking/smelly something and run to the middle of the soggy boggy rain drenched park and lay down and munch on it until i have given up and had to go out onto it and get him back!!!! :lol: :lol: sooooo depending on if i am working that day. if yes then its on leash 20 mins round the park. then an hour when i get home round the streets. (will be more when evenings longer)i only work two days. if i am not working then off leash in a different park or river for 1hr in morning then half hour after school plus inbetween if we visit sisters etc. then again in evening for 30min to hour depending on which route we take. he doesnt really play in our yard unless someone plays with him...or the cat runs!!!but otherwise he will sleep if i am busy doing stuff. i think it depends on how much energy i have as to how much he has!!! :D :D plus on weekends we drive out on nice days and come across the nicest places we would never have found if we didnt have our walks, and to keep hubby happy....we usually try and find a walk with a watering hole at the end icon_whistling

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Mine get a 'short' walk with me of about 40 minutes and then a long walk when my youngest gets home. He's usually out with them about 1 1/2 hours or so. We also spend time playing in the garden, or, if the weather is bad, in the house & in the summer they love nothing better than to go to the beach or to the Malverns.

Donna

Your furbabies are very spoiled I would say, lucky boys. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Due to the weather here and our lovely climate my boys are only getting walked about 3 to 4 times a week.

That will definetely be daily when we get rid of all this muck, we went from freezing cold to mud. :yikes :yikes :yikes

I have a large yard as well, and my Sophie gets lots of execise in it.
so I voted a few times a month, another reason I don't walk her more regulary is she pulls so much on the leed :dogwlk:

Well I was up till this week it was about 1-2 hours a day well on tuesday morning I had a fall and hurt my back so we are not doing has much roll on the next week or two until it is back to nomal---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

ouchAileen hope your feeling better soon back pain can be a pain, have you tried those pads that warm up on contact with your skin?

Back