• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dog/Puppy crates

quoman

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase a dog crate for our blenheim puppy, has anyone got any idea of the correct size, The one I'm looking at is
61x43x56 (cm's), it says its suitable for all 'toy' sized dogs but shoud I be looking to go larger, maybe for a medium sized dog to give it more room.
It will only be for in the car as he has his own bed in the house.
thanks

Good question!

I crate trained my Golden Retriever and his crate would be WAY to big for Charlotte who I plan to potty train the same way.

Does anyone know a good size/brand?

I don't know what's available in the UK, but here in the US, these Precision crates are pretty nice. PetCo stocks them. http://www.precisionpet.com/productPage.asp?pid=316&Sub=30&Cat=17 They come with divider panels so that you can make the inside smaller for a tiny pup, then remove the divider when the dog is grown and needs more room. The doors are easily removable, which is a nice feature if you want to use it only as a "den" later on. Also, there's one model that has a door on the top, which can be handy at times.

Here's the page that has the different dimensions and where you can see how they work http://www.precisionpet.com/productPage2.asp?pid=316

We have a 30" one and a 24" one. The 24" size is what I'd call "cozy" for an average Cavalier--really plenty big enough for short periods of time. But if you might be leaving your dog for a few hours on occasion, the 30" is going to allow a full grown dog more room to stretch out (you know, do the Cavalier sprawl!).

We use the fleece beds, which fit nicely inside them (with the rolled edges that make great chin rests). http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro...erch_1.aspx?cm_re=177-_-TopSellers2-_-1005162

Edit--sorry, for some reason my live URLs didn't "take" so you'll have to copy and paste...

Thanks Mom_of_2_Cavies & duncans_ma for all the info!!

I am going to go to my local Petco and check out the Precision size 30 and the little fleece bed you recommeded as well.

:drivecar:

I'll just give my usual answer.....

Get the biggest one you can fit into the area you will be using. Look at having 2 crates... one for the house and one for the car.

Ellie uses a Petmate VariKennel in Medium She has used that since she was a pup at her breeder's house and she uses it now It seems perfect

kennel

My breeder also recommended the Petmate varikennel, but we got a wire one... she said no larger than the 24 inch, which is what Bianca's mom uses. Bianca also has the laundry room, though, if we are out. Also, Bianca loves the fleece bed as someone else already mentioned. She loves to prop her head up on it! I also bought a fleece blanket from woofwoofcoats. She goes right there when I am on the computer; it reminds her of the bed in her crate. That is, when she's not on my lap! :D -Natalie

Ellie's Mommy said:
Ellie uses a Petmate VariKennel in Medium She has used that since she was a pup at her breeder's house and she uses it now It seems perfect

That is a nice crate! What size did you get Ellie?

Back