• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leash for two dogs

Jen

For those of you with multiples, what leash or coupler do you recommend?

Got a new one for you guys!! I just bought the buddy system. http://www.buddysys.com/

I just love it!!! It's great for two dogs. Of course, I've added my own touches. I have an outward hound flexi-leash bag to it. It has a velcro strap so I can just attach it to my waist leash. I also have a velcro treat bag coming to attach to my waist as well....for full poop bags :lol:

I do have the petwalker plus and like it as well. But I LOVE the hands free!

I've often wondered about a leash for 2 dogs. With the big strong Boxers I've never been game to try one out, but now that we have the little CKCSs I'm thinking that I'd like to try it with them (well, when Beau is a bit older & more sensible anyway).

So, how do you train two dogs so that they don't tangle around each other?

Caraline said:
I've often wondered about a leash for 2 dogs. With the big strong Boxers I've never been game to try one out, but now that we have the little CKCSs I'm thinking that I'd like to try it with them (well, when Beau is a bit older & more sensible anyway).

So, how do you train two dogs so that they don't tangle around each other?

That's the million dollar question! I'm not sure Gus is ready for this...or maybe Abbey's not ready to be pulled around by her brother! :lol:

The coupler has a swivel that turns so the dogs don't get tangled.

My Darby is a real puller, and he often takes Dudley for a walk. :shock: :shock:

We are working on this in training classes right now, but I have to take Darby for a walk on his own. Then my darling Dudley is crying. :( :( :(

Anyway my hubby also bought a smaller coupler that keeps them closer together. I prefer the longer one.
;) ;)

So I guess one wouldn't even consider it until both dog are walking nicely on a leash as individuals? Sounds like double trouble to me... but when the time comes, I'm sure going to give it a try.

This is the one we got: http://tinyurl.com/3xwcsd

They usually have them at any Petsmart, Petco or Pet Goods. Just make sure there is a swivel where the coupler attaches to the leash. We can use 2 couplers and 2 leashes and one of us can walk all 4 dogs without a problem.

Wow, walking four dogs at once - I'd love to see a picture of that! I find it impossible to walk our three at the same time, mainly because Honey is so slow and the other two are so fast!

I can see why couplers would be helpful but I kind of like the fact the dogs can go their seperate ways and explore when they're on seperate leashes.

I can't walk my 3 together without loosing the will to live :lol: I like the idea of the coupler etc but does anybody use them with front attachment harnesses?

Ste said:
I can't walk my 3 together without loosing the will to live :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Our youngest (and largest) wears a front attached harness (gentle leader) when he's on the coupler and he walks along nicely.

I use a halti brand multi-purpose lead, i bought from Pets at Home. It is soft fabric and has dual hooks and several metal rings. These enable you to have a very long lead for one dog, normal length leads for two dogs or, as I often use it, as a variable length for each, so you can alternate having one dog walk close and the other given more freedom. It can also be worn as a belt lead or looped over the shoulder to leave hands free.

What I really like about the buddy system is that Shelby is no longer attached to Jake, now she's attached directly to me. So if one stops it doesn't pull the other over. I control who's gets pulled :D The leashes are adjustable. So Shelby has a little more leash since she likes to walk just off to my side and in front whereas Jake likes to lag behind a little. The tabs on the belt slide around very easily and they have a clip so you can unclip the leash if they get tangled, although that's not been much of a problem. I wouldn't use this with dogs who aren't used to walking though. My guys walk nicely most of the time so it works well for us. I love the idea that when I foster I can simply clip on another lead for a third dog.

Back