Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bark Collars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bark Collars

So Lately every time Jeremy goes out he barks, whether I am with him or not. He can see out all sides of our garden as we are on a property. It is driving me spare and have tried everything i can think of but to no avail. I certainly wouldnt use the electronic ones but a while ago i saw the citrus ones at work. What does everyone thinkof these collars. It wouldnt be left on him all the time, just used as a training method. Thanks for any thoughts and info in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Selina,

I got the spray commander collar, they are great!!! They have a remote control so when puppy does what he is not supposed to do you spray him, Prince only had it on him for a very short while and he really has changed for the better
    Sue, Prince (B&T, DOB: 28/09/2001) & Lucy (Tri, DOB Unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

What do they do? I am very curious now...I have never heard of a spraying collar. Does the citrus sting them?
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sue.k
    Hi Selina,

I got the spray commander collar, they are great!!! They have a remote control so when puppy does what he is not supposed to do you spray him, Prince only had it on him for a very short while and he really has changed for the better
    I have not seen this type, it sounds interesting. Having the control over when to activate it makes it interesting. Overall I think it could be over-used if your not careful, but when you get into those issues that everything else hasnt worked it might be worth investigating.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the citronella collar, ONCE, with Jake and did not like it at all. It startled him so badly. Also, I don't want him to think that every time he barks he's going to get squirted in the face. There are times I want him to bark. What I want him to learn is to stop barking when I tell him to. And we're working on that!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

A cavalier in our agility class wears one of the citronella ones and his Mommy says it works very nicely for him. I have never heard him bark so I guess it works pretty well! I also know that the ASPCA approves of the citronella ones so I wouldn't have a problem using one.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

I found this link:
    http://www.mightypets.com/subcat.asp?0=327

Is this what you are talking about? What if it go up their nose? that would be horribly uncomfortable! Are there other models?

Post Thanks / Like

I donnot know much about these collars but a friend put one on there dog and it sprayed him when he bark they said they would rather have him bark them put him though that they said that they felt bad because he was so frighten ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I have been reading about these a bit and there are two types, one with a remote, and one with a barking "sensor".

The one with a remote has a "tone" which is pretty much the equivilant to clicker training, as it represents a postive thing. You give the dog a treat every time it hears the tone and it is for when the dog does something correctly.

The barking sensor collar has a "microphone" that senses a bark then releases a spray. You are supposed to praise the dog when they are quiet so there is positive training involved as well...

I am curious though. My cavies are very verbal and the barking sensor can be activated by blowing on it. Will it spray whenever they make their great moaning noises or play growls? I know you are supposed to take it off during play time, but I wouldn't want this sensor punishing behaviors that I like.. I guess the remote control one would be better then.

Post Thanks / Like

these are used for other training purposes too. i suppose it depends what you want to train them to do. recall is one i have heard uses this method too. if you call and they dont respond they get a squirt and obviously a praise if they do. like the electric collars that do the same but the squirt is more humane...well depends on hope you look at it i suppose. i would expect them to have training manuals?!
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!