• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Different sizes of Cavaliers.

Hmm... Vanity's 16 pounds last time I asked (I've been away at college), somewhat on the large side for a female, as I understand. She was almost 20 lbs for a while, but she was definitely overweight at that point and so we put her on a diet. Poor girl acts hungry all the time, but we want to keep her healthy, and she's definitely in better shape now.

Kodee is only 14 wks but looking at the various sizes of adult's here - I wonder about my baby!! She is on the thin side for an adult much let alone a puppy. She is now about 9-10 lbs on my scale and measured around 9-10 inches

Zoey is also 14 and a half weeks and weighs in at almost 10lbs. Shes really leggy and growing like crazy. Her mom was 17lbs, and dad slightly smaller. She was one of two puppies and was always larger than her brother. It sounds like our girls are pretty much the same size!

SiânE was just over 16 lbs when I took her on. Because of her illness I knew she was under weight but I didn’t realise how much. :?

She’s now a very healthy trim 26 lbs 8)

I guess from reading all of this that my little Ruby will definitely be on the small side. At her 11 wk shots last week, she weighed 4 lb. 9 oz. She's very proportionate to her size, and our doc said she'd probably stay kind of petite. I think she's grown since her appointment, but I haven't weighed her again. I just didn't realize how big some of the Cavs can get!!

Elude said:
Zoey is also 14 and a half weeks and weighs in at almost 10lbs. Shes really leggy and growing like crazy. Her mom was 17lbs, and dad slightly smaller. She was one of two puppies and was always larger than her brother. It sounds like our girls are pretty much the same size!

Hey I never noticed another Ontario member was here! icon_welcome . Well they also have in common a love of socks and carrots. We just grow em bigger in Ontario! There is another member about from London too here sometimes.

India weighs 17.6 lbs at age 3 1/2. Chocolate weighs 17.6 lbs at age 5. Geordie weighs 18.2 lbs at age 3 1/2.

I've no idea about their current weights, but Amber at 11 weeks was 4 and a half pounds.

Height wise at nearly 8 months she is around 12 inches at the shoulder. I'm hoping she'll stay at that, which would put in her the petite end of standard. She's in superb weight.

Holly is 11 inches at the shoulder, so shorter than breed standard. However, t's harder to judge her waist because she has a very stocky barrelly frame and a bit of loose skin around the back- but her bum is not exactly well padded, and she's light to lift. The vet told me last time that she didn't need to lose more weight, but I can't help wondering if she seemed skinny to him because he's used to seeing fat cavvies... Amber is much better proportioned, it has to be said, and she has beautiful movement and a well set head. Holly's neck is quite short- which makes her stocky looking, because when they're standing side by side there's very little difference in the height of their backs- its the neck that makes the difference. Odd, that.

DEBBIE - I wanted that blanket but you saw it first! Sigh.

My girls are Mutt and Jeff. Wallis is a buxom 31.6#s, down from 34.8#s at the end of January. I don't know how tall she is - taller than some, shorter than others. I would guess a bit taller than standard. She has a most luxurious coat (except where they shaved her for the ultrasound) and long pretty ears that are bleached by the sun. Tibby is a little stick. She weighs 13.4#'s and is petite. She has skinny legs, thin fur, no fur on her tail (allergies). Much shorter than Wallis. But other than the colors their faces are so much alike - same facial expressions, same eyes, etc. I wouldn't trade 'em!

Different sizes in Cavaliers

This is not about Cavalier sizes ,but I do wonder if the head shape in some Cavaliers has altered .
many now seem to have a more rounded fore-head ,deeper stop ,than about 20 years ago ,when this alteration first appeared ,
SM appeared about the same time ,
A link or a co-incidence?
Bet

Head shape and SM is something I have also wondered about - but I have not been successful in finding any research linking the two.

My Tri boy is 14-15 lbs - but I would like him a little heavier ...
My BL girl is 12 lbs and she is at a very fit weight for her frame
My Tri girl is 18 lbs (she is very heavy muscled) and very fit. She is actually shorter than my boy by 1/2 inch.
My BL puppy girl - at 7 mon. is 10 lbs ...

I think 12-18 is about average - but I have seen some beautiful cavaliers that are larger. There is one that comes to the club meetings that is appox. 30 pounds and he is georgous !!

Mr. Quincy who is almost a year old only weighs 11 pounds. However, he is an active little puppy, eats well, and looks like his weight is right on.

Chelsea is 2 1/2 & just under 13lbs. When she gets a little porky pig she's just over 13lbs. So I guess she's just perfect in the high 12s. Around where I live the older Cavs are bigger & the newer ones are smaller.

Is it a trend? I don't know.

What I do know is that Chelsea - like me - lives to eat & Magic - like my husband - eats to live! Chelsea & I have to work a lot harder at keeping in shape. How about your Cavs. do they love their food too?

Flynn is quite a big dog, not fat but tall and big framed and he weighs 22lbs. The vet says that he is just right for his frame. :D

so great to see so many rubies on this site. Round here Chelsea is the only one. Chelsea supposedly is a 'flawed' ruby for showing purposes as she has a little flash of white under her chin & on her chest. I think that's what makes her special - to me she's perfect. I'm not interested in showing my dogs anyway.

Is it common for rubies to have tiny patches of white in odd places?

camouflagesquarechelseaforphotobuck.jpg

Tibby has a white bib on her chest. And I think what I thought was the "milk mouth" that people have mentioned may actually be a bit of gray hair!

Here in my area - I have seen some of a trend towrds less reputable breeders breeding down the cavalier size - however, the dogs I see at shows and from established breeders are still around the 12-18 lbs range.

Different sizes in Cavaliers

There was mention in Clare Rusbridge's recent Thesis on SM in Cavaliers ,page 192, that there is to be Research to be carried out at Cambridge University ,England ,into how Miniaturisation and Brachiocephalicism alters caudal fossa dimensions,

This comparative Study involving many Dog Breeds with the aim of establishing (1) whether the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a smaller caudal fossa volumn than dogs of a similar body weight and(2) if selecting for certain head shapes has a disproportional effects on certain skull bones compared to others

Bet

Jake at 4 years old is 20 lbs and Shelby at 3 years old is 18 lbs. Shelby could stand to lose a little weight (maybe 1 - 1.5 lbs) and we're working on it. She's not nearly as active as Jake around the house, but she sure does trot along on her walks!! Jake is a perfect weight for his height. Side by side he is head and shoulders above Shelby.

When Linda's Quincy was over visiting I was noticing that he is just a tad shorter than Shelby but so much more slender. Of course, he's still a puppy at only a year old, but he is a petite little thing. So petite that my husband tried to hide him under his jacket and see if Linda would leave without him!! Didn't work though :D It will be interesting to see how he develops over the next six months or so.

I really noticed when both of mine started filling out and getting deeper chests. That really made a difference in their appearance.

Back