• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear chewing???

Oh, this is a pet peeve of mine with Pepper!!!! He has "ruined his show career" several times by chomping off his ear "feathers" on one side, leading to my having to trim the other ear up to match.

My theory is that his ears can get into his food when he eats, and later on he catches a whiff of something that smells good so he goes after it. So, what I am now doing is putting a snood on him when he eats (actually, I'm doing it for both of them, even though Milly has never seemed interested in her ears).

Have you seen these snoods you can get? I'll find a link and do an edit later to post it. My suggestion would be to try a snood for a while, during the day, just to break the ear chewing habit, and then maybe see if just using it at meal times will keep it from starting up again.

Edit: here's one http://www.dog-training.com/snoods.htm

Well it's because she's good enough to eat :lotsaluv:
Anyone can see that, I think she's one of the most beautiful Cavs I've seen :flwr:

I would guess it is for the food that gets stuck in there.
The boys love to spend ages washing their ears.
If not it could be a bite or allergy or mites or something ?
Is the ear hot ?
Is it serious chewing or more cleaning ?
what is the skin condition like when you part the hair ? Pink or red or dry ???
Have a good lokk and you should get your answer as to why.

Some just like to chew hair -- their own or other cavalier's ears! Don't know if it makes you feel any better but this drives some of the show folks crazy -- dogs seriously ruining their ability to be shown or another dog's chance to be shown by chewing off ear hair just before a show. :shock: Some people try spraying something like bitter apple spray (no-chew spray) on the ear hair but even that doesn't deter some dogs. The topic comes up regularly on the cavalier lists with show breeders.

Back