• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccination Question

chestersmum

I took Chester to the vet this morning to get his annual vaccination booster, and when i looked on the receipt it says that i shouldn't take Chester out in public for two weeks so the vaccination has time to build up his immune system, but he's nine years old and no other vet (3 of them) in that time has ever told us that we should keep him at home for a time.

Should i keep him home without taking him out (for the two weeks) now he's getting older or just keep doing what we have always done?

Any feedback would be great. :) :) :)

Thanks

Lisa, Chester's Mum ;)

I have certainy never heard of that in the U.K.
It's normal with the first puppy course to wait but not with our boosters.

I would ring the vet to double check, better to be safe.....it might be different where you are living. :flwr:

Alison.

I have never heard of that either, here in Australia.

The vets do tell us that when the puppies have their first shot at around 8 weeks, we should not take them into public places until after they have had their 16 week booster. But for an adult dog, no.

That doesn't make sense anyway. A vaccination doesn't just expire on the date that the next vaccination is due. Over time is just starts to lose its punch. A dog that is vaccinated say a month later than the date on the vaccination card isn't all of a sudden at great risk of disease. There is a margin for error (or delay as the case is). So why should all of a sudden, on the day that the booster is done, the dog is now not covered for 2 weeks.

I wonder if your vet accidentally gave you the info sheet for a puppy? Anyway, why not simply ring the vet and ask if this truly is the case.

Thanks Alison & Caraline,

I thought it sounded a bit strange, it wasn't my usual vet that gave Chester his vaccination, the lady was a locum, filling in for the usual vet.

On the invoice, it had the vet's notes on the bottom which said about the two weeks thing, it makes me wonder how long exactly she's been a vet.

I don't know.

I know the rules about the puppies and waiting until after their 2nd vaccination, but like i said earlier, it was strange that she typed that on the invoice! WEIRD!!! Maybe she was having one of those days!

I'll continue on as normal as i have been doing for the past 9 years, i don't see a reason to change now! He's happy and healthy and has a great little immune system! He's a champ! (Not an actual champion, but a little sweetie!) ha ha. ;)

Thanks for your opinions, i don't have friends that have cav's so it was great to get your input. Thanks!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Perhaps it was a typo error. Puppies are kept in as they have an immunity to build up, but older dogs only have theirs boosted, as the name suggests. Anyway, you are having a larger boost as it's annual , whereas some are now reducing to one every three years.

Hmmm, that does sound strange... icon_nwunsure

Were his vaccinations given when they were due, or were they late?

Perhaps it was a bordetella shot she was referring to?

Thanks everyone!

Cathy,

We got him vaccinated 1 day before it was due, so it wasn't late, he was vaccinated against:

Distemper, Infectious Hepatitis, Parvovirus, Bordatella and Canine Parainfluenza Virus.

I can' remember if he gets exactly the same vaccination every year, but i am more than certain he would have had the same vacc's in the past? icon_nwunsure

:D :D :D :D

Back