• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rolling in manure

Harvey's Mum

Hi everyone

I took Harvey for a long walk in the countryside yesterday so he could walk without his lead and everytime we came across some horse manure he rolled in it . :yuk: he was absolutely covered in it, what a mess. Of course I had to pick him up and put him in the car (thank god we have a waterproof mat in the car) but what a smelly journey home, not pleasant. When we got home it was bathtime for him (which he was not happy about!!) and also the car.

I wondered if anyones cavalier had done this and, is there something in manure that they like?

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Hi Anna,

EEEEeeeeewwwww! I would not have liked to be at the receiving end! ;)

Chester has never been in a country field where there's fresh cow/horse pies, but i shudder to think what he would do if he got anywhere near one!

He has only rolled around in dirt after a bath (doesn't every dog love to do that to us!!!). Now i make sure i go outside with him and steer him away from the dirty patches, not that we've got dirt, it's all grass at the moment which is nice, he can roll around to his heart's content and won't get dirty!

I bet you got Harvey into that bath pretty quick when you got home!

It sounds like he had that great a time that he wanted to take home a momento of the trip!

All I can say is, be thankful it was only manure and not something dead. :badgrin: Reminds me of our long gone Jake the Lab... ran off down the back of our place and turned up 10 minutes later in some green, foul smelling slime... and rubbing himself all over us & shaking this goop everywhere. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Dog! You've got to love them! icon_whistling

Yes he got a bath quick smart!! My husband opened the door and i shot upstairs and plonked him in the bath. Thank god we had some groomers shampoo and spray, oh boy he needed it.

I would not of wanted to be the one to bath your Lab Caraline. :yuk: that must of been horrendous!! and yes, boy you have got to love them!!

I think we will avoid that country lane and find another.

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Marlon has done the same, but not with manure.
As he walks take him on a beach, he has rolled in a dead bird and a dead fish that had washed up !

No nice agreed !

we dont do the rolling thank god.but what we like is to eat the stuff,yum/yum.but his favorite is the tasty bunny ball poooooo.we took him out the other day and all he did was to eat bunny poo.and if you go to stop him he takes a extra large mouthfull and its run for your life mums coming.whats worse,i dont know.

Jeremy's favorite past time is rolling in horse pooh and he likes to grab chunks of it and carry it around the paddock. Sometimes he delights in a freshy and rolls till he has chunks hanging off him.

Hi

Harvey also has taken a liking to bunny poo Justine (we have a house rabbit) :yuk:

He didn't pick the manure up he just rolled in it, so it don't feel so bad now Selina and Jeremy.

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

why do they do things like that my lady's no lady we had a poo eating situation a few months ago nothing worse the poo burps :grnyuk: could you try teaching the leave it command with really tasty treats for future walks cos sods law he will find something gross to eat or roll in.

Stinky stuff is perfume for dogs... nothing better than eau de manure! My Bentley likes to roll on worms he finds on the driveway :roll:

I think that they think they smell marvelous when they find something stinky to roll in!

They probably think that humans perfumes and scents are really stinky! I spray on my perfume in the morning and the room clears of doggies. They probably think "why does she spray that putrid stuff on herself?! i can't believe she wants to smell like that!" :lol:

You got it, Barb! I've never seen a dog that didn't want to roll in something that stinks - the worse the smell the better. And mine do squint their eyes and walk away when I spray something that I think smells good in the house!

Are any of you fans of Gary Larson's Far Side cartoons? One of my favorite is where Rusty the dog is picking up Ginger the dog for a date and he says "Ginger, you look lovely. And whatever you rolled in certainly does stink!"

Good idea Natalie will try the leave it command next time we go out and will take some treats with us. :thnx:

I am pleased mine is not the only cavalier that has an unusual taste in perfume :rotfl:

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Back