• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poochie Bells Training

I am pleased with Ellie's progress so far. She rang the bells again this morning and went straight out and did a wee....
The hardest part is getting hubby to say' wee wee ring the bell' when Ellie is just sitting near the door :roll: I think he feels a bit silly :D .....so I am training both of them at the moment :xfngr: :sl*p:

I am pleased with Ellie's progress so far. She rang the bells again this morning and went straight out and did a wee....
The hardest part is getting hubby to say' wee wee ring the bell' when Ellie is just sitting near the door :roll: I think he feels a bit silly :D .....so I am training both of them at the moment :xfngr: :sl*p:

Star has only rung the bells on our two nicest days of the year. Both times, we had been outside for a l-o-n-g time. Five minutes after coming inside, she thought it would be nice to go out again, so she rang the bells... :sl*p:

Otherwise, she continues to look at me as if to say, "Are we going outside, or are you just going to stand there playing with the bells??"

Barb B said:
Otherwise, she continues to look at me as if to say, "Are we going outside, or are you just going to stand there playing with the bells??"

Their expressions are priceless!

Molly is finally getting the idea that she has to nudge the bells to get a treat. I still have to hold them right in front of her but it's progress. Bella will ring on command and occasionally rings to go out. She also rings the bell when she has just come back in and seems very surprised when I open the door and make her go back out ( :lol: ) - neither of them really enjoy being outside that much (I'm hoping that will change when the weather gets warmer), so I'm guessing she still hasn't fully made the connection with ringing the bells and going outside.

Molly also asked to go outside last night (only the second time she's ever done this). I was watching TV and she started running up beside me and then back to the door. I am so glad they are both making progress with their house training :p

Can anyone who ordered bells from us please let me know when they receive them.

Some of you guys from the USA ordered and I let you know when they shipped so please let me know when they arrive :D

Thanks,
T

Ellie will ring the bells on command, and she is ( most of the time) ringing them when she needs to go out :luv: I am so proud of her, I didnt expect her to pick it up so quickly. The bells only arrived last Thursday (y)
I wish she would learn how to stop jumping up at people as quickly :?

I think persistance is the key. Lucky sometimes rings them just because it is a nice day out, but he lets me know if he REALLY needs to go out.

This morning he had diarrhea (poor baby :( ) and he was ringing them like crazy. It took him a while to use them consistently and sometimes he'll still just sit patiently for me by the door, but if he really really needs to go out he knows what they are for. :) (hopefully he feels better soon ... I've got a feeling those bells could be ringing a LOT today ...)

Ellie has mastered the bells, and always rings them now....so they have been a total sucess .....She can be a very stuburn young lady and I find teaching her most things difficult ( pulling on the lead grrrrrrr) but the bell training was easy for her to learn

Those of you whose cavs are successfully ringing the bells, how long did it take you to get to that point? I think we've had them for about a month and she seems less interested now than she did in the beginning! I think she maybe a little scared of the sound...but, I also think she knows that I'm going to ring the bell anyway if she just sits there staring at it!!! :rolleyes:

What are we doing wrong?? Thanks!

Is your husband saying "wee wee ring the bell"? :dogwlk:

FYI - I never said that and it was just me training Lucky. I just put a little treat behind the bell and that got him to ring it whenever I knew he needed to go out. Then took him straight out to do his business.

Now he rarely gets a treat - the treat is going outside - and he does it really well.

Well, supposedly hubby is saying "Outside, RIng the bells," or at least "Ring the bells." Might need to follow up on that though!

The Poochie Bell instructions said to not use a treat, but I think we may be at the point that using a treat would be useful! I put pb on the bells at one point and that seemed to help, but not long-term. I put them on the floor for her to sniff/play with in the last week or so and she just barked at them!:confused:

We have only had the bells for two weeks. At first Ellie was scared of them, also we got sick of the noise every time we opened the door. So I put them on a hook next to the door....For the first few days when I thought Ellie wanted to go and wee, I told her wee wee and rang the bell for her and let her out. Then on about day four, we were sitting in the lounge, and she rang the bells herself to be let out. We were amazed. I think we have been very lucky......

I've just ordered some. Mika is starting to get the hang of house training. She is going to the front door most times now and scratching at it. Not always, but most of the time, which is really something. I'm not sure why she goes to the front door, since she has never gone in or out of it, but I'm not going to complain - at least she seems to be getting the hang of letting us know.

I ordered the bells, because while I love that she is letting us know, scratching at the door is not what I had in mind. I'm hoping that she will learn to ring rather than scratch.

We'll see!

The Poochie Bell instructions said to not use a treat, but I think we may be at the point that using a treat would be useful!

I would definitely use a treat. I followed the poochie bells instructions and they don't work! I taught the touch command first with the bells in my hand and used a treat. I still give the girls a treat when they touch the bells. Bella will now ring on command but for Molly I hold the bells in front of her and she nudges it, sometimes I need to put the treat behind the bells for her to nudge :)rolleyes:). I don't know if Molly will ever actually use the bells she prefers the running up and down the room technique to get my attention!

Back