Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: The Latest on Wallis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The Latest on Wallis

    After a couple of phone calls (and pitching one small hissy fit) I finally got the results from the specialist. I had been promised these results last week so this past Monday I started bugging them.

    Wallis's lymph nodes are normal - no cancer there! According to their lab her platelet count was 6000, which is terribly low. The specialist wanted to do another CBC and have a pathologist look at it then, depending on the results, start her on a large dosage that would basically kill her immune system.

    According to the regular vet, the lab work on the blood he took last Friday showed her platelet count to be 86,000. I think this shows that somebody's machine is way off and/or not hand counting to acknowledge the large platelets. Her platelets are functioning normally and her clotting time was normal. Her coagulation profile was also normal. He is still waiting for the results of the ehrlicia test. If it is positive we will treat with antibiotics, if not - ???

    The only way to get a really accurate view of the platelets is through a bone marrow test, which I'm reluctant to put her through. That would show us whether she is just not making enough platelets or if the are being consumed somewhere in her body. He suggested another CBC after we get the results and said he would send the blood to the head of Hemotology at the University of Florida.

    Bubba and I had already talked long and hard and Dr. P agreed that putting Wallis through more testing isn't necessarily the right thing to do. With a younger dog maybe, but given her age and the fact that she is acting fine, eating, drinking, and chasing lizards - if she only has a short time left why make it miserable. This decision is hard to make, but as long as I can keep my logical self thinking and push the emotional self down I know it is right.

    The specialist seemed to have more of a gloom and doom attitude that Wallis could suddenly bleed out without any notice. This may be true; I know what to look for should it start to happen and will take all steps necessary to get her taken care of.

    Again, not a decision made lightly (and not completely without tears at the oddest times), but the decision we are going to stay with. Wallis has given us so much love and fun all these years that it would be selfish to make however much time she has left miserable.

    Thanks for being here with me. Will post another update when I get one.
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    1,177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would do what you are doing there is no point in putting Wallis though any more test if she is still enjoying her life it is a hard decision to make lots of love and understanding coming your way please keeps us informed---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie----Barney---Sam)
    cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky & Sam & Jake
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference. Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chattanooga TN
    Posts
    1,742
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Whatever you decide, it will be the right thing. So glad Wallis is still a happy girl
    Lindsay
    Proud mom of Spencer (tri), Izzy (blen), Tilly (tri) and Howie the cava-cat

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Whitby, Ontario
    Posts
    1,082
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The Latest on Wallis

    Quote Originally Posted by Crittercall
    ...and pitching one small hissy fit).
    That's me to a "T". Sent you a PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Clear lymph nodes are really great news You are right to give Wallis comfort Donna, bone marrow tests are unpleasant My George had a platelet count of 5 when they did his tests but the blood smear showed they were there in acceptable numbers, these giant platelets are causing real problems in determining the real platelet count in Cavaliers so a blood smear is really the way to go. If I had to put my money on the correct platelet count it would be the regular vets higher one. You could ask if their machines do a reticulated platelet count (or an immature platelet fraction as it's also called) this can differentiate between platelets not being made and platelets being destroyed after they are made, some analysers will do this test

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    23,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    I am glad there's no cancer but sorry you are still baffled by the problems she's having. It does sound like someone got one of those platelet counts wrong. I'd make just the decision you are making, too -- .
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,036
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default

    This must be so frustrating & upsetting for you, but yet it is good news that there is an all-clear re the cancer.

    I would be doing exactly what you are doing.

    I can not see the point in putting a dog through really nasty medical procedures for what may simply amount to an academic result.... ie make no difference to the dog's quality of life. I feel the same way about humans too.

    Strength & blessings to you & Wallis.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    8,700
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm behind you 100% on your decision. I think you've weighed the pros and the cons and come to the best decision. If she's happy and enjoying life...continue to enjoy it with her.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks - it's a comfort to know that I've got my friends here behind me!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    9,165
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I'm sure I would make the same decision as you have.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •