• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need some help

frecklesmom

Freckles and Annie wear collars except for grooming and baths. I think Annie has decided that removing Freckles collar is part of her daily chores. I had switched him to a buckle collar and she removed it twice-found it lying on the floor flat (unbuckled). I switched him back to the plastic clasp collar and this morning I find it unclasped and lying on the floor. I really want them to wear collars with their ID , but what is going to work? I'm sure her getting at the clasp will weaken it. I hate to think of Freckles collarless without ID-if he got out of the yard he would be petrified by people approaching him-and summer romp and play outside is coming fast. Do you know of any other type collar fastening or how to make a buckle or clasp collar Annie proof?

You could slide a piece of plastic casing from say the plumbing section of a hardware store over the collr, buckle/snap it shut, then slide it over. I'd be worried about Freckles being pulled around by the neck though if she cannot get his collar off. Why not coat the collar in bitter apple and make it unappealing to her? I think that would be my starting point -- to stop the behaviour.

If I try the bitter apple will he be smelling it all the time? I think a deterrent is the best way too,just hate to have him inhaling her "problem". Have to look up that plastic casing,too-maybe that +bitter apple .

If you bring the collar into your local hardware store someone can probably help. I am thinking aquarium hose would work too -- it is quite firm and good local fish shop will sell it off a reel. Needs to be snug enough that it won't slide.

I don't know if bitter apple smells -- the spray I have doesn't.

I think you need to fugure out how the collar is being removed first ?

Could it be that it is too loose or is Annie chewing on the collar and pulling the buckle or clasp free ?

Either tighten the collar or I would try the bitter apple depending on how its removed ?

not much help sorry.

I would try the bitter apple. You can always wash the collar off after the habit is broken.

I wouldn't let them wear collars if I couldn't supervise them. I'd worry about Annie's jaw getting caught and other injuries.

If you do decide to go the bitter apple route, then put some on a cloth and hold it to her mouth for a couple of minutes - that gets them to dislike it.

I know it sounds nasty, but otherwise some of them actually LIKE the taste :yikes

What a good tip! When Pepper was little, I tried putting it on some furniture corners where he was prone to chew, but I kept finding him happily licking it off!!!!!!! :shock:

Think I figured out part of the "how" this happens. Freckles is taller than Annie and he finds her right ear quite scrumptious to mouth and while he is busy at her ear she has her head under his neck working on the collar. She actually undoes the buckle or clasp( his collar is snug)-what an imp. All I see is the back of her head. Well, no Bitter Apple at the vets but they're using Bitter Lime so ear and collar are now sprayed and as soon as Freckles lets me put his collar back on we're good to go icon_whistling. Going to Petsmart tonite, on the way to Freckles' obedience class, and check out backup deterrent,i.e. plastic sleeve.

I was going to suggest hidden cameras so you could spy on them and figure out how it was happening! Now that you have I would work on stopping the ear chewing which should stop the collar unbuckling. I like to leave my gang's collars on in the house "just in case" (and even though they are micro-chipped) but if I were you I would not leave them together unsupervised until I solved the problem, to be on the safe side. What clever little critters they are!!!

Kodee gets interested in the oddest things at our house. We used to chew the brick fireplace, skirt of chair, metal window opening.... I use the bitter apple and it puts a stop to most right away. I just have to use it on the new chew item for about 2 days and then I dont have to treat it again. I think you'd only need to do it for a few days. So your poor other dog hopefully wont have to have it on all the time!

I'd be worried for now about the clasp type collar as I have had the sides break and pop off before. If he is chewing it, it could brake off. Maybe it's better to stick with the buckle even though he is getting it off till the behaviour stops.

Back