Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring the bell training video

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow Molly all the dogs AND a cat! That is excellent. I considered training to a bell but as adults it didn't matter -- I have to take them out several times on walks anyway, not having a garden, so I didn't want them ringing bells at all different times.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

great video! I was wondering how you would train this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wonderful video and I just loved that dog. Anyway, it inspired me to go out and buy a bell. Now, I wonder who is going to learn to use it first
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by molly
    All 4 of our dogs and our cat ring the bells to go out. Consistency is the key. Each time they touch the bells/ring them, you will need to open the door and let them out (must be harder when you have to leash the dog and take them for a walk). The reward is the open door! Usually, they will ring the bell many times in the beginning. Soon though that novelty wears off and they will only ring when they need to go out.

Our Casey is really funny. He will madly ring the bells when he wants out. If we don't respond right away, he comes and finds us, stares at us as if to say "Are you deaf?" and runs back and rings them again.
    This has been exactly my experience. Pepper is quite hilarious (he's been using the bells for about a year now). Often he decides he needs/wants to go out just as we have sat down to dinner. Since we walk him on a leash, he has to wait until we are finished. So he'll really get those bells going, then comes back within eye-shot of us, to glare indignantly, and goes back to ring them again. He will do this at other times of the day as well--if he rings the bells and I don't hop to it immediately, or acknowledge him somehow, he comes back to find me to stare at me.

Milly is catching onto the bells gradually. She doesn't always use them to ask to go out, though--she'll just come and sit and look at me and I'm supposed to read her mind, apparently. (I do, so I guess that's whyshe keeps it up.)
    - Pat

Mom to Pepper, Ruby boy (b. 5/10/05), and Milly, Blenheim girl (b. 3/3/06)