• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppy jumping off couch

danalynn

I have heard that it is not good to allow a young puppy to jump off a couch because of patella issues. At what age is it okay to let them do this? I can't find this information anywhere and was hoping that someone here might know.
Thanks!

IMO, it is best if you can keep them from ever jumping off of anything. Hard to do, yes. I'm not entirely able to do it. But jumping off can hurt not only their patellas but their backs, their heads (if they land wrong) - just imagine yourself as the puppy/dog's size and how tall the furniture would be to you then think about jumping off of it.

That being said, of course they will jump off of something at sometime. There are no "rules" for this that I'm aware of. Make sure that nothing is obviously wrong when they hit. If they start limping around after you have checked them out, ignore them for just a little while. Amazing how much of that will stop after the sympathy stops coming.

However, if they do continue to limp or show any other signs of injury, get thee to thy vet!!

It's definitely hard to keep them from jumping off of stuff. Ruby is just now big enough to jump up on the couch, and I have to watch her like a hawk so she doesn't try to jump off, which she has done several times. I freak out, but all I can do is try to keep her from doing it in the future. I don't really know of any other way to keep them from doing so.

Didn't mean to get on a soapbox, DanaLynn. Just a part of me that gets out of control sometimes where animals are concerned!! icon_whistling

My Cavaliers haven't ever tried to jump onto the furniture - and I've come to believe that mine are really different from a lot of the rest of them around here. (You couldn't get them to play with a toy for anything.) Wallis will sometimes try to jump off the bed but because of all her issues now we're trying to get that stopped. I moved her steps to try to prevent it and she bailed off one day, so the steps are back.

Don't get me wrong - the dogs do get on the furniture. But they have learned very quickly that we'll pick them up and put them on the chairs with us!

No problem critercall - I didn't take it that way.

We have a 3 year old blenheim who goes up and down when he wants without a problem. I know that I let him start going down by himself around a year and he never hurt himself. Teddy can not get up by himself and only comes up when he sits with me and then I put him down.

I know that in agility there is a certain age they get to start doing the jumps - I guess that was more my question as what the guideline is. - Maybe I should ask that question in the showing/training section.

About a year for their joints to develop. Jaspar was so athletic it was hard to keep him from going up and down as a puppy. Mine all get up and down from sofas and my bed but these are all fairly low. It is very easy for a puppy to fracture a bone jumping off even a sofa though especially if it is a hard floor beneath so it's good to start now to train the pup to wait for permission to be allowed up in the first place. :)

Thanks for the information Karlin. Luckily we have cushy carpet below and he has to sit before he comes up and is either constantly monitored or in his crate.

Back