Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bentley has an appt: UPDATED w/PSOM info 3/22

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bentley has an appt: UPDATED w/PSOM info 3/22

I've made the appointment to take Bentley to the vet for tomorrow afternoon at 3pm. I've printed out all the information from Karlin's SM website, and also information about PSOM.

I'm really wondering about PSOM because everything seems focused on his right ear lately. His ear looks very clean and clear but when I try to look inside with a scope he will yipe, and then look very apprehensive and tremble.

I've also got some short video of his weird hopping scratching. I'm feeling pretty nervous and upset about him right now.
    I know it's time to investigate his symptoms further as I do believe they have gotten more persistent in the last 4-6 weeks.
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Barb,
    So sorry this is happening to you and Bentley. There are PSOM and SM studies at OSU veterinary college. We took Geordie and had him examined last summer and almost entered the PSOM study. While we were there we met several cavalier owners whose cavs are in the SM study. The study pays a significant amount towards the MRIs, if that is a consideration. Good luck tomorrow.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Barb, have you discussed all this with his breeder? If it's who I recall it is, she is very knowledgable about these things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon
    Barb,
    So sorry this is happening to you and Bentley. There are PSOM and SM studies at OSU veterinary college. We took Geordie and had him examined last summer and almost entered the PSOM study. While we were there we met several cavalier owners whose cavs are in the SM study. The study pays a significant amount towards the MRIs, if that is a consideration. Good luck tomorrow.
    Thank you, Cathy. How does one go about getting involved with a study like this?
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy
    Barb, have you discussed all this with his breeder? If it's who I recall it is, she is very knowledgable about these things.
    Yes, she is very knowledgable. I've emailed her a couple of times lately about other things and I've not received any replies. I'll do so again about this. Thanks.
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Barb, I'm so sorry for your concerns about Bentley - he's such a gorgeous boy.

I hope the vet appt goes ok, please keep us posted. I think you have done all the right things in monitoring his symptoms and especially in obtaining video, that will be most helpful.

I hope your vet will be supportive and that the breeder will support you too.

Sending positive thoughts and our love.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki
    Barb, I'm so sorry for your concerns about Bentley - he's such a gorgeous boy.

I hope the vet appt goes ok, please keep us posted. I think you have done all the right things in monitoring his symptoms and especially in obtaining video, that will be most helpful.

I hope your vet will be supportive and that the breeder will support you too.

Sending positive thoughts and our love.
    Thank you, Nicki, for your kind thoughts. My vet has several Cavaliers in her practice; I know she's aware of SM. I've taken printed material in to her before to read. She seems to be very open-minded, and is willing to discuss anything at all so I feel confident that she will be able to help me decide on a good course of action.

Here's a link to a short video clip of Bentley today. It's rather dark, but you can see the way he scratches..and always only on the right side.
    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y41...t=000_0001.flv

The video is two minutes long. This particular scratching time continued for another three or four minutes. I took him outside right after making the video and he continued to scratch out there until he pottied. I would say that most days lately he scratches like this around six times per day
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Barb, I am really sorry that you and Bentley have to go through this. I hope that you get some good news. I'll be thinking of you.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caraline
    Barb, I am really sorry that you and Bentley have to go through this. I hope that you get some good news. I'll be thinking of you.
    Thank you, Caraline. Your nice thoughts are appreciated!
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had thought I had posted something on this study to the SM site but I cannot find it so I guess not. You should definitely contact Dr Cole right away as that may cover an MRI. She seems very nice. You can mention I told you to get in touch -- I was in email correspondence with her but haven't had tome to get up something from her info sheet on PSOM.

http://www.ackcsccharitabletrust.org/research/psom.htm

Good luck on your visit tomorrow.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com