Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bentley has an appt: UPDATED w/PSOM info 3/22

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad your appointment went well, Barb. Spencer was MRI'd in February and diagnosed with CM or Chiari-like malformation. Most of the time I'm really glad I did it since it did answer a lot of questions that deep down I already knew the answer to. There are some days when I think we shouldn't have done it because I catch myself watching him like a hawk and measuring every little thing he does. I need to remember that he's a happy little dog who for the time being thinks nothing is wrong with himself. I need to let him live and enjoy every day I have with him.

I hope you're able to get in the PSOM study. One of the new vets at our general vet practice just came from OSU. She raves about the entire Clinical Services department and particularly the strides they're making in neurology. Give Bentley a big hug from me.
    Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like

Do the MRI and know just what you are dealing with.
    At least that way you will resolve your own worries and will be able to give the right treatment to help him out.
    For myself the worry before knowing is worse than actually finding out. The rest afterwards I can cope with.

Alison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For myself the worry before knowing is worse than actually finding out. The rest afterwards I can cope with.
    I completely agree with this. I was far more upset before I knew what was going on than after, as I now could make decisions rather than fear possibilities. I sometimes worry about what might happen... but what I learned from the months before I had the MRIs was: you can waste enormous time and energy worrying pointlessly about all the wrong things (I though Jaspar had SM. He doesn't and is totally clear. I never imagined Leo did. I foolishly wasted time getting upset over what Jaspar was experiencing when all along it was Leo. And Leo was perfectly happy, and undoubtedly was better off being treated like a normal dog and allowed to lead a normal dog's life).

There are plenty of things to work for and care about that are a lot more constructive and rewarding than worrying about what may never happen. So I do my best not to worry but always am reviewing possibilities so that I have a range of game plans and I hope, never have to make sudden, unexpected decisions for Leo. I do what I can to stay on top of research and thinking, keep Leo happy and healthy, and support those who are doing the research that will give this breed a future.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    I completely agree with this. I was far more upset before I knew what was going on than after, as I now could make decisions rather than fear possibilities. I sometimes worry about what might happen... but what I learned from the months before I had the MRIs was: you can waste enormous time and energy worrying pointlessly about all the wrong things (I though Jaspar had SM. He doesn't and is totally clear. I never imagined Leo did. I foolishly wasted time getting upset over what Jaspar was experiencing when all along it was Leo. And Leo was perfectly happy, and undoubtedly was better off being treated like a normal dog and allowed to lead a normal dog's life).

There are plenty of things to work for and care about that are a lot more constructive and rewarding than worrying about what may never happen. So I do my best not to worry but always am reviewing possibilities so that I have a range of game plans and I hope, never have to make sudden, unexpected decisions for Leo. I do what I can to stay on top of research and thinking, keep Leo happy and healthy, and support those who are doing the research that will give this breed a future.
    Alison and Karlin; truer words were never spoken! I know I'm in a state of worrying over Bentley, and I have a wonderful imagination. I was so nervous today before this vet appt, which was totally silly. I think I will do my best to get him included in this study. If that doesn't work I'll have to find the way to afford the MRI.
    ~not knowing how near the truth is,
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

Barb - no special words of advice. I'm thinking of you. And it's really not unexpected for you to feel the way you do. Not knowing really puts our minds into overdrive!! I think you've gotten some good advice. Keep at it....you'll find out what is going on...and you will deal with it.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy T
    Barb - no special words of advice. I'm thinking of you. And it's really not unexpected for you to feel the way you do. Not knowing really puts our minds into overdrive!! I think you've gotten some good advice. Keep at it....you'll find out what is going on...and you will deal with it.
    Thank you, Cathy. I know myself, and I'm a person who needs to know what is going on. Like Alison said, my imagination gets me in trouble, but once I know what's going on I can make the decisions that need to be made. It's the unknown that drives me batty!
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

Barb...Just know that I am thinking of you and Bentley and hoping for the best possible outcome for Bentley.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with Dr Cole yesterday, and here's the info on her OSU PSOM study:

First, she is very nice and professional. She asked if Bentley had any of three things:
    1. evidence of hearing loss
    2. true neurological signs, such as drooling, head tilt, eye blinking, falling, limb weakness
    3. air scratching, or persistent scratching at the ears.

Bentley has #3 without a doubt, and I'm thinking he may have some hearing loss. A dog only needs to meet one criteria to enter into the first phase of the study.

The study of the dog takes place over two days. The first day is evaluation day to see if they will proceed with the study. It consists of a general exam by, a neurological exam, a cardio exam and bloodwork. The charges for this are at the owner's expense; $240.00

If the dog passes the initial evaluations, the second day consists of
    1. CT scan (Dr Cole said this is the "gold standard" for diagnosing PSOM)
    2. an ultrasound of the ears
    3. BAER hearing test
    4. an impedimence (sp?) audiometry hearing test
    5. another ear test where air is puffed against the eardrum

All of the above are done under general anesthesia. They do not look at the CT results until all tests are completed. I believe they try to determine PSOM using the other testing methods BEFORE looking at the CT results, otherwise the study would be colored. After the completion, they study the CT results to determine if the dog does, in fact, have PSOM. I think they compare these results against the other test results to see if they were able to determine PSOM using methods 2-5. The tests on the second day are free of charge.

If the dog is determined to have PSOM, they do the procedure to remove the mucus plug; slit open the eardrum and flush out the plug. They then do another CT to determine if the plug was completely removed. They ask you to stay over the second night, or to leave the dog there, until they are certain there are no complications before the dog travels again.

She told me it was my choice to have Bentley stay at the clinic or in the hotel with me. Since I'm about 3 hrs away, I'll stay in a hotel, and he'll stay with me there. I told her I was interested. She is booked through May, and will be determining June's study dates shortly. She'll be contacting me as soon as the dates are known.

I could kick myself, but I didn't ask her if the SM study is ongoing. I did mention SM, and told her I wasn't sure if the signs he is showing are possibly SM. I am going to put another call in to her today to ask about the SM study.
    we seek it far away~

Post Thanks / Like

I'm, wondering Barb if those test will determine if he has SM as well? It sounds wonderful if you can find all of that out for such a low fee. I wish we had something like that close to me. I have suspected for some time that Lily has something going on, not sure what. I watched your video and she does exactly what Bentley does, in addition to some other things. It seems to be becoming more frequent, up to many times a day. She is only 7 mos old. My Vet wanted me to wait until she was a little older, and to watch her for more symptoms before he referred my to a neurologist. I will be very interested in Bentley's outcome from this study. I hope you are accepted into the study. Please keep us updated. I am wishing the best possible outcome for Bentley.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shay
    I'm, wondering Barb if those test will determine if he has SM as well? It sounds wonderful if you can find all of that out for such a low fee. I wish we had something like that close to me. I have suspected for some time that Lily has something going on, not sure what. I watched your video and she does exactly what Bentley does, in addition to some other things. It seems to be becoming more frequent, up to many times a day. She is only 7 mos old. My Vet wanted me to wait until she was a little older, and to watch her for more symptoms before he referred my to a neurologist. I will be very interested in Bentley's outcome from this study. I hope you are accepted into the study. Please keep us updated. I am wishing the best possible outcome for Bentley.
    Thank you, Shay. You're SO nice
    I've just sent off an email to Dr Cole asking her if the PSOM study can determine if SM exists as well. On the phone yesterday, she did confirm that SM and PSOM can truly mimic one another. I then asked her if the OSU SM study is ongoing, and if, in her opinion, I should approach Bentley problems from both angles. PSOM and SM can and do co-exist. I let you know as soon as I hear back from her.

Give Lily a hug and a kiss on the nose for me, would you?
    we seek it far away~