• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Awkward question re: doggy biology

cavvyowner

OK, forgive me here, because this is both (1) an odd question, and (2) probably obvious to people other than me!

We have an 11 month old neutered male in good health. We were out for a bit the other night; upon our arrival we took our guy out of his crate and I noticed that he was very swollen in his privates... to paint a picture, it was as if he hadn't been neutered.. (in searching the internet, the best search term I could come up with is "swollen scrotum"). I was quite alarmed as I had never noticed that before. He was acting completely normal though.

We let him outside to go to the bathroom while we figured out what to do. Upon his return, it was gone. Completely.

So the obvious conclusion is that his bladder was full - but is that right? Is that where he stores it?? How did I never notice that before??

Thanks for any biology lessons :)

cavvyowner said:
OK, forgive me here, because this is both (1) an odd question, and (2) probably obvious to people other than me!

We have an 11 month old neutered male in good health. We were out for a bit the other night; upon our arrival we took our guy out of his crate and I noticed that he was very swollen in his privates... to paint a picture, it was as if he hadn't been neutered.. (in searching the internet, the best search term I could come up with is "swollen scrotum"). I was quite alarmed as I had never noticed that before. He was acting completely normal though.

How long ago was your boy neutered? If it was only recently, they can still look like they have testicles in the scrotum for a while. Alternatively, they can also get post operative swelling. From what you say, it does sound like you are talking about the scrotum.

A neutered male can get an erection, and they do get two lumps right at the base of the penis (not in the scrotum) if they are feeing "pretty happy".

Anyway, I'd keep an eye on it. If it has gone away, probably nothing to worry about, but if it persists you could talk to your vet about it.

I think I know what you are talking about, is it more at the base of the penis than the scrotum ?

A neutered male can get an erection, and they do get two lumps right at the base of the penis (not in the scrotum) if they are feeing "pretty happy".

This is the kinda thing I am talking about my two fixed boys get this all the time when they just wake up.

Their bladder is actually up in the base of their belly and nowhere near their scrotum. The scrotum of a neutered dog can look larger depending on the way a dog is lying or if he gets excited (as boys do... icon_whistling ).

You can see where the bladder is located here:

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/anatomy/dog_digest.asp#small intestine

Pretty much the area of the stomach where our own bladders are -- you will know if you really need to go, you don;t want any pressure on your lower stomach! :lol:

If his scrotum seems uncomfortable at all or continues to appear swollen, give your vet a ring.

Perhaps you are refering to the glans bulbae. These are two round organs, at the base of the penis (nearer than the testicles were). They swell during mating to help make a 'tie'. Vets often get complaints from owners who think they didn't do the castration properly.

Thanks everyone for your responses. He was neutered a few months ago, so that doesn't seem to be it.. I guess he was happy to see us (though there was no 'red rocket'..)

Weird!

cavvyowner said:
I guess he was happy to see us (though there was no 'red rocket'..)

So....he wasn't that happy to see you :lol: Sorry...couldn't help myself icon_whistling

Back