• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad potty and destructive behavior!!

the rule is whille house breaking no food and water past about 8pm.

Absolutely!! My guys got their last good drink of water about 7:30 and then the bowl went up til the morning. It's not an issue anymore now that they're older...but as pups that's how we did it. I have to remember not to drink too much water myself past 8:00....or I'm up all night :roll:

OK, so no water in his kennel for now. Check. I bet that solves the problem all together of him peeing in the kennel. Maybe he can get his nice cushy bed back soon then. :D

Well, he seems to be doing a bit better. However, he still doesn't understand "dont pee in my house". I gave him clean bedding this morning, only to find it pee-soaked when I came home, as well as everything else that would absorb pee. It's almost like he thought he could trick me into thinking he didn't pee by making it so there's no visible evidence. :p (Might have worked if the entire house didn't smell like pee when I walked into it! lol)

Also, when I come home he is crying. I can hear him when I'm walking up to the condo. And when I leave, he cries. I am afraid he just cries all day! :(

Oh I do know what you are going through. I had a tough time with Bentley, and I must admit, even tho Bentley is a year and a half now, we still having peeing in the house issues (and I rent an apartment too, so I worry about any carpet damage). But, in my case I do realize it is my fault, I live alone and had to work 40 hours a week, so he had to be alone all day (well, he has Bailey, my toy Poodle, for a buddy), at first I kept Bentley in the kitchen, as crate training just did not work out at all for us. But, I put puppy pads down and paper-trained him, and that worked for us. Good luck, hang in there, it will get better! It sounds as if you are really doing all you can. About the crying, maybe he is crying because he wants to be with Indy if the two of them are separated when you are gone? I know I could never keep my two apart, they have a bit too much separation anxiety for me to do that, so I keep them together always.

:flwr:

OK, so this morning I got up early to take Charlie out to potty. I took a couple treats, and made sure to let him drink some water before we went out. I walked him out to the front of our condos where there is some grass and dirt, but all he did the entire time was whimper, shiver and cry, and look up the stairs to go back home. I was using my sweet voice the entire time, showed him the treats, said "Good potty Charlie, who's my good potty boy, you go potty Charlie..." and was very patient with him. When he was whimpering & shivering, it was like he needed to go potty but didn't want to outside.... We stayed out for a half an hour or more, and I know he needed to potty because he didn't potty in his house (we've been taking the water away at night), and he has the bloated i-need-to-poopy belly. So finally I took him back to the house, and was going to lay down papers in the kitchen and spray them with the potty spray, and sure enough, as usual, as SOON as he steps in the house, he pees on the carpet! :sl*p:

I could have stayed out with him for another half hour and he WILL NOT potty outside. I guess we just have to work on paper training him, and then take the papers out when we try to get him to potty. He is such an impossible little man! :bang:

Well, showed him the paper in the kitchen, and where does he pee? In his kennel. So I change the bedding & clean his kennel (been cleaning it each time he goes), let him out, and he sits with me for a while. Next thing I know he's peeing on the couch. So I tell him bad potty, put him back in the kitchen, and he immediately goes to his kennel and finishes his pee! :yuk:

Oh I just don't know what to do with this kid! He has no concept of "his house" and it not being someplace to pee! Maybe we'll try starting to feed him there too, so maybe he will associate the "if I eat here maybe I shouldn't pee here" concept... I just don't know...

Tried that. :|

We'll just keep trying things and hopefully something will click in him. At least he seems to cry less when we confine him. So we have some progress, just not necessarily in the areas I'd prefer.

Hang in there....he will get it all figured out when he gets older. I can't remember....you had him checked out at the vet too, he doesn't have a urinary tract infection or anything does he? Just a thought....that probably isn't it anyway. Once a dog pees in a certain spot it is SO hard to keep them from going there again. He no doubt associates peeing with his kennel now. Can you try keeping him in a puppy playpen instead of the kennel?

Well we don't just keep him in the kennel, we block off the entire kitchen, and leave his kennel in there for comfort. He just runs in there to pee, stinker! :roll:

:lol: :lol: Kelly, I am laughing with you not at you!! Kelly brought Indy and Charlie over for a visit yesterday. He is the cutest dang boy in the whole wide world!!! Indy is such a sweet little girl...and so tolerant of his puppy antics. But the kicker is....I told her we needed to watch him in the house (I've had several boys mark in the house...on top of which he is a puppy, right?!) So.... no sooner are the words out of my mouth than Jake walks over and pees on my silk tree!!! :yikes Listen buddy...the little guy knows how to go potty...he doesn't need you to show him!!

I was really impressed that out of about 3 hours he didn't potty once in the house. He did go on the grass outside (and dribbled across the patio icon_whistling ). He is such a little pistol.

Hang in there Kelly...he's just too smart for his own good. You have such a good way with both of them you will figure this out!!

Guess who went to the door today, and made the little "urf" noise, then good pottied (#2) outside!?!?!!!

I'm so proud right now. :D

I laid some papers down with the "good potty" spray this weekend, and Charlie peed and poo'd on them! I'm such a happy mommy. ;)

That is great news! I know some people will even take a bit of the soiled paper outside to let the puppy know its ok to go there to (plus you can try spraying the grass when you first get out there. It's a nice feeling when they start to get a connection - isnt it!

So glad everything is getting better. Ruby went through the same thing. She would run right back to the door and go potty as soon as she got back in the house. She still tries to come back in before pottying at night because she gets a little freaked out when it's dark outside and there's different noises. I just have to reassure her that she's okay, and she'll calm and go potty. However, she's only had one accident this week (tonight) after she had the zoomies. She's been whining by the door to go out for the past few weeks, but she still doesn't have the whole thing down perfectly. She's getting there, and so will your sweet little man!! Good luck with the training!!

Back