Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad potty and destructive behavior!!

Post Thanks / Like

the rule is whille house breaking no food and water past about 8pm.
    Absolutely!! My guys got their last good drink of water about 7:30 and then the bowl went up til the morning. It's not an issue anymore now that they're older...but as pups that's how we did it. I have to remember not to drink too much water myself past 8:00....or I'm up all night
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy T wrote:
    I have to remember not to drink too much water myself past 8:00....or I'm up all night
    I hope you're house trained Cathy!!

Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so no water in his kennel for now. Check. I bet that solves the problem all together of him peeing in the kennel. Maybe he can get his nice cushy bed back soon then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He should have free access to clean drinking water all day long!!!

Only take his water away at night.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, he seems to be doing a bit better. However, he still doesn't understand "dont pee in my house". I gave him clean bedding this morning, only to find it pee-soaked when I came home, as well as everything else that would absorb pee. It's almost like he thought he could trick me into thinking he didn't pee by making it so there's no visible evidence. (Might have worked if the entire house didn't smell like pee when I walked into it! lol)

Also, when I come home he is crying. I can hear him when I'm walking up to the condo. And when I leave, he cries. I am afraid he just cries all day!
    Kelly ~ Charlie (M Tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I do know what you are going through. I had a tough time with Bentley, and I must admit, even tho Bentley is a year and a half now, we still having peeing in the house issues (and I rent an apartment too, so I worry about any carpet damage). But, in my case I do realize it is my fault, I live alone and had to work 40 hours a week, so he had to be alone all day (well, he has Bailey, my toy Poodle, for a buddy), at first I kept Bentley in the kitchen, as crate training just did not work out at all for us. But, I put puppy pads down and paper-trained him, and that worked for us. Good luck, hang in there, it will get better! It sounds as if you are really doing all you can. About the crying, maybe he is crying because he wants to be with Indy if the two of them are separated when you are gone? I know I could never keep my two apart, they have a bit too much separation anxiety for me to do that, so I keep them together always.

~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so this morning I got up early to take Charlie out to potty. I took a couple treats, and made sure to let him drink some water before we went out. I walked him out to the front of our condos where there is some grass and dirt, but all he did the entire time was whimper, shiver and cry, and look up the stairs to go back home. I was using my sweet voice the entire time, showed him the treats, said "Good potty Charlie, who's my good potty boy, you go potty Charlie..." and was very patient with him. When he was whimpering & shivering, it was like he needed to go potty but didn't want to outside.... We stayed out for a half an hour or more, and I know he needed to potty because he didn't potty in his house (we've been taking the water away at night), and he has the bloated i-need-to-poopy belly. So finally I took him back to the house, and was going to lay down papers in the kitchen and spray them with the potty spray, and sure enough, as usual, as SOON as he steps in the house, he pees on the carpet!

I could have stayed out with him for another half hour and he WILL NOT potty outside. I guess we just have to work on paper training him, and then take the papers out when we try to get him to potty. He is such an impossible little man!
    Kelly ~ Charlie (M Tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Well, showed him the paper in the kitchen, and where does he pee? In his kennel. So I change the bedding & clean his kennel (been cleaning it each time he goes), let him out, and he sits with me for a while. Next thing I know he's peeing on the couch. So I tell him bad potty, put him back in the kitchen, and he immediately goes to his kennel and finishes his pee!

Oh I just don't know what to do with this kid! He has no concept of "his house" and it not being someplace to pee! Maybe we'll try starting to feed him there too, so maybe he will associate the "if I eat here maybe I shouldn't pee here" concept... I just don't know...
    Kelly ~ Charlie (M Tri)

Post Thanks / Like

try taking the potty spray out and using it on the grass

Post Thanks / Like

Tried that.

We'll just keep trying things and hopefully something will click in him. At least he seems to cry less when we confine him. So we have some progress, just not necessarily in the areas I'd prefer.
    Kelly ~ Charlie (M Tri)