• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reducing Feeding, Is it ok ?

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice. Roxy is now never eating breakfast, she has been like this since finishing her season which is approx two weeks ago. We have always stuck by the 15 minute rule, so she knows that if its placed down she eats it there and then or she has to wait with no treats in between. As soon as her tea is put down she eats it straight away. Is it ok to take her too just one meal a day when she is only just over 8 months old. Its just seems such a waste to be throwing food out every morning.

We feed her half a pouch of pedigree chum puppy food and 60 grams of Arden Grange for each meal. Occasionally we add veggie’s instead of kibble.

You thoughts and advice please.

Thanks

Neither my two year old Sonny nor my 11 week old Beau seem particularly interested in breakfast. I don't mind Sonny skipping his breakfast but I do like Beau to eat something, given that he is so young, so I usually give him a small puppy biscuit and a drink of milk at breakfast time.

I had Jaspar on one meal a day by this age. All mine are fed in the morning only. Especially if she shows no interest in the second meal there's no point in giving it. I give them all a treat or two in the evening so that they do get some additional food, just not a meal. Usually I try to give a substantial healthy treat like fish jerky.

This is the kind of thing you always have to feel your way around with each dog. It could just be a factor of her not being in a growth spurt at the moment, and she will probably let you know when/if she's ready to resume that morning feeding. I've had the experience with my dogs of having the morning feeding refused for a while but a week oer two later they want it again. I'd continue to offer something in the morning from time to time--she'll eat it right away if she's hungry (if she refuses, just wrap & refrigerate and serve it that evening, so you aren't wasting food).

Since some vets recommend splitting their daily intake into two smaller meals, and if you want to continue that pattern, you might try reducing the amount of her evening meal and then she may be ready for the rest in the A.M.

I like Karlin's system of a morning meal and then a substantial, healthy treat at night for dogs on one meal a day. Makes a lot more sense to give the main meal early, really. It's during the day that they need their energy.

Willow has started doing this recently as well - she's 8 months old too - just completely lost interest in eating her breakfast. We actually left it down all day a few times, and she still didn't touch it. So we're just giving her dinner now - the same amount we would have given her split over breakfast and dinner previously - and she gobbles it up and then keeps checking the dish to see if it magically got refilled. :roll:

Krista

Amber did this last week. Which reminds me, I must check that she is definitely eating breakfast and not picking and leaving the rest to Holly.
*must do that, must do that..* I usually give them their food (at opposite ends of the room), check that they're eatng, and then do something else.

Back