• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

saying hello to random cavaliers

ceedah

My family and I are on vacation in San Francisco this week, and while we were driving down the street today I saw something and couldn't believe my eyes - a woman walking a ruby Cavalier! I don't know if I've ever seen a ruby in person (maybe long ago), and I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't wishful thinking. But I was right, and so I excitedly pointed this out to my mom, and asked her to roll down her window (I was on the wrong side of the car) and say something.

So she rolled down her window and shouted, "You have a gorgeous Cavalier!", and the woman seemed pleased and surprised in a good way. And my mom told her we have a blenheim. *grin*

I know dogs have a long-standing tradition of being ice-breakers, but I have a hunch Cavaliers specifically are even better, since at least here in the States they're few and far between. Instant bonding opportunity with literal strangers!

Hmm...was anyone here walking their ruby in San Francisco an hour or two ago? ;)

First let me say, it was not I you saw today. Not in California, and my pup is a blenheim.

But I have to agree that dogs are definitely an icebreaker. I have pulled u-turns :drivecar: , stopped by the side of the rode to visit with a Cavalier or a Greyhound! :dgwlk: And most of the owners are all kinds of gracious.

Hopefully your passerby is on the board!

I ran up to a woman with the one and only cavalier I've ever seen in my city. I saw her in a parking lot, I hastily pulled my car into a parking space, put it in park, and before I even turned off the engine was off running (ok slow jog) across the lot. I wanted to say hello and see her gorgeous blenheim before she could pull out of her parking space. Though I probably looked like a loon she was gracious and friendly.

I can't tell you how many times I've done this!! With varying results :roll: I knew there was a woman locally who had 3. And sure enough...I found her. Saw her walking all three, drove to the top of the hill, hung a u-turn, went back down the hill, turned around again...and finally met her! She was so kind and sweet and understanding....even after I explained I had "stalked" her. Last week met a woman with a puppy...told her I had two at home...and she showed no interest at all. Tucked my tail and went home.

guilty as charged icon_whistling

most of the time, people are really friendly & having the same breed of dog is definitely an ice breaker. i actually met a friend of mine while walking monty (she has an adorable tri). but there are occasionally people who just say "yep, they're mine" and walk on. like cathy, i tuck my tail & go about my way. i'll talk to anyone who stops me about monty so i can't understand why everyone wouldn't either icon_nwunsure

on the flip side, i'm sure everyone on this board has been stopped at some time or another. anyone have any funny stories? i've had people pull their car over to look at him (one girl showed me her wallet pics of her own cavaliers), one woman took photos of him while she was on vacation out here, and one man carried his blenheim over to my car while i was pumping gas since he saw monty peeking through the window (my brothers were in car watching him). :lotsaluv:

I usually hear "Oh, a cocker spaniel" when I have Wallis anywhere. Oh, I'm so insulted. And quick to tell them what she really is!!

I have one of those people that if I smile at someone in a store (or anywhere) they just suddenly tell me their entire life's story. It's kinda funny, but then I realize that they are really in need of someone to talk to. And much as I write on my posts here, I'm a really good listener!

Since we've got a big fenced yard we don't do the walking thing - although it would be good for all of us if we did! And I'd be glad to talk to people if they want to talk to me. A waitress in a restaurant the other day came up to me and said "Is that a raccoon on your leg?" and we were off to the races.

My husband has had women pull over their car and jump out and ask about Maddy.
He has had a boatload of people pull into the marina and chase him down to say hi to "the lovely pup".
We find that we need to plan double the time for shopping if Maddy is with us as we get stopped so often with questions.
The other day we were really in a rush with a deadline and I had to just look past people and not look them in the eye as they said "what a lovely puppy" etc. because I could not stop! I pretended I did not hear.
I felt awful.
Pam

Oh I scared a woman before I got Kodee! I had only seen Cavaliers in pictures when I decided that was the breed I wanted. I talked to my breeder at that point through email. So while driving close to my house I saw a woman and her dog... a cavalier. I pulled the car over, ran up behind her and said Excuse me! Excuse me! Is that a Cavalier? She looked more than a bit spooked by me :yikes But once I explained I was getting one in a few mths but hadnt actually seen a "living breathing one" she talked to me for quite a bit! Since that day, I have probably seen about 4 or 5 within blocks of my house. Acutally that is alot for one neighbourhood in a mid sized town. She told me her dog was from the last litter from an area breeder who was sort of a mentor to alot of Ontario cav breeders. When I was at my breeders visiting Kodee the first time, I found out that most of my breeders dog's started from that same line. Kodee's Mom also from there.

I am amused I am blocks from from this breeder but travel 3 yrs away to get one of her grandchildren! :drivecar:

:lol: yea almost every time i go out for a walk one car will slow down, open their window and tell me what cute dogs i have..

I usually hear "Oh, a cocker spaniel" when I have Wallis anywhere. Oh, I'm so insulted. And quick to tell them what she really is!!

yea...sometimes people come over and start playing with monty and milo asking me what breed i have....once it was a girl and her mum and the girl is like "oooh what a cute cocker spaniel!!" and i was like "theyre actually cavalier king charles spaniels"...and the girls like "ohh ok, mum can we buy one of these dogs can we get a cocker spaniel"... :sl*p: :sl*p: i think the names too long to fix in peoples minds ;)
one woman took photos of him while she was on vacation out here
lol ive had that happen 2 me twice though they used there phone camera...i was a bit freaked when it happened first thinking "what in the world are they doing"... :yikes

Instant bonding opportunity with literal strangers!

hmm i totally agree...there's this couple that live in the same block as me and while i was on a walk they stopped down and said "couldnt help noticing your adorable cavvy's"...and i was quite shocked because not many people around there are familiar with the breed...and apparently they had one but he had died...and now we are quite friendly with one another and occasionally walk 2gether :) good way 2 meet people that share your passion for the breed!

I get stopped every few steps in our town. There was the time I took him to the bank and he was taken round behind the counter by one of the staff to say hello to all the staff.

We get a mixed reaction when I see others with Cavaliers. Some are so excited to see Dylan and even remember his name when we see each other again, others just smile and don't want to talk!

It's usually owners of other types of spaniels, and there are a lot in my town, who want to stop and let their dogs say hello to Dylan.

It's a nice day, I think I'll take Dylan into town and take him into my daughters work. They all love him there. :flwr:

everyone we have met on walks with cavs have spoken to us, and we always get stopped by children wanting to play with lady on walks which i am always pleased about because it gets her used to children. She sits down straight away to be stroked by kids now. She loves all the attention. A man took a photo of his little girl and lady together because it was her fav dog.

I always stop to talk to cavaliers and their owners, if conditions permit.

Some years ago, I was out with Izzy in the front passenger seat of the car, When i saw a lady walking a ruby. I slowed and said something like' Ah, another cavalier owner,' and pointed to Izzy. The lady agreed, but wanted to know how I knew !

Well, the dog was with her.--Then she realised--She thought i meant a Vauxhall Cavalier car, which she had at home. :lol:

If I noticed somebody doing a u-turn in their car and getting out to approach me and the dogs i'd be backing away fairly quickly :lol:

She thought i meant a Vauxhall Cavalier car, which she had at home

:rotfl:

Few know what I mean here when I talk about cavaliers as they are so often, here and in the UK, just called 'King Charles spaniels'.

I was going to say they are good icebreakers anyway even here where they are everywhere. There are about 10 in my immediate area not including my own dogs.

The weather was nice last week so I took Spencer to the dog park Tuesday evening. He was in his Lookout seat in the back and since it was so warm I had his window about 1/3 down. We were stuck in traffic right in front of a bunch of people waiting at a bus stop. A lady came up to the car (SCARY! :yikes ) to pet Spencer through the window. She had no idea what he was but said he was so cute sitting in his seat she had to touch him.

I find people will talk to you more if your walking a dog compared to just walking along. Most people will stop and say hello and ask what Tobys name is and how old he is etc.

I also make a 'bee line' for Cavaliers. I went to Dog-fest in Toronto when I was there last year and only came across 2 cavaliers and the event was huge. Both people stopped and chatted and asked about our Cavalier etc.

Last week I took Cara and Minnie for a walk along the promenade at Sutton. On our way back home, we had to stop at the traffic lights. I always make them sit and wait for the signal to cross. So, we are happily waiting for our signal and I notice a lady in her car, stopped directly accross from us at the lights and she is staring at us icon_whistling then she starts smiling and eventually she rolls down her window and exclaims "I'm just admiring your beautiful dogs!!" icon_blshing Then, she drives off and I look and see this guy driving two cars behind her and as he passes he rolls down his window and , with a big grin on his face, he keeps pointing to the dogs :*nana: All hell has broken loose now since I got them matching green puppias - everyone thinks they're twins :lol:

:flwr:

Pauline said:
We get a mixed reaction when I see others with Cavaliers. Some are so excited to see Dylan and even remember his name when we see each other again, others just smile and don't want to talk!

It's usually owners of other types of spaniels, and there are a lot in my town, who want to stop and let their dogs say hello to Dylan.

That’s the same thing I get over my park as well. I find the owners with the older Cavalier more willing to talk to me.

And for all the Cavalier owners that get mad that their dogs get called Cocker spaniel, be glad that they at least recognise they are spaniels.

Because black Cocker spaniels owners get ‘oh look at the poodle’ now come on that’s got to be worst. icon_whistling

We live in a town of about 12,000. Last fall, we were walking around during the annual fair and I was carrying Annie because there were lots of people walking around. In the space of five minutes we had two couples walk up to us and say that they also have ruby Cavaliers. We had never even seen a ruby before we got Annie last year.

It's amazing the reactions that Annie gets everywhere she goes. The first thing we usually hear is "Awwwwwwwww." Followed by, "What kind of dog is that. What's her name? Is she full-grown?" etc.

Oh a Cavalier....she's beautiful....MAY I????

Guyatpetshop.jpg

Back