• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another tri question

enchantingdragon

The CKCSC says the standard for a tri is as follows

Jet black markings broken up on a pearly white ground; with rich tan markings over the eyes, on the cheeks and on underside of tail.

Ellie has brown under her ears so does that mean its technically not suppose to be there? Is her entire ear suppose to be all black? Do other tri owners have brown under their ears?

Just curious

Bentley has lovely brown on the insides of his ears. I didn't think the underside of his tail was brown, but I just lifted it up, and yep! there's brown there too. By the way, he was very offended when I did that and got down off my lap icon_whistling I guess that was a rude thing for me to do so late at night. ;)

From the AKC standard:

Tricolor - Jet black markings well broken up on a clear, pearly white ground. The ears must be black and the color evenly spaced on the head and surrounding both eyes, with a white blaze between the eyes. Rich tan markings over the eyes, on cheeks, inside ears and on underside of tail.

I wonder why the AKC requires a tri to have a blaze, while the UK club doesn't? India's blaze consists of about 5 white hairs. :)

BarbMazz said:
Bentley has lovely brown on the insides of his ears. I didn't think the underside of his tail was brown, but I just lifted it up, and yep! there's brown there too. By the way, he was very offended when I did that and got down off my lap icon_whistling I guess that was a rude thing for me to do so late at night. ;)

This cracked me up. :lol: Maybe because I've gotten the 'offended look' from both of ours at one time or another.

KC

Well little Whitney has won at champ level (Tri left) so I guess her markings must be ok! she has lovely rich tan on the underside of her ears and her tail is 95% white apart from the base from her body. The rest on her body is jet black broken by sparkling white.

The coat itself is smooth, straight and silky and she was blessed with such naturally long straight ears. A delight to wash and blo dry!

The more I see of Tri's the more I'm falling in love with them! :lotsaluv:

Alison.

I once read that constant breeding of tricolour to tricolour can result in a loss of the amount of tan, so a Blenheim is used to reintroduce it.

CathyMoon- MY little Ellie is the same as you Her white blaze is all about 10 hairs but I figure as she grows itll be about 1 hair :p

Hmmm and your right the CKCSC doesnt mention a blaze at all.

India's blaze consists of about 5 white hairs.

:rotfl:

They should have tan under the ear flaps. :)

What I love about tris is their eyebrow spots and how they are all different -- so some look angry, some look quizzical, some look devilish, some look concerned -- they give a lot of character to their faces. Jaspar had a tri brother who was adorable -- I'd have taken him if I didn't want a blenheim. I always wondered where he went and who ended up with him. He was the liveliest in the litter at just under 4 weeks, which I find hard to believe now, having Jaspar the ADD dog. :lol: Jaspar is my soulmate dog, though, I'd not give him up for anything or any amount of money. :) Now Lily is another story! :lol:

Karlin - that is something I absolutely love about tris!! Kids always say Jake looks mean while everyone else remarks that Shelby looks happy. Jake has a blaze.....but it's buried under his black hair. When I give him a part (poindexter style!) you can see his blaze. We actually have his "bangs" trimmed because his hair parts and then hangs in his eyes.

Both have brown under their ears and thier bottoms. Yep, I've checked :lol:

Gingers got only 1 eye with brown above it!!
Shes got a little brown on her paw, maybe 1 speck on a leg or two and nothing under her tail!!!
Shes my special little gal. However, the tan color under her ears is Beautiful- you couldnt pay the salon to get a perfect light brown like it!

you couldnt pay the salon to get a perfect light brown like it!

Isn't that the truth?! I was brushing Jake the other day and admiring his mixture of colors with the black, brown and white. I couldn't pay enough to get coloring like that. Although I'm getting plenty of the white au natural! :D

I think her little face is adorable...and unique!!

Thanks Cathy!
You know its funny, I never really noticed it (i did but when we were chosing (or got chosen!) It was between ginger & a ruby male, so it wasnt like I was looking at markings. And she was just SO sweet! People always stop me and say what beautiful markings she has. Up until I saw Bruces pic of the pups in the tub and there was on with a "mask" I hadnt realized how much that resembles ginger.
She does have black on top of the other eye with white, which almost makes it look like shes gone gray!!
Thanks foryour comment on her uniqueness-I always thought I was a bit different myself so its a nice match!

I've always thought of the particolours as being wholecolours with well distributed white. Therefore, since BT colouring includes the tan 'painted'- as my mum once said- under the ears, I'd expect tris to have it. And I think the comment re the tan eyebrows applies to BTs as well!

Amber now is starting to look like a ruby with an almost blenheim face. As she gets older, the white on her face is really standing out.

Back