• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lead woes

Chardonnay

So Maggie is almost nine months old and has rarely been on a lead before now. She's doing awesome walking on it, keeping pace with me and her Brittany brother with only the occasional skittishness crossing roads or when there are sudden noises. I'm so proud of her.

However, she will not pee or poo when on lead. At home that's no big deal as we have a fenced yard for her to roam. But I take her to work with me and when we go outside, she will not go. I cannot let her off the lead as I work downtown with tons of traffic. Thus she holds it all day until we get home. This has been going on for three days now.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Hey Chardonnay

My adult Boxers are exactly the same. Have you tried an extender lead? She just may not like the concept of pooping right near you... what a well mannered little girl. :) Perhaps just a bit more distance & the opportunity to wander & sniff around with a feeling of freedom might help?

That's a good idea. I'd also suggest starting to train her to poop/pee on command. You do this by saying which is appropriate of the two words or phrases you are going to use, softly but clearly as she starts to go, then praise and reward when she finishes. Soon she will connect the action to the word and you can start trying to use the word to induce her to go on walks or anytime.

Also, are you walking her much on the lead to get her to go, or just taking her out? Very few dogs that need to go will hold themselves in over a walk if they need to go, because as with us the walking stimulates the bowelsin particular. Just taking her out then standing with the lead won;t have that influence.

Finally -- many dogs only have a poop once or twice a day so not pooping isn;t that big a deal. She would def. be more comfortable if she pees at least once though. Many dogs take some time to get used to going on a lead so her not wanting to go isn;t all that unusual. Just keep taking her out on the lead. Also do this at home to acclimate her to going while on the lead in a place she associates with going already.

Hey Karlin,
I have been walking her...but she has not peed once on lead. I am trying the word command...I did that with my Brit.

She's quite a sensitive little girl, so I think patience is what is required. All she wants to do is lie in your lap, which is where she is at the moment, while I am at work...she sleeps through phone calls, visits from strangers to the office...it's quite amusing.

We took Harvey to the Derbyshire Dales at the weekend and was there all day, he is the same he waits until he gets home,he will only do it in his own garden.

I always take a poop bag with me when we go on walks but i never use it, which i dont mind that actually, i find it easier to clean up at home.

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Back