• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Major scare

judy

Today i lost Zack and Belle, for a brief frightening few minutes. They weren't wearing collars or tags. I was very lucky. I got up this morning as usual, let Belle out of the kitchen, let the dogs out in the backyard, then fed them, made my breakfast, sat down and ate it while the dogs were playing. I was writing an email after i finished my breakfast when i noticed that the dogs seemed too quiet and were not in view, which is unusual. I called them and got up to look for them and they were obviously not here. It's not that big of an area. The door to the backyard was closed because it was kind of cold, and the gate to the upstairs was closed. Then, i looked at my front door and it was ajar.

:yikes

I had no idea why my front door was open in the morning. I had not been out. I had not been out the night before after coming home from work. Zack was here this morning, if the door was open he could've gone out. And when i let Belle out of the kitchen i was in the hall just a few feet from the door, i would've noticed if it was open. It's never open, there's never any reason for it to be open, and the dogs will definitely run out if not watched, so it's like a second sense to always make sure the door's closed.

i put on some garden shoes and ran down the stairs to the outside, which is a parking area. i looked around, calling Zack, i really didn't know how long they had been out there, it could've been up to maybe 5 minutes, plenty long enough to disappear. When i'd turned on the water at the kitchen sink this morning, i found the water was turned off, a very rare occurrance, and when i saw a workman outside, my mind wondered if because of a plumbing emergency, they had opened my door. I couldn't think of any way the door could've gotten open, and the workman that was outside is not one of my favorite people, once he was painting the garage and spattered white paint all over my dark green car, and then had a "so what?" attitude about it. I asked if he had seen the dogs and it's not clear that he understood me, English is not his main language. Then i went and got the car and started driving down the street, hoping to see them but they weren't in sight.

A block and a half away, I saw a large group of people, maybe 20, standing in a circle on the sidewalk, kind of odd at 11 o'clock in the morning, it's a residential street. I asked if they had seen two dogs, and they said yes!! :D They said they had the dogs. The dogs had gone running by, and at first they dogs ran right by them, i could just picture it, like Milo and Otis off to see the world, then they said the dogs ran back to greet them after they had run past. So they grabbed them and put them in this man's truck. :D :D :D

A woman mentioned that they had no tags on them. I said they never go out, they just go in the backyard, but they are microchipped. She then said "Cavalier King Charles?" and i said yes. A couple of people said "Sweet dogs." They were smiling. Someone said "turn your car around and go get them," as the man went walking toward his truck. It felt like Christmas morning. He said they had planned to take the dogs home with them and put signs up in the neighborhood. He said "I'm a dog lover too." I asked if he lived around here and he said no, he said "i'm a real estate agent," and he laughed.

Whew. That sure could've turned out worse.

My theory now of what happened is, the lock on my front door has a problem so that it's hard to turn the knob. I've never had the door not close all the way but that's what i'm guessing happened, because i have no other reasonable theory--maybe when i came home from work last night, when i pulled the door closed it didn't pull all the way to, or it didn't latch, although it appeared to be closed. It was turned to the locked position so i obviously thought i was locking it when i closed it.

I'm guessing that this morning, when Belle and Zack were playing while i was writing, Belle (Zack would never do such a thing icon_whistling) must've jumped up and pushed on the door with her feet, not sure why. She always does that when anyone goes out the door and leaves her behind, you can here her little toenails going "scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch" really fast. The door must've been unlocked all night, fortunately no ax murderers noticed it, and it appeared to be closed, until Belle opened it and Milo and Otis went running off into the World.

I could not live without them at this point. My mom, age 89, suddenly has developed extreme needs, dementia, deep vein thrombosis, falling, head injuries, and in the past two months, i've been doing all kinds of things trying to take care of her and figure out how to take care of her, i don't have any siblings and she doesn't have anyone but me, so i moved her a couple of weeks ago to a board and care facility near my home, she was too far for me to see before. But she got very focused on "why can't i go home," naturally, but to a point where she wouldn't sleep for days at a time and would just walk around and try to get out the doors,

I used up all my paid time, dealing with everything, and i only scratched the surface of all the stuff that should be done, it's like over night i suddenly got a helpless dependent child to be responsible for, and one in increasingly poor health, and one that can't live with me in my home--unless i quit my job and move in to her house--but i'm getting toward retirement age and can't afford to quit my job.

and my job is normally very very demanding, a caseload of kids i'm responsible for, all kinds of decisions and things i'm responsible for that can effect their whole lives, and i'm the only person, in many cases, who can do various things they need, and if i'm not there, then no one does those things for them, the job is normally like that, where we're spread thin. And now, my mom has become a full time thing. I'm feeling very bad about my job and about my mom, like i'm not doing anything well, i'm letting everybody down. and i am. there's no way to do all this stuff.

So. I have been feeling really sucky. But the dogs...the dogs have been my salvation. They make me laugh many times a day, they put things in perspective, they are happy, affectionate, easy going, funny, and it's a small price to pay to care for them, cleaning up poop and stuff, even when occasionally it gets into the house. If i had lost them today, i think i would've had to go right out and get two more. Otherwise, what would i do? not that they're replaceable, i can't imagine the pain if i hadn't found them. but you know what i mean...

Oh my god what a terrible fright for you. Thank goodness those people grabbed them. I bet your heart was going 9 to the dozen. So glad it all ended well.

I am so pleased you found them, i can only imagine how you felt, my heart was pounding when reading what happened.

You yourself are a saint in the true word. How can you possibly let anyone down, it sounds like you do so much for everybody else. what you are going through at the moment with your mother must be the most difficult thing ever, not only trying to care for her but also seeing the mother that looked after you and brought you up , changing so quickly. You have moved her near you so you can see her and, you are there for her whenever you can be, you are an absolute star, we need more people like you in this world. It sounds like you need a big hug, so here are a couple from myself and Harvey :hug: :hug:

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Oh my Judy my heart was in my mouth reading that.
Its weird I went for a snooze earlier (4pm my time ) and had a dream about Harry escaping out of a gate that had been left ajar ? A gate that I don't have ???

I am so glad your little ones are safe and that there were no axe murderers in your area last night. Big cuddles for those two lucky babies tonight no doubt.

another big hug from me and lady :hug: i can't say it better than havey's mum, take care of yourself we are all here for you if you ever need to talk.

OMG Judy, so glad you found them quickly - that must have been over-the-top frightening!

So sorry your life is so stressful right now. I hope you'll take one day each weekend to try to relax and take care of yourself. I hope your mom settles in soon. :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so glad you found them. I can only imagine the awful feeling you had.
Maddy is coming to NH with my husband in late May and I am already worrying because our house set up is quite different and it would be much easier for her to have an opportunity to get out of the door.
Pam

Oh goodness, how long were you shaking for after? :shock: I'm so glad you got them back safely, what a relief. :flwr:

Oh Judy...Thank God you found them. How scared you must have been. I hope things get better for you soon. Hugs coming your way form Lily and me. :hug:

Judy! So scary! So glad it turned out so well. I know you must have felt sick! :hug: :hug: :hug: :flwr:

I'm glad they are home safe and sound. And that there are still good people in the world that do the right thing. Hope things start going better for you real soon. :p

Wow...I am totally impressed by the kindness of the people in your neighborhood. I hope your babies gave them all big doggy kisses for being so helpful and sweet to them!

I'm very glad you got them back so quickly and I hope they never get away from you again. What a scary time!

HUGS!

Judy, your story is something that could happen to any of us, and I'm so relieved for you that yours had a happy ending. Thank goodness these are friendly dogs who want to say hello to people, even if they are running off on some great adventure together! And thank goodness there were some responsible people in the area at the time.

Oh that's so scary!! I'm so glad the 2 little ones were taken care of and all is well again. You have a lot on your plate right now, I can only imagine how much pressure you are under. It is wonderful that the 2 little Cavs can make you happy. They are so good at it. :) :flwr:

Judy--so glad you had a happy ending! I can empathize with regard to your mom and her problems. Same situation with my dad and it's very difficult. We put enormous pressure on ourselves to "save" them and the fact is they are going through an inevitable phase of life that is difficult to watch and it's easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless. Be easy with yourself and just do your best--I think that's all our parents would want and wish of us.

Big hugs to you!!

Back