• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trip to New England-advice

Shelly91180

My husband and I are hoping to take a trip to New England for our 1st anniversay. We will be making it a road trip so we can hopefully see fall foliage etc. Do you think we would be able to bring Finley along or is it best to just leave him behind?

I think if you're going to be staying mostly outdoors you should bring Finley. It should be fun. I'm sure you can find pet-friendly hotels in New England. Congratulations on your 1st anniversary!! :flwr:

But then again, this is your ANNIVERSARY trip --- you should leave your "child" behind so you and your hubby can enjoy the time together and focus on each other. Is there someone who can look after Finley?

First of all, make sure you look at some web sites mid-summer and you'll have the best idea of peak foliage. The fall here is glorious. It is my favorite time of year. Although some years are better than others, it is almost always breath-takingly beautiful. I get so captivated that in the autumn months at peak foliage it's all I can do to keep my car on the road. Each tree is bursting with vivid color, bright yellows and golds, flaming orange and deep rich reds ..... aaaaaah can you tell how much I love it. The reason I say to check websites is depending on the weather is when the foliage is best to be seen. There is a combination of cold crisp nights and warm sunny days that make for the best leaf color. Sometimes we have long late summers and if there are not enough cold nights the leaves change a bit later. Where would you like to go? I live just south of the New Hampshire border. If you go north into the White Mountains of New Hampshire you will find spectacular mountain views as well as all the glory of the fall foliage. But anywhere in New England is lovely. The oak trees in my own front yard are gorgeous when the leaves turn.

Here's one link: http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/fallfoliage/l/blfoliagecentrl.htm

If you google New England Fall Foliage you'll find lots more. Good luck, I do not think you and your husband will be disappointed. New England is so small you can drive to the White Mountains spend the night and the next morning drive to Boston. Maybe see historical Fenway Park, or any other of the cities famed and historical sites. Boston is a great city to walk around in. You can easily trace the steps of Paul Revere, visit his home, the Old North Church ...... the Freedom Trail is marked on the pavement. Or ..... continue with your leaf-peeping and drive down along the Maine or New Hampshire Coast lines. The Atlantic is wild and beautiful this time of year the seafood is excellent. I'm salivating just thinking of sweet scallops and buttery lobster.

I think we are going to try to do the New England coast, and work our way into maine, of course a stop in Boston, and hopefully make it to Exeter, NH (I'm a big John Irving fan and lots of his character go there). We are really excited and really want to bring our "baby". Fin loves leaves!

Oh my gosh, I'm a big John Irving Fan too. You must visit Hampton Beach he mentions it in "A Prayer for Owen Meany". It's right next door to Exeter.

I'm from Maine! Generally foliage happens a bit later here...if you plan on Columbus weekend, then you'll have a good chance at seeing some color. The past few years have been a huge disappointment in the color department though. I think it might be due to climate changes?? Only a guess. Anyway, if you plan to go to Acadia National Park, the town of Bar Harbor has some great shopping that weekend. Big Columbus Weekend sales. (many shops close that weekend) One of my favorite places is Acadia National Park...if you haven't been, check it out on the web.

PM me if you want.

Back