• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

3rd Vaccinations AND NOT a Happy Camper

Kodee

Kodee had her 3rd set of vaccines and did not have any serious reactions but about 2 or 3 hrs later, she was yelping with the slightest rear movement (her shot is always given in her thigh). Just to be safe I called our area 24 hr emergency vet line and they said since she is not feeling ill (loose stools, vomiting, face or injection swelling) she is most likely just feeling the needle jab but to bring her over if any of that happens - thankfully they are only blocks away and open from 8pm to 8am).

My girl is all princess - and can yelp when just taken by surprise and steps on a hard crumb some days! But still, I feel so bad I didnt think to get it in her right leg as she only sleeps on her left - I will have to remember that in 2wks when she gets her rabies (my vet preferred I split them out).

I asked if I could give a baby aspirn but was told no - which I found odd because I know many here do. I will call my own vet in the morning if she is still sore and see if she lets me. How long should I expect her to be sore enough she doesnt want to be picked up etc.. from this?

In other health news she was 10 lbs! She is not a typical rolypoly puppy either but actually just a tad thin. She is now 16 wks but I have been posting all wk she is 14! My my I hadnt realized she was that old already! So question: Do some grow fast and then slow down or does this mean she will be on the larger size? She came from a litter of 6, her mom is average (at the top end) but her dad is a small little ruby fellow as were his parents. Not that it matters, I am just impatient to know!

Debbie, I hate to say this but it sounds like someone is spoiled and knows how to get Mom steppin' and fetchin' for her. :D

After Wallis was spayed you have never seen a more pitiful site. She slinked into her crate and lay ever so gingerly down. She wouldn't even look at us when we would walk by and speak to her. When she wouldn't eat anything I even sat in the floor and fed her out of my hand.

Most Emergency Clinics will not give out medical advice over the phone for fear of repurcussions (which looks like it is spelled wrong but you know what I mean!). You know how some people are just waiting for the slightest reason to bring a lawsuit against anyone they can. "Well, they told me to give her an aspirin and that made her worse." It happens.

My suggestion would be to TRY to ignore her and her pitiful-ness for a bit. Often times if they realize that they aren't going to get the attention that they want they'll forget about it and try something else. (Really, I've seen this happen and not just with Cavs.) And it's a better idea to alternate legs with the vaccines than to give them all in the same area.

Good luck!! :D I'm sure she'll be okay, but will be looking for a post from you tomorrow.

Crittercall said:
Debbie, I hate to say this but it sounds like someone is spoiled and knows how to get Mom steppin' and fetchin' for her. :D ... I even sat in the floor and fed her out of my hand.

Oh please! She gets me to feed her out of my hand while I lay on the floor some days!! As I told my youngest (19) move over a new Princess rules this house baby!! I am damn good at my job raising the best spoiled Princesses in town, ask my girls! :sl*p:

I raised a one and only daughter - talk about spoiled! She wouldn't drive a car until she was 20, and that's because she didn't have to. If I didn't take her where she wanted to go she had a list of people that would.

But that's what kids and dogs are for. And grandchildren. Erin and the girls all got packages today that I sent them. Erin casually mentions it and I'm on line buying it!

Crittercall said:
I raised a one and only daughter - talk about spoiled! She wouldn't drive a car until she was 20, and that's because she didn't have to.
Whoa scary .... your life sounds like mine! I have a 19 yr old that refuses to drive, OR take a bus! Somehow she manages to get me to drive her to COLLEGE instead of making her take a bus, So just 2 nights ago I said ENOUGH, get your license this summer. Um I dont think so she replied... Her sister said tell her she can have my car in one yr then she'll get it... Nope that didnt work either :sl*p: Thank goodness the NEW boyfriend not only drives but has his own car :flwr:

I thought I had mine fixed when she started wanting a tattoo. I wasn't specific enough. I told her that when she could get herself to the tattoo parlor she could get one. She came home that night with a dolphin on her ankle - a friend had taken her!

Sorry Kodee the topic has changed!

NOW about those tattoos.... I got excited when my oldest wanted one! Sorry, I love them as long as they are small and in a spot that can be hidden for work. She drew it herself and I like the fact I can recognize her drawing style when you see it - a dragonfly. BUT I told her if she ever got a belly ring, I'd personally RIP it out :D

Kodee said:
...I asked if I could give a baby aspirn but was told no - which I found odd because I know many here do. I will call my own vet in the morning if she is still sore and see if she lets me. How long should I expect her to be sore enough she doesnt want to be picked up etc.. from this?

when i got zack's last puppy shot, he was fine after, his usual self. But the next day he was different, quiet, didn't want to jump up on the chair with me, although he wanted up, but when i reached down to pick him up, he cried, it hurt, it was the injection site which was the right rear thigh. Loud noises were coming from his abdomin. He seemed depressed. i called the vet office and they said it was normal and that it could last a few days, but the next day he was back to normal again. But a few days later he developed vomiting which happened about every other day for a couple of weeks. He had a relapse of bloody diarrhea after a few days too. The diarrhea and vomiting did not exactly coincide.

judy said:
had a relapse of bloody diarrhea after a few days too. The diarrhea and vomiting did not exactly coincide.
I havent heard of someone having a reaction that far ahead. Kodee definately was quiet after her 2nd set and went off food for quite a few day but was fine other than that.

But this morning she was doing the lounging bed act and then I dropped a pen. Up like a dart straight across the room trying to beat me to it. :roll:

Judy, that almost sounds like she had some kind of "bug" after the vaccine. Has she had to have any vaccinations since then? Just wondering if the reaction was still the same.

And maybe it's just me, but I think they're just the world's biggest Drama Queens - which I think is part of the charm. I could picture Wallis lying on a "fainting couch" with one paw over her eyes as though everything was just too much for her to endure. (Maybe I have an overactive imagination!!)

Regarding size: Laura Lang's rule of thumb, which she stresses is very approximate and has many variables, is that females will be about half their adult weight at around 14 weeks old and males at 16 weeks as they grow a litle more slowly. They do have spurts and lulls in growth as well. If she is 10lbs at 16 weeks then I'd guess she will mature at the top of the breed standard or just over but it is hard to know til you get there. :)

Kodee is spoiled LOL!!

Keep in mind that clinic charges over $200 for an emergency visit!! :yikes :yikes :yikes

:flwr:

Ya think so, Sara? And your aren't, right?

I know about Emergency charges. The one I worked in had a special place just for putting in a charge for putting up with the client. :shock: I forget now what it was called, and the client had to be a real pain but it was on there sometimes!!

Debbie has a Princess. A Princess is born spoiled and her servants are simply aware of that fact from the beginning. Wallis is a Princess. Tibby isn't - poor puppy mill girl.

Zoey was weighed at the Vet's yesterday at 10.5lbs. Shes 16 weeks tommorow. Much like your girl shes on the lean side as well. Her breeder was confident that she would be fast to mature just as her mother did. Her mother was full grown and mature at just over 6 months. Maybe your girl is from faster maturing lines as well? I hope Kodee feels better in the morning!

Well, I don't know....I don't think she is spoiled....dogs don't yelp when they aren't in pain. And I just went thru that with Bentley last week after his vaccinations, he yelped and was shaking after his boosters. My vet told me to give him 80 mg. of aspirin (he weighs 19 lbs.) so I wonder why they told you not to give aspirin? Anyway, I had another puppy that yelped and went thru a bad time after vaccinations, we ended up taking him back to the vet, and the vet even had to take him home with him and keep an eye on him for us. So, I wouldn't treat it lightly. They can also run a fever after vaccinations and get very sore all over.

:oops: This thread went on without me and I missed it! Kodee was fine the next morning and running up and down the street. This time her appetite wasnt affected so I'm guessing it was the worming meds with the second shots that slowed her down and not the actual vaccinations. But she was more sore with the 3rd shots. Hope the rabies in 1 more wk doesnt make her this sore again :(

Thanks for the info on sizes Karlin and Elude. I guess I'm going to have a larger girl perhaps. Well good, cause the rest of the females in this house are short :lol:

And yes Crittercall and Arasara she is top Princess here and loves it that way. Well perhaps not once my oldest comes home this summer from university, it will be the battle of the Princesses! :sl*p: I have already promoted my youngest out of the Princess races - she is now Queen In Waiting. But she doesnt make Queen till I die I told her...

Remali said:
Well, I don't know....I don't think she is spoiled....dogs don't yelp when they aren't in pain. And I just went thru that with Bentley last week after his vaccinations, he yelped and was shaking after his boosters....

When i first got Zack, i got him his last puppy shot and the vet gave the shot in the leg or thigh. I didn't know anythnig about SM at that time, but just common sense made it seem better to have it away from the spine and the head and the vital organs to me. He was sick after the vaccination, with vomiting and listlessness, and the vet gave him a shot of phernergan and pepcid for his vomiting. She gave it right in the neck and Zack started screaming, it just killed me, i was trying to comfort him and very alarmed that it continued on, it wasn't like he quickly got over it, and the vet said to him, "Oh c'mon, stop being so dramatic." I was surprised when she said that. i don't know if she was completely serious or just trying to make herself feel better. One of those things in life i wish i could go back and change, and not allow him to have that shot in his neck. He was given another shot in his neck of the same drugs because he was still vomiting, but i wasn't with him, they took him away from me to do xrays. I guess he screamed that time too. :( It was certainly not melodrama, he is just a little dog and he's happy go lucky and does not cry about things, he shakes it off if he gets hurt, but that shot in the neck hurt him really bad. A very bad memory for me.

Oh Judy that is awful, and if any vet ever said that about my dog after she gave him a shot and my dog screamed out, I would have been tempted to jam that needle in her neck and see how she liked it. Dogs aren't like humans, they simply don't think in terms of being "melodramatic" or being spoiled. They yelp in pain, plain and simple. I sure hope Kodee doesn't have any more troubles and is feeling better.

:flwr:

Back