• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My little slice of heaven - At the request of Kodee

Caraline

Kodee, as requested, here are some pictures of the critters that call my home "home".

Some of these were taken with my old camera, but now that I have my Canon EOS 350D with zoom lens, I promise at the next opportunity I will take some more kangaroo photos for you. They usually come around during dusk & dawn so light isn't so great for photographing them.

Anway... enjoy!

kangaroo02.jpg

kangaroo01.jpg

echidna.jpg

This is an echidna. They are very shy and it is a prviledge to see them, let alone have one living on your land.

lacemonitor.jpg

This Goanna was about 6' long, but they grow bigger.

frillneck.jpg

These little Frill Neck Lizards are the cutest things when they run. They get up on their hind legs, head & front legs in the air, and run like the wind. They are a sight when the puff out their frill neck.

I have uploaded some more pickies for you to look at if you are intersted. I loaded them at

http://users.bigpond.net.au/fiorfein/photography.htm

... and I promise to try to get you some better kangaroo photos.

:D

Caraline, what wonderful, wonderful pictures! It looks like you have your own zoo. I love the kangaroo pictures; I'm sure he is standing in the yard and asking, "Say, can the dogs come out to play??"

:jmp:

And you snuck in some beautiful pictures of the dogs. Great photography!

Wow Caraline you lucky duck! I live in Sydney, the occasional bluey, cockatoo or lorikeet is a treat for me :)

When can I move in? ;) Your home truly is animal heaven! :luv: Fantastic pics! Love the one of Beau and Scarlett sleeping together! Too cute! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing photos!!!! You are so lucky to have so many animals near you...and such beautiful ones too. Thanks for sharing!

WOW, that would be soooooooooo cool to come out to your back garden and see those guys, I wouldn't go to work anymore, I would just sit around waiting to see what came to visit next icon_whistling

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, we do feel very blessed to live where we do. Our only Nemesis is bushfire, which comes through with terrifying ferocity & devastation... but I always say there is a price to pay for wherever you live.

Caraline I'm in awe. I've never seen some of these birds species or the echidna. It looks a bit like our porcupine. You're an amazing photographer. It's like you're living in a wildlife preserve. Do your dogs and the kangaroos ever come face to face?

Joanne M said:
Do your dogs and the kangaroos ever come face to face?

These days they can share the backyard in harmony but that was not always the case. Our Scarlett (aka Ferral Face) would chase anything that moved, so we used to have to call her in if we knew the roos were about. Now that she is older she couldn't be bothered. If the dogs move too near, the roos will pop over the fence & away. My Boxers are now extremely animal friendly. When I throw grated cheese on the ground for the Swamp Hens, they will all stand side by side snaffling up the cheese. The Cavaliers are still learning that the wildlife are is fair game here, but they are learning.

Oh my goodness I just saw this thread tonight! I cant believe someone gets to have kangaroos in their backyard! To me that is like teddy bears living on your property. Mind you, I could live without some of the other creatures - reptiles would freak me a tad out on a daily basis!

Thanks I really enjoyed these - you lucky gal you!

Ooh that brings back memories. Especially the Goanna:eek:

I spent some time there nearly ten years ago at surfers. Our friends had a wild goanna that they used to feed everyday. The next-door neighbour was always moaning that because our friend fed Lenny the lizard (original I know:rolleyes: ) he would not eat the snails in his garden.

Well we went always for a week up to the barrier reef and on the first day back at the house old Lenny comes up close to us, much closer than he had every been to a human and bites my mum on her little toe! Just a small bite to let us know he was there.

Well I nearly fell of the chair from laughing, seems Lenny had missed us so much he hadn’t bother to eat and biting my mums toe was his way of telling us he wanted food NOW.

He was renamed Jaws after that.:lol:

Davy, that reminds me of something we did back when we were not quite as.... er.... aware of what animals need. We had a large blue tongue lizard that owned us & came into the kitchen for a bit of a bludge. One Christmas afternoon we were all sitting on the back step eating this scrumptious Chrissy cake my mother had made, & was soaked in loads of rum & brandy [hic]. The bluey came up bludging & without thinking of the consequences we were rolling up little balls of cake & giving to him to eat. About 15 minutes later he started acting really strange, rolling all around the place & thrashing on his back. Then he just went really still. At first we thought we had murdered him & felt so dreadful. We though he'd choked, but then we realised that he was pi**ed as a newt and just needed to sleep it off. We know better now, what not to feed to the wildlife.
drink_drunk.gif

Back