• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just saw this big news about the tainted pet food ...

lani how are you,anyway even my local vet knew about all this,he assured me its not my brand.thank god.i was worried because alfs has been quiet poorly but that was some gastro virus that seems to be going around down here.the fodd thing is a worry.i seen the affects of what rat poison can do and its not nice.hope all yours ok .jus.

How horrible. Rat poisoning makes an animal hemorrhage. I wonder why that has not been reported as a symptom, only kidney failure. Maybe it was not enough to cause hemoragging??? I don't know what to beleive from these people anymore. The other thing that disturbs me is, if it is rat poison, how come it is not in the dry food, or are we going to be next? This makes me so angry. :bang:

shay

subject change my daughters middle name is SHEA.IRISH,shay your way is the boys way of spelling,but your name is short for something else is it.jus.

Yes....Sharon is my name, but some family use Shay or Shay-Shay as a nickname since I was little. Shay it is my board name. ;)

Edited to add: I like your spelling better!!

Lani that just makes me want to break down in tears. ;(

Faith has eaten at least 3 cans with me and more with Mic :cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing: I have no way of knowing whether the cans she ate had the recalled product or not but fod goodness sakes I am just sick. Thank God she is showing no signs or symptoms but what happens years on down the road? I took a picture of my recalled cans just to be safe but still. My vet said she doesn't think it's necessary to test her if she isn't showing any symptoms of being sick so now it's just a waiting game.

And as far as there being 15 confirmed deaths I think that is a gross misunderestimate. Many people know people who's animals have either become very sick or died from this recall. I heard an estimate of as much as 500 pets were affected or died, and that wouldn't surprise me.

This is so sick and sad. :cry*ing:

You know it's also misleading too. If you get something that says "Made in the USA" then you expect it was made in the USA right? This stuff is illegal in the USA!! How on earth are you supposed to deter from that?? I wonder how much of our "made in the USA" pet food product is imported.

I think the press conference start time has changed. It was just reported on our local news that it is to be held @ 1:00 EST.

That's just horrible :x

It does make think about where you food comes from though--both for animals and humans.

(if you haven't read "Fast Food Nation" you should. It didn't really surprise me but some of these food companies' practices are pretty horrifying.)

arasara said:
Lani that just makes me want to break down in tears. ;(

Faith has eaten at least 3 cans with me and more with Mic :cry*ing: :cry*ing: :cry*ing:
I would think the food Mic gave her was alright as she came to you full of life and you still often talk about her having bountless energy! Your cans you didnt feed her long and being so little then probaby a feeding amt was little. But you covered by insurance wouldnt the test be covered? If so what about testing her anyways to give you peace of mind.

I totally agree about the numbers. The toronto star said 15 cats and ONE dog. I know people here have mentioned knowing of dogs dying - no way it was one dog!

I also have to agree with the poster above about their doubts on the rat poision - you get more than liver damage but will spare the details here. This whole thing is being so underplayed. I also read in Canada alone there is a 60million dollar class action suit in play for Canadian dog owners. It said anyone who feed their pet this food should contact them.

Sending Faith and you :flwr:

Very disappointed at the lack of coverage the news conference received. I heard a spokesman speak for 1 to 2 mins and then the station switched over to another story. I tried channel surfing and could not find the press conference on this story being carried anywhere else.

Kodee,

I think Faith is fine but I am just irked off at the whole thing really. I never was feeding her "only canned" but I was giving her about a tbsp at all three of her meals all day. Mic had started her on Nutro Natural Choice and it seemed like an OK food so I just kept with it. The thing that really gets to me is that she really doesn't need anything to happen to her - especially an internal organ - and most importantly of all when it is still growing!!

I have taken pictures of the cans and also spoke to the vet. She said that if anything was going to happen it should have happened already although I have read different opinions. She also said (this was Wednesday) that she hadn't heard of any canadian dogs being affected.. which also contradicts what you said. As much as i respect my vet she seems to be very reserved. When Kosmo threw up 5 times she told me to wait it out unless he was getting noticeable dehydrated and then she wanted him as well as a stool sample in her office. :huh:

I have been feeding her Merrick's canned for the past 3 weeks or so because although I still had nutro left the merricks just smells so darned good - I can't resist it! :yikes Things happen for a reason they always say!!

I do believe things would be covered under insurance - although I really should check my insurance company's website to see if they have any input on this situation.

I am also worried they are going to switch directions and go over to dry food next :( Thank God we still won't be affected but I do believe that some products of natura pet are from menu foods. Thankfully the Evo is grain free.

It is soo sad.

But about the rat poison - given this is not a rat poison that is allowed in the US, I'm not sure that the symptoms would mimic those of the poisons that we are used to hearing about ...

Kodee said:
I also have to agree with the poster above about their doubts on the rat poision - you get more than liver damage but will spare the details here.

That was me Debbie, and the reason I say that is becasue my Lhasa during one of her terrible bouts of illness, was at the Vets with IV's, when he called me at work and asked me if she could have gotten into rat poison. I was horrified and of course she hadn't, becasue she hadn't been out of the house, and we had no poisons of any kind in the home. Apparently when he got in his office that morning and checked her, she had broken out with pitichia all over her body during the night, which is hemorrhaging under the skin and indicative of rat poisoning. It finally cleared up and she wasn't hemorrhaging, but he never found out what caused the pitichia. He later told me he thought she was a goner we he saw that. It was truly terrifying. That's why I thought there would have been other symptoms such as pitichia if it is rat poison. The whole thing is just very strange and alarming, to say the least.

For all of those concerned:

Faith and I will be visiting a vet tonight at 6:30PM for blood testing. She has had several cans of this stuff since 7 weeks old. Even at 2 tbsp a day when she was 1.8lbs that's a big concentration. The cans at Mic's house and the cans at my place both contain the recall code.

Thinking back when she first came to me - I was VERY concerned as she seemed to drink and pee almost all the time. She still pees about 3-4 times every time we go out. The vet I was going to said "not to worry about it." I will get her checked just in case.

I'll let you all know the results.

Sara - here's hoping that Faith is doing fantastic and you have nothing to worry about! Definitely keep us updated. I'm sure all of us will be thinking of you and Faith tonight. :flwr:

arasara said:
For all of those concerned:

Faith and I will be visiting a vet tonight at 6:30PM for blood testing. She has had several cans of this stuff since 7 weeks old. Even at 2 tbsp a day when she was 1.8lbs that's a big concentration. The cans at Mic's house and the cans at my place both contain the recall code.

Thinking back when she first came to me - I was VERY concerned as she seemed to drink and pee almost all the time. She still pees about 3-4 times every time we go out. The vet I was going to said "not to worry about it." I will get her checked just in case.

I'll let you all know the results.
Glad you found a vet to do it or that your own vet reconsidered. Let us know :xfngr: It's kind of hard to not worry about it when its YOUR pet! I would be like you and NEED to know to remain sane.

I would be doing the same thing Sara. Better safe than sorry. Some members of my family think that I am too overprotective with Lily, but I ask them, "if it was your child, because, she is my child, would you take him/her to the doctor if you were worried"? They just don't get it sometimes. Please let us know what the Vet says.

Sara, I'm so glad you are taking little Faith to the vet. It'll make you feel better just to know what you're up against.

BTW, for you & anyone who is intersted, my sister got this from Iams today in her email:

March 22, 2007

We want to provide an update on the recent recall of "wet" pet foods produced by Menu Foods, Inc.

We are deeply saddened by this situation. We know it has caused a lot of concern and has touched pet lovers throughout North America, including our own employees. We've received a lot of questions, so we want to give you the latest information.

First, we want to assure you that this recall affects only a small portion of our "wet" pet food products manufactured at the Menu Foods plant in Emporia, Kansas. We have a variety of canned wet food products that are currently available on store shelves that are not affected in any way by this recall.

We also want to assure you that our Iams and Eukanuba dry foods are not affected by the recall, and are readily available in stores. These foods are not part of the recall – there are no concerns at all about dry food. P&G manufactures Iams and Eukanuba dry foods at our own plants, not at Menu Foods.

You may wonder why some "wet" food was produced at Menu Foods. In fact, virtually every pet food company commonly uses outside partners for special or small volume items. Nonetheless, the different branded products made by Menu are not "the same". Our Iams and Eukanuba pet foods have unique recipes and important ingredient differences that distinguish them from other pet food brands.

Because of our concern for pets and their well-being, we took immediate action to voluntarily participate in Menu Foods' "wet" food product recall and to work with retailers to get the small portion of our "wet" products affected by the recall off all store shelves in the U.S. and Canada.

Until the root cause of this pet health issue is found, we will not produce any more of these products at the Emporia plant. We'll keep you updated when we have more information.

Pets are an important part of all of our families. P&G Pet Care employees share your concerns and are firmly committed to you and the health of your pet. We are working hard to respond to your questions, and provide the information and help you need.

We value your trust and confidence during this extremely difficult time.

What I found interesting is they explained why they outsource some foods to Menu foods & it's good to know that ALL their foods are not produced there, and I wanted to post it because I thought it might bring some comfort to anyone who has their dogs on dry Iams/Eukaneuba foods (Lucky for example, until a few months ago was on a Eukaneuba prescription diet ...)

Back