• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just saw this big news about the tainted pet food ...

Just came back from the vet... $220 later !! :yikes :yikes :yikes

I will have results as of Monday. This NEW vet was very nice to me and reassured me that I did the right thing.

I paid $50 voluntarily to see if Faith has large platelets and to get her blood counted - hey, if something happens and she needs emergency surgery I want to know her normal levels.

Are Menu foods reimbursing people for this? And if so, how do we go about getting reimbursement?

I'm going to try through my vetinsurance agency to see if they will reimburse me now.

arasara said:
Just came back from the vet... $220 later !! :yikes :yikes :yikes
That much for a blood test! I would have done it too, but sometimes I just have to shake my head at these vet prices for services. Good news you'll have the results Monday!

Sara I cannot imagine how scary this must be for you. I hope that she is fine. Thank you for keeping us informed. We're so attached to Faith.

I have heard nothing about reimbursement for recalled foods. Have you checked the menu foods web site? Or the FDA site? The links are posted further down the board in a thread I began on the Food Recall. How is Faith feeling today? Is she better?

My husband heard on the radio that they released a statement saying there is no reimbursment for vet care. Due to class action suits against them, officially agreeing now to reimburse would affect the trial outcome. That is not to say they wont be coming forward with one during the trials.

Thanks Guys,

Faith is fine..

The vet said that at this time there are no reimbursements from Menu Foods that he knows of but I did hear of people in the states who are able to get that. THe vet also told me that even though Faith seems fine if her food was tainted it means that her kidneys could be functioning just at less than an optimal 100%. He's also lost 2 animals at his practice alone. :( Both cats. :(

He urged me to join in on a Toronto class action lawsuit against menu foods for reimbursement if they refuse. I suspect they will have to do something, right? My vet insurance will cover 90% of the kidney test and the blood collection fee - about $100 of it if I get the vet to sign that she was exhibiting symptoms - which technically she's not really.. but still :?

If I don't get reimbursed my other half will take a flip! :yikes

She was 12.5lbs tonight and she lost a molar on the doctor's finger when he went to check her teeth :oops:

Sara...I am glad you liked the new Vet, and I hope Faith's test comes back normal. I bet some of the pet insurance companies will try to get the money from Menu and the dog food companies as well. I am just afraid that nothing is going to come of this when all is said and done, and these dog food companies will not be held to any stricter standards than they are now. Maybe if enough class actions suits are filed they will, but it takes years. I am in one with Dow Corning for silicone implants (mine was a chin implant for chin augmentation) and it is still not settled and it has been 15 years.

Something to smile about ..Faith lost a molar on the Vet's finger.

I think you should join in on the suit, I do not believe it will take any investment on your part. About 10-15 yrs ago I received money from Sears as part of a class action suit. I think it was in Sears spendable dollars. It was about $80.00. I was a credit-card holder during a time that a class action suit was brought against their credit card practices, or something like that. I can't even remember now, because until I got those spendable dollars in the mail, I wasn't even aware of any pending litigation.

I posted in the petition thread too. So glad that all is well with Faith! You gave us all a scare...can only imagine what you must have been going through! So many of us were and still are drawn to her story...Glad that you can rest easier tonight! :flwr:

Sara, glad you took Faith in to the vet and I am so glad she is doing OK. I would join the lawsuit too if I were you, they really should pay your vet visit.

What a roller coaster ride!! I'm glad that all turned out okay in the end, and I'm glad that you had a platelet count done to see if she does have the large platelets. You're right, that is information that could come in handy down the road. And remember you are not out of line to ask for a hand count on the platelets because of the known problems in Cavaliers.

Since I take coumadin (warfarin - also a rat poison) I'm always so cautions about filling my med keeper with my week's worth of meds. I shudder to think what would happen if one of the girls were to somehow get one of the pills.

I have to watch Wallis now to make sure that she doesn't start turning purple under her skin or bruising. Vets - and human drs - are intimidated when we do happen to know something like pitichia and what it is. I got a really bad bruise on my arm while we were in SLC and should have probably been taken off the coumadin, but thought it was too late by the time I got home. I think I can still see some purple under the skin, but it may be my imagination. I'm fighting with my pcp over my coumadin dosage right now anyway.

Anyway, Sara, I'm glad that things are looking good. I know about the cost of blood work and testing on our critters - you wouldn't believe what we've spent since January.

Take care and give her a hug for me!

Oh sara....I know how scared you must be, but you really did the right thing by bringing her in. Having a definitive answer is the best feeling in the world (I wish I had one with Zoey). My thoughts are with you and sweet Faith, Reimbursment may not come soon, but your statistic could help many others with your numbers being added to the suit. Good Luck sweetie!! :flwr:

Back