Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flea Control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flea Control

Have you guys heard of brands like "Bio-Spot" and "Sentry Pro"? I'm only familiar with Frontline and K9 Advantix as far as the flea control products...

Dog.com had this comparison chart on their website and it seems that these two brands above offer more features... Just wondering if anyone has experience using these products...

http://www.dog.com/flea.asp?Category=Flea%20%26%20Tick
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I buy all flea and heartworm control products straight from the vet. I would worry too much otherwise.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flea Control

Quote Originally Posted by Ginger's Mom
    Have you guys heard of brands like "Bio-Spot" and "Sentry Pro"? I'm only familiar with Frontline and K9 Advantix as far as the flea control products...

Dog.com had this comparison chart on their website and it seems that these two brands above offer more features... Just wondering if anyone has experience using these products...

http://www.dog.com/flea.asp?Category=Flea%20%26%20Tick
    PLEASE research before using any toxin on a pet.
    for example http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospotletters.html

My daughter works as a vet tech and has seen horrible reactions to some products.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flea Control

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven
    PLEASE research before using any toxin on a pet.
    for example http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospotletters.html

My daughter works as a vet tech and has seen horrible reactions to some products.
    Wow...that is horrifying... Thanks for sharing this info with me.. Ginger has used K9 Advantix so far and has no problem. It is the one the vet recommended, so we'll just keep on using that.

Thanks!!
    VERONICA
    Mom to our precious little girl "Gingerbread" born on 8/13/2006
    If there are no Cavaliers in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Post Thanks / Like

I would never put a flea or tick product on my dogs or cats that didn't come directly from my vet. I've heard horror stories of people who purchased products from PetsMart or WalMart or other discount places that sold off brand flea and tick products. Some become very ill and one died.

Frontline and Advantage are rather expensive, especially if you have two, three, four or more pets, but worth it in the long run. Plus they work fabulously. Does anyone remember what it was llike before these products came onto the market. Fleas....UGH!!!
    Sharon, proud Mom of Scout (tri) and Breeze (Newfie)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scouty girl
    I would never put a flea or tick product on my dogs or cats that didn't come directly from my vet. I've heard horror stories of people who purchased products from PetsMart or WalMart or other discount places that sold off brand flea and tick products. Some become very ill and one died.

Frontline and Advantage are rather expensive, especially if you have two, three, four or more pets, but worth it in the long run. Plus they work fabulously. Does anyone remember what it was llike before these products came onto the market. Fleas....UGH!!!

For those with multiple dogs*****
    With Frontline that is a liquid applied between the shoulder blades-- you might ask the vet to help you buy the larger size- and have him show you how to disperseit with a tuberculin syringe. Some vets try to work with people that have multiple dogs. Or there is the frontline spray.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been having so many issues with Frontline. My vet agrees that it seems to be losing its "oomph" because he is constantly having clients complain about its ineffectiveness. Purhaps the Florida fleas are growing immune...

I have been using Advantage and that has been working really well. It doesn't protect against ticks, but I have never seen one on ANY of my dogs (all my life) so I am not too concerned.

Because Advantage comes off after a bath, I use a pill called Capstar, which kills every flea on their body within 4 hours and last for 24 hours. I give them this when I bathe them and let the oils reaccumulate on their body before I put on the Advantage. It works really well and only costs $3 a pill from my vet.
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

There are many horror stories associated with using "off brand" flea products. Hartz has been around so long and it is one of the worst offenders.

We have been using Frontline spray and have used it every two weeks instead of monthly as the product says to do. The vet said to go with the every other week. I think that the Flea is the state animal for Florida and we have many of them. The weather doesn't get cold enough here to kill them all out in the winter time, so I've seen some that must be grandfathers.

We did have a tick problem last summer, and the groomer found one tick on Sasha a few weeks ago. So we will continue with the Frontline. And Wallis is being treated now for a disease that is caused by ticks.

Monica - I'll see if Bub still has the website at his office. He bought Capstar online much cheaper than that. We bought the size that Wallis gets one pill and the other two girls half one between them. That stuff really works!
    Critter -
    RIP Wallis, John Robert, Tibby & Pip
    Mom to JoJo, Roxie & Linguini (Cavaliers)
    and my birds Moji (Senegal) and Walter (Blue Front Amazon)

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great Donna!!! Thanks!!
    I love my Wesley, Cody, Zoey & Stewie

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if it is different in the uk but I always got my frontline from the vet and it was very expensive. Last year government changes enabled other sources to sell some vet only prescription items. I am now able to buy all frontline direct on line and this is approx half the price of the vets. As yet the worming tablets I get from the vet are not available. As I have two dogs I save loads by buying on line and it is delivered within 2 days.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx