• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea Control

Sorry, but I forgot to mention, when I first moved to my present home, I had two cats and one dog. I was sitting in my chair watching tv and noticed a flea jumping on me. This was about 10 years ago. I called my vet and purchased Advantage. I brought it home and put it on everyone around 2pm. By 7pm I actually saw dead fleas on the bathroom floor. I couldn't undstand what those black dots were on the floor (maybe about 10) I felt really bad, but on the other hand I couldn't believe it worked so quickly!!!

Lindsey - What is it about Revolution that makes your professor feel it is ineffective? I've not had any flea problems with it - is it ineffective against other parasites?

George19 said:
Just worth a mention, I spent an hour with my vet yesterday discussing what to wormers to use given the liklehood of lungworm in my garden, he mentioned that the use of Milbemax and Frontline together is lethal so take care when buying things like frontline online where there isn't the warnings you might get from the experience of a vet :flwr:

Really, thats quite concerning. My vets either give me Milbemax or whats the other one - yes drontal. I also buy fronline for them - although last year we had to have stronghold as the frontline was useless in getting rid of Merlins visitors :yikes

I too am wondering about the Revolution. My vet put it on one of my cats last week because he was feeling down. He said if it was worms, it would get rid of them as well as fleas and such. It isn't much more $$ than Frontline and I had thought of switching all my animals to it. Especially since I use Heartgard and could eliminate that for Lily if I used Revolution. Has anyone used it in place of Heartgard?

Nicole - yes, you can discontinue using heartguard if you use Revolution. Revolution contains a heartworm preventative as well. Our vet in Texas recommended Revolution for my cats and Bella. Our vet in Illinois has no problems with Revolution, but does not sell it. He prescribes Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks. He explained the difference in Revolution vs some of the other common flea/tick medications to me recently.
Evidently Revolution sterilizes fleas so that your home and dog do not become infested. It doesn't really "repel" fleas or keep a flea from biting, which is what the others do. I think I am going to continue using Revolution on my indoor cats in case fleas happen to get in with the dogs, but I'm going to start using Frontline on the dogs.

I did not realize it only steralized. I would prefer repelling them! I have cats that go into the back yard and back in. They don't roam. I use Frontline on all the animals and am happy with it. I think I will stick to it and Heartgard. Thanks for the tidbit!

we have used stronghold on shy(cat) for oooh her whole life she is now 6 and no fleaas (touch wood!!! dont jinx myself!!) it also has an extra wormer in it so when we do give a worming tablet we were always advised not to give them at the same time. jadan is on the same. when they went for their yearly booster the vet ran a comb through both and was supprised to find......... nothing!!!

Back