• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Flea Control

Ginger's Mom

Have you guys heard of brands like "Bio-Spot" and "Sentry Pro"? I'm only familiar with Frontline and K9 Advantix as far as the flea control products...

Dog.com had this comparison chart on their website and it seems that these two brands above offer more features... Just wondering if anyone has experience using these products...

http://www.dog.com/flea.asp?Category=Flea & Tick

I buy all flea and heartworm control products straight from the vet. I would worry too much otherwise.

Ginger's Mom said:
Have you guys heard of brands like "Bio-Spot" and "Sentry Pro"? I'm only familiar with Frontline and K9 Advantix as far as the flea control products...

Dog.com had this comparison chart on their website and it seems that these two brands above offer more features... Just wondering if anyone has experience using these products...

http://www.dog.com/flea.asp?Category=Flea & Tick

PLEASE research before using any toxin on a pet.
for example http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/biospotletters.html

My daughter works as a vet tech and has seen horrible reactions to some products.

I would never put a flea or tick product on my dogs or cats that didn't come directly from my vet. I've heard horror stories of people who purchased products from PetsMart or WalMart or other discount places that sold off brand flea and tick products. Some become very ill and one died. :yikes

Frontline and Advantage are rather expensive, especially if you have two, three, four or more pets, but worth it in the long run. Plus they work fabulously. Does anyone remember what it was llike before these products came onto the market. Fleas....UGH!!!

Scouty girl said:
I would never put a flea or tick product on my dogs or cats that didn't come directly from my vet. I've heard horror stories of people who purchased products from PetsMart or WalMart or other discount places that sold off brand flea and tick products. Some become very ill and one died. :yikes

Frontline and Advantage are rather expensive, especially if you have two, three, four or more pets, but worth it in the long run. Plus they work fabulously. Does anyone remember what it was llike before these products came onto the market. Fleas....UGH!!!

For those with multiple dogs*****
With Frontline that is a liquid applied between the shoulder blades-- you might ask the vet to help you buy the larger size- and have him show you how to disperseit with a tuberculin syringe. Some vets try to work with people that have multiple dogs. Or there is the frontline spray.

I have been having so many issues with Frontline. My vet agrees that it seems to be losing its "oomph" because he is constantly having clients complain about its ineffectiveness. Purhaps the Florida fleas are growing immune...

I have been using Advantage and that has been working really well. It doesn't protect against ticks, but I have never seen one on ANY of my dogs (all my life) so I am not too concerned.

Because Advantage comes off after a bath, I use a pill called Capstar, which kills every flea on their body within 4 hours and last for 24 hours. I give them this when I bathe them and let the oils reaccumulate on their body before I put on the Advantage. It works really well and only costs $3 a pill from my vet. ;)

There are many horror stories associated with using "off brand" flea products. Hartz has been around so long and it is one of the worst offenders.

We have been using Frontline spray and have used it every two weeks instead of monthly as the product says to do. The vet said to go with the every other week. I think that the Flea is the state animal for Florida and we have many of them. The weather doesn't get cold enough here to kill them all out in the winter time, so I've seen some that must be grandfathers.

We did have a tick problem last summer, and the groomer found one tick on Sasha a few weeks ago. So we will continue with the Frontline. And Wallis is being treated now for a disease that is caused by ticks.

Monica - I'll see if Bub still has the website at his office. He bought Capstar online much cheaper than that. We bought the size that Wallis gets one pill and the other two girls half one between them. That stuff really works!

I dont know if it is different in the uk but I always got my frontline from the vet and it was very expensive. Last year government changes enabled other sources to sell some vet only prescription items. I am now able to buy all frontline direct on line and this is approx half the price of the vets. As yet the worming tablets I get from the vet are not available. As I have two dogs I save loads by buying on line and it is delivered within 2 days.

moniechris said:
I have been having so many issues with Frontline. My vet agrees that it seems to be losing its "oomph" because he is constantly having clients complain about its ineffectiveness. Purhaps the Florida fleas are growing immune...

I have been using Advantage and that has been working really well. It doesn't protect against ticks, but I have never seen one on ANY of my dogs (all my life) so I am not too concerned.

Because Advantage comes off after a bath, I use a pill called Capstar, which kills every flea on their body within 4 hours and last for 24 hours. I give them this when I bathe them and let the oils reaccumulate on their body before I put on the Advantage. It works really well and only costs $3 a pill from my vet. ;)

Our dogs take Sentinel heart/flea monthly. Vet gave us Capstar when we mentioned we still had quite active fleas. No help for us...

We use Interceptor from the vet. It is a chewable tablet and my girls think it is a treat. THey even do tricks to get it every month!

Can you get Stronghold over in the US? I have found this to be far more effective than Frontline lately.

I don't like using chemicals on my boys but it's either that or them being attacked by ticks :?

I would never use Advantix on any animal again after a locum Vet used it on my cats (both now at the Bridge) when they were 6mth old kittens. They ended up on IV drips at the Vets surgery & we almost lost them both :(

Jean: How frequently do you bathe your babies? My vet told me that whenever you bathe them, the frontline becomes unaffective for the next 24 hours because the oils that contain the medication are washed away. The oils return (because the frontline stays deeper within the skin) the next day, but during that time they are left open to flea bites (which is a major bummer if they have allergies like my Wesley).

Whenever I bathe them is when I give the capstar, then the next day they should be fine. It is a constant struggle here to get the fleas under control.

Also, I don't know how much your cavies weigh, but if they are in the 20lb range, it may be better to go up to the next dose (for both the Frontline and the Capstar). That has really helped as well ;) Good Luck!! I know this stinks!!

WoodHaven said:
With Frontline that is a liquid applied between the shoulder blades-- you might ask the vet to help you buy the larger size- and have him show you how to disperseit with a tuberculin syringe. Some vets try to work with people that have multiple dogs.

The breeder of Sonny & Beau got me onto this idea and it is so very much cheaper.

I buy the giant breed Frontline. I draw up the correct amount using a needle & syringe (a diabetes needles & syring is perfect). I then pull off the needle & cap it for next time, then apply to the shoulder using the syringe. I get 6 doses out of one large pipette and that makes it about 1/4 of the cost of buying the correct sized pipettes.

You can still do this even if you only have 1 dog. Just place some sticky tape over the puncture hole in the pippette. Position the pippette in the fridge oriented so the contents can't ooze out of the hole and next time you need to draw some up, just go through the same needle hole.

Flea treatment

I treat six dogs, my three, my mother's one, my son's two, and to make sure all are treated I buy the heart and flea treatments. With this many dogs I must be thrifty so I buy the large size of Frontline plus and divide the dose up per dog. I also get a prescription for heartgard and buy it from Fosters and Smith. I think I figured the cost for both heart and fleas treatment a month and it is about three dollars per dog a month. I used to use the Frontline spray instead of the kind that goes on the back of the neck and it works great and if you purchase it on line it is about 21.00 and it goes a long way(some people find it a little messy if the dogs hair is real thick and long. It is fine for my cavalier but messy with my full coated shih tzus. I have found many items that can be purchased at the vet are almost half the cost on line but I am very careful where I order. If I were wealthy and could start all over again with my education, I would become a vet and focus on helping the eldery care for their animals. I sit in the vet"s office and watch these eldery people come in and try to pay for their vet bills knowing they may be sacrificing their medical needs to pay for their animals. It breaks my heart, so I try to find ways to save and past it on to others.

Does anyone use Revolution? That's what my vet recommended to us - it contains heartworm, flea, tick, and worm preventatives all in one.

Just worth a mention, I spent an hour with my vet yesterday discussing what to wormers to use given the liklehood of lungworm in my garden, he mentioned that the use of Milbemax and Frontline together is lethal so take care when buying things like frontline online where there isn't the warnings you might get from the experience of a vet :flwr:

IsabellaBugatti said:
Does anyone use Revolution? That's what my vet recommended to us - it contains heartworm, flea, tick, and worm preventatives all in one.

I'm majoring in Animal Science in college and am taking a parasitology class. My professor (who is very well known in the parasitology field) said that Revolution was about as useful as "mammary glands on a bull".

I also have the newest "Pfizer Atlas of Veterinary Clinical Parasitology" book from Pfizer Animal Health, so if anyone has any questions, I might be able to help! It contains info on both internal and external parasites!

Maxxs Mummy,

My vet won't even offer Advantix. One dog uses Advantage. I really like that. It's not supposed to work on ticks, but she never has them on her, and we do have them in our area during the warmer weather. Scout used Frontline, that seems ok.

Back