• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

off leash dogs attacked today

Thanks everyone for your advice and caring words.

We're taking Chocolate to the vet as soon as we can get an appointment. I'm thinking her Puppia harness must have protected her neck, but you can never be too careful. Plus I will see to it that this guy pays for the vet bill, since he didn't get fined.

The canine officer is going to bring his dog to walk around our neighborhood on several random occasions to help insure that these dogs are not running loose. We have our report number, so they are starting a paper trail on these two dog owners - if we have to call them again they will link any future reports to this one.

The police told us they checked the biting dog's vet records and rabies tags to make sure all vaccinations were current. They told us the biting labrador's owner said his dog is that way towards other dogs because he was bitten by a dog when he was a puppy. Go figure that one out - he knows his dog has a problem, yet does not confine him. :sl*p: Colin and our dogs were across the street and 70 yards away from this dog's house when attacked.

One of those labs bothered my next door neighbor in the past when he was walking his australian shepherd - I learned this least night when I was explaining why we had 3 police cars at our house earlier.

I'm going to walk around the neighborhood every day [without my dogs for their safety] to make sure these two dog owners understand they don't own that section of our street. I'll have a walking stick, a spray bottle of lemon juice and some choice words if the dogs are loose again.

I'm so sorry that this happened! I can't imagine that anyone would not own a leash :shock:

Definately get to the vets as soon as you can. I don't know about dogs but with cats, a bite wound almost always get infected. I would also promptly delivery any vet bills to the owner of the dog who attacked yours.

Poor Chocolate :? I'm glad you called the police. Hopefully that will make them see they can't just let the dog run around without a lead. I'm shocked too they didn't even own one, crazy. Let us know how Chocolate is after the vet visit. :hug:

Oh Cathy, that is awful! I am so glad that Chocolate is OK and didn't get hurt worse. How frightening. I cannot get over how many people let these large aggressive dogs run loose, I came across a loose pitbull/pitbull-cross in my backyard a couple of nights ago and I called the police.

I'm sorry to hear this Cathy, I'm glad Chocolate seems ok and I hope the vet's visit goes ok :flwr:

oh cathy that must have been so frightening for all of you. i know how scary and infuriating it is to have your dog attacked and i'm happy to hear that the police took it seriously.

hugs to you and chocolate and i hope everything turns out ok!

k

Poor little Chocolate. :flwr: I hope all is okay at the vet visit. And I hope that there is no permanent fear that this has given her.
You SO did the right thing by calling the police. It's infuriating that some dog owners are so irresponsible and uncaring!! :swear: How could you let your dog(s) run loose at all, especially if they don't do well with other dogs? And you were doing the right thing and your poor baby got attacked. It's horrible. I hope those dog owners get some serious actions taken against them, this kind of thing has to stop.

I'm so glad Chocolate is ok and good for you for calling the police. So many dog owners are too nice to do that after an attack. And don't get me started on these invisible fences....

I sure hope that Chocolate is doing OK and that the negligent owner at least pays the vet bill. I commend you for getting the police involved. That dog is a loaded weapon and it is only a matter of time until something else happens. I am surprised that he was not summoned to court and made to pay a hefty fine. Sure hope that your neighborhood becomes safe.

Cathy,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope Chocolate is feeling a bit better today after her ordeal. I agree with everyone else on this topic, I think you did exactly the right thing reporting that to the police.

My thoughts are with you and yours just now. Hope all works out well.

This is terrible I hope chocolate is doing ok, I would take him to the vet and send the vet bill to the neighbors house. :x
judy

Oh Cathy I'm so sorry, what a dreadful shock for you all

Sending postive thoughts and lots of love - please give Chocolate a gentle cuddle from us

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I'm so glad you were brave enough to get the police involved - hopefully these people will realise it's not good enough just to make excuses :x

For those in the UK - not sure if you can get this in the US - I used to carry a Pet Corrector spray when I was out with my dogs locally - it emits an inert gas (like fresh air) which mimics the hiss sound made by Snakes, insects and birds such as geese.

It really does work - a local working Collie had previously attacked and pinned Rupert to the ground {that was the start of his frequent focal seizures :( :( }. I wouldn't go past the houst for over a year, but when I did start going past again, I carried the pet corrector. Sure enough, one day the dog was loose again and came towards us - I used this and she backed off. She came towards us again and I used it again, and this time she went off and we had no further problems.

I wouldn't use it how they suggest for training my own dog to stop jumping up - I think that is excessive - but it is useful for protecting yourself and your dogs.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pet-corrector.php

Cathy,

I'm so sorry, I'm sure that was very freightening for Colin and both dogs. Please keep us posted on Chocolate's vet visit. :flwr:

This past summer, when Scout was only six months old, I was walking both her and my Newf. The neighbor about six houses down has a not so very nice black lab. He busted through the front door of their house and came charging out in a very threatening way. I didn't know what to do. Everything happend so fast that I didn't have time to pick Scout up. Luckily Breeze is a very calm dog and did not take an offensive stand. She stood her ground but did not go towards the dog, or act aggresive or threatening. At least I didn't see it. If course she is more than twice his size.

The owner was hot on the dogs trail and was very apologetic. He did come towards Scout and I told her if he touches her I will kick him and I don't care where. Well thank goodness it all turned out for the best. I credit Breeze with staying so calm and she did position her body between me and the aggresive dog. Of course Scout was clueless...LOL

Wow, as everyone else has said -- I hate to hear about your experience, Cathy! It just makes me so mad. I could reiterate what everyone else has said about the owner of that lab, but I won't except to say that he should not be allowed to own dogs due to a lack of intelligence!

Karlin -- that was interesting what you posted about the lab temperament. I know they are famous for being sweet and non-aggressive, but as you said, I just don't believe that is a good assumption to make anymore. And the stakes are very high for large dogs. One tiny event that happens to set them off could lead to permanent scarring or death for another dog, or heaven forbid, a child! A Yorkie or toy poodle, or even a Cavalier that bites someone is a problem, too of course, but if you have an unpredictable 80 pound dog, that is a tragedy waiting to happen. Which is one of the reasons I like small dogs waaayyy better than big ones. My husband and I have had this conversation/debate too many times to count because he has always liked big dogs.

The loudest and meanest dog in my obedience class right now is a yellow lab. He is constantly lunging at the other dogs as if he'd like to tear them apart. My husband has always loved labs and goes on and on about their sweet nature, but as you said, I just don't believe that's as true anymore. I know there are Labs out there who are sweet as can be, but I've seen enough of the other kind to trust that most Labs are sweet.

That's interesting about how the Labs are becoming more aggressive....in fact, around here, Labs are so hyper and goofy that I hate to say it, but I can't stand being around them any more. Around here a lot of uninformed rednecks just breed them carelessly (lots of hunters in my area). A friend of mine who loves Labs, noticed that bad trend around our area, and when she bought her Lab she ended up getting a puppy from the other side of the United States and one with British bloodlines. Sad how people can ruin a lovely breed thru stupidity.

That's a good point everyone is making about labs - some of the sweetest, kindest, gentlest dogs I have ever know are labradors, nothing like the two near us!

Our veterinarians are so busy (presumably due to illnesses from the recalled pet food) that they are only seeing emergency cases right now. They have been treating animals who ate the food, and a photo of their building was on the national tv news one day last week. I feel so bad for all the people with sick cats and dogs. There was one area couple who had 5 sick cats, and people actually donated to help cover their vet bills.
We already had a vet appointment scheduled for Wednesday evening this week for heartworm blood tests and anal gland checks, so we will to wait until Wed. for Chocolate to be seen.

Cathy,
I'm so sorry this happened, it is the most frightening experience to go through. I went through it with Sofee in December with my sister's dog. Sofee had two puncture wounds on her nose and throat and a few baby teeth were knocked out (lots of blood). This was a 12 year old Springer Spaniel who attacked her.
I now carry a stick when I walk Sofee and if I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable, I scoop her up in my arms. Even last weekend, we were exiting my mother-in-laws house and she was charged right on the front porch by a large German Sherpard from the neighboring house. Luckily, my brother in law was able to kick it away - so sad we have to resort to physical abuse to keep our dogs safe.
I hope all went well on your Wednesday visit. Your cav's are so beautiful and I know are they are center of your lives! We are truly grateful for every minute with Sofee Marie! :l*v:

I'm so sorry this happened, and so glad you called the police. I hate stupid pet owners, it makes me so angry!!

Let us know how Chocolate does at the vet on Monday. Poor girl, I hope this doesn't scare her away from other dogs from now on.

:( :shock: :( Oh im soo sorry to hear about poor Chocolate!!!! I hope everything goes well with the vet check!!! Shocking that the owner didnt have a leash!!!! What is with some people?

hugz to Chocolate :hug: Hope everything turns out alright

Even though i have read the above posts i am still totally shocked that it was Labradors that bit poor Chocolate!!!! i have never once encountered an agressive Labrador!! That post Karlin made about them was very interesting..new information 2 me :flwr:

{{{{{{{{Cathy}}}}}}}} I have only just seen this thread. I am so sorry that this has happened to Chocolate. I hope she's OK and not too traumatised by the attack.

Maxx was attacked in the local park by an off lead dog when he was a puppy and he was too scared to get out of the car and walk there again.

Please let us know how she gets on at the Vets. I really hope there is no infection or injury. Give her a :hug: from us xxxxx :flwr:

Back