• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need advice on administering Meds

Karlin said:
Though there is a technique to hold them and push down on the shoulders, pop open their mouth like a hatch, push the pill to the back of the throat, then gently hold their mouth shut til they lick their nose...quote]

I know that this also works for dogs...some dogs at our boarding kennel absolutely refused to take pills....you do this same technique, hold their mouth closed, and BLOW on their nose! It works about 99% of the time.

The giving a piece of the treat before you actually give the pill sounds like a good idea too!

Competition works too, oddly. Holly used to be a nightmare with any pills, and she treated even conditioning tablets like Vetzyme with great suspicion.

Cue Amber. If it can be eaten, Amber thinks it's a treat. Giving her tablets of any kind is not a problem- she crunches them up double quick. So I give Amber the tabs first and praise her. Amber's happy, because she thinks she's gotten a treat (why I can't imagine- it's just the plain tablet!) so Holly decides she wants whatever Amber's got....

Voila. No more wrapping tabs in luncheon meat, which was what I had to do before. Holly adores luncheon meat. :lol:

My Sasha has to take a number of meds daily. I always use a pill crusher (bought at the Dollar Store for a $1!!). I put them in her meal along with her usual kibble, pumpkin, yogurt.

her liquid antibiotic she loves to take - i think it tastes like bananas.

Sheri

sramirez said:
My Sasha has to take a number of meds daily. I always use a pill crusher (bought at the Dollar Store for a $1!!). I put them in her meal along with her usual kibble, pumpkin, yogurt.

Check with your vet first to see if the pills you are giving can be crushed. Remember just like human pills, some animal pills are not effective if crushed!

Thankfully, I've never had to give Scout a pill, but Breeze I have. I either wrap it in a piece of American Cheese, I say do you want cheese, and she gets excited. I quick give her a piece of plain chesse followed very quickly with the cheese with the pill and then just as quickly give her the the piece of plain cheese. No time to think about a pill or anything else hidden in it. Also I do give her a tablespoon of canned food a day. I can hide anything in a little wad of canned food and she will gulp it down.

As far as liquids, I do have to occasionally give my cat liquid medicine. The vet gave me a plastic syrine (without the needle of course) showed me how much to give and how to give it. I fill the syringe up , open his mouth and squirt. It happens so quickly he barley has time to protest.

indy eats far to heartily to notice pills in his food, but before i realised that we tried the sausage/hotdog method and it was great.

as for liquids, he eventually decided that he liked metacalm, but before that i would spread it on a piece of bread, roll it up, and he'd eat it.

good luck! poor little molly---will she be on multiple pills forever or is it just during her recovery?

k

Have you tried canned cat food? Most dogs love it......

I've poked many a pill down many a dog or cats throat, making sure to get it behind the tongue. And I'm with Lindsay. Blow in their face. They will swallow then lick their nose!

:thnx: Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!!!!
I have found that the american cheese is working well for all of the pills.
The liquid is another story, but if I follow it up with something really yummy and it seems to be getting better. All of the medication with the exception of the gabapentin will hopefully be short term while she is recovering.

The hospital got her addicted to Hills Science Diet AD canned food which makes her breath smell like butt :yuk: , so I am looking forward to getting her back on her regular food as soon as she is feeling better.

GAG - Bev. you compliment that food when you compare it to "butt"! Isn't that the nastiest stuff ever? It would be great to give pills in if you could get it to hold its shape!

When will she be changing over to a regular diet? Soon I hope - for your sake.

I've never had problems with the liquids. Maybe she's just tired of being fooled with and having to have meds.

Hope things get easier for you soon.

Back