• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Would you?

I agree about not allowing friends & family mind the dogs, unless they are very experienced dog people. Those who do not have dogs themselves are totally clueless about how easy it is for a dog to escape out of a door left ajar, an unscreened window left open or just dash out as they are walking through the door themselves.

Even people with their own dogs can under estimate the Houdini efforts of a dog that they are minding. Their own dog may never dream of jumping over or digging under a fence, but the visiting dog might have other ideas.

I'd go with the kennel.

It is our belief that our kennel is much better then home boarding or having a friend babysit the dogs.
While our Aussie would have no problem being home alone for a week or 2 and having someone come to feed and pet her, she actually enjoys the extra peace and quiet when she gets to be alone, no kids or younger dogs to bother her ;)
My Cav's though I can not trust at all. Even a short 20 minute trip to the store will cause every piece of paper in the vicinity to be chewed up by my boy. They typically go everywhere with me so when they have to stay home they do not appreciate it and view it as punishment. So they do require kenneling here at home.
When we go out of town they, all 3 dogs, go to our vet who also has a doggy hotel. They do great here, the board together and play together. They are all bathed and trimmed and my aussie is clipped as needed. They come home and are very happy.
There is no need to worry about my cavs chewing something up at a friends, having a friend babysit at home and them forgetting to kennel or leaving them in the kennel too long during the day. I don't have to worry about someone escaping and looing for me which has happened in the past when they have been left with my husband.
For us it is just much safer.

I would not give up on the pup just because of your trip and I would also not reschedule your trip because of the pup. I would try to delay getting the pup until after you return but if that is not possible I would get the pup as early as possible and let it become attached to your other pup so it feels a kinship while they are together at the kennel.

If the pup is with Harry, they'll be fine in a boarding kennel.

We've left Charley at our vets' boarding facility and he was spoiled rotten...just what I wanted for him! :)

Thanks guys,

you've really put my mind at ease, and as Harry is 2 next month i feel he's a good age to add another and have finally found the pup for us *fingers crossed*
He's a RUBY, was born yesterday morning and we *think* we are going to name him Morgan, will post pics when i get some

Karlin- please remove this if it's illegal, but I was wondering if we could have a list somewhere of kennels etc that people here have used and would recommend- in all countries, not just here. If visibility is an issue, perhaps such a thread could be password protected/member only access?

I know I have to go to Europe for a big conference in August for a week, and I think I'd relax better if the dogs were together in a safe kennels. I have left them with family, friends and breeders- but don't want to do the latter, and the former isn't always practical. It'd be good to know what kennels/boarding people would recommend.

Harry's mom,

I would leave Lia in a boarding kennel too. I left her with a friend two days and then I felt so guilty for the friend, because even if you have a dog, a puppy is more much work that an adult dog.

I guess that you know the kennel and you like the way they take care of your furbaby!! Go ahead!

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

P.S.: I don't know how is Harry, but Lia loves to be with other dogs. When I go to see a friend who has a cavalier, she starts whining the moment we cross the door for leaving!

I offer a service to people i know and as a breeder to people I sell puppies to.This works out really well as it is a comfort to the owners to know that their dog is going back to where it was born and loved for the first couple of months of its life.I dont have the dogs sleep inside my house at night as it caused problems with my own 2 who stay inside.I have a purpose built kennel with heating for night time and outdoor kennels for during the day,I also have a big garden where they can run around at least 3 times durning the day depending on the weather and they also come into the house durning the day for a bit of one to one attention and a bit of a sniff around! very important!!The owners love to see them mixing with other dogs and my kids aswell,who love to see the babies coming back time after time,one of my clients even books her holidays around mine.I think if you choose to board your pup or dog in kennels you really need to do a lot of research on individual kennels.

Heather go on holiday and have a wonderful time. It sounds to me like you are familiar with the kennel and have faith in them. Harry will be with the new puppy too.

Back