• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Has Anbody Tried Timberwolf Organics Food

Linda

I just purchased a 4 lb bag of Timberwolf Organics Wild & Natural Dry Dog Food today, I also brought home a sample bag and opened it and let the boys try it.. They devoured it, it is grain free I am hoping that they will continue to eat it as I have been looking to switch them from EVO for a while and then put them back on EVO in another 4 months or so.

Okay not to jinx myself but they love it, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. :xfngr: :xfngr: I don't plan on switching them over yet as I have half a bag of EVO left but will start introducing it slowly. :w**h**:

Oh I am so excited, finally finally I found another grain free kibble they love. I feel like I won the lottery the fellow in the store said it is a amazing kibble. :D :D :D

Here is the link

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.632216/it.A/id.98/.f

I was just curious to know if anybody has tried it, I also checked the website and they are not associated with Menu Foods.

Your input would be appreciated, as it has taken me a while to find something they like. I did try NV Raw Instinct and they wanted nothing to do with it.

I haven't tried it but, reading the ingredients, it certainly looks like an excellent product. I'm going to make a note of it for future reference.

I just checked, and the two shops where I buy pet food both stock that brand.

I was told that dog owner's that use that brand rarely have trouble switching between the flavours and dont have to go slowly. It has top ingredients from what I see. It's a food when Kodee is older I would use if I'd been on the same thing a long time for variety. It's also rated very high.

There's no reason to exclude grains from the diet of a dog unless it specifically has allergies to grains. This company actually uses grains in the *majority* of its foods -- as 25% of the total weight of the food! Wild canids would regularly chew on wild grasses (eg grains) just as our own chew grass in lawns to aid digestion and also, as wild canids predominantly eat ruminants -- animals that SOLELY eat grain -- and eat the stomach as well -- they regularly get some grain in their diet. This is from Timberwolf's own FAQs section:

Why does your company use whole grains instead of flours?

If the whole grain is used, which include the germ, bran, middling and endosperm, it is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, phtyonutrients, fiber and oils, not just carbohydrates. That may be why wheat was known as the "staff of life". The problem is when companies use refined flours (white flour, white rice, corn meal etc.). They are almost completely devoid of nutrients or essential fatty acids (for your information, there is no such thing as whole wheat flour. Refined flour with bran added can be labeled as whole wheat. By law grains must be milled and refined into flour before shipping or storage; or left whole. Once the grain is ground the oils are exposed to oxygen and will go rancid. We use only whole grains and seeds ground immediately before going into the extruder). The reason pet food companies use flours is because they are highly digestible. The higher the starch the higher the gelatinization and the higher the digestibility. Most pet foods are grain based and the digestibility of the carbohydrates affects the digestibility of the entire product. However, diets high in refined carbohydrates are seen by the dog's system as sugar. A recent study revealed that within two hours of ingesting a diet high in refined carbohydrates the blood glucose was 50% higher than the basis level. Within four hours it was 50% below the basis level. These wild swings in blood glucose can overtax the pancreas and may possibly lead to hypoglycemia, diabetes or pancreatitis etc. Grains only comprise 25% of total weight in our formulas because of the high levels of meat proteins and fats. We feel that there are not many wolves roaming in corn or wheat fields.

Some other "natural foods" use whole grains as well and spend a lot to advertise that fact. The problem is that their formulas are comprised of a high percentage of grains just as most commercial foods have a high percentage of flours. The WHOLE grains however contain a high level of fiber and other components that are hard to digest, thereby causing large stool volume, dogs that have a hard time maintaining weight, mediocre coat growth and other problems. We still feel that by using whole grains we are providing salubrious benefits to your pet, yet because they comprise a small percentage of the total formula, you avoid the above mentioned problems as well.

Also this food is extremely high in protein -- 36%!! -- and high protein diets are said to cause behavioural problems in many dogs (eg anything over about 25%) -- so be sure you know exactly what your reasoning is in opting for a 36% protein diet. This looks like a diet aimed for high performance dogs -- eg working or competitive sports dogs? eg they say clearly:

and has been designed for dogs who have a need for high levels of nutrients
and this would typically not be the average household dog.

If you talk to any zoologist working in the area of canids, they will argue it is a dubious to state that domestic dogs should be fed a diet that is appropriate to wolves -- domestic dogs have been eating human castoffs and have been domestically fed for hundreds of thousands of years now. Many zoologists and nutritionists would argue their diet has utterly changed (or they wouldn't have such problems switching between foods for example, as wild canids reguarly feed off different food sources). Nor under the 'wild canid' feeding hypothesis, should it bother people to feed roadkill, diseased or elderly animals, or beaks/legs/feathers/brains etc -- as this is exactly what wild canids would be eating in the wild. Outside of rodents, they don't take down healthy animals -- they eat the elderly, the young, and most often, the infirm and the sick.

Just beware the hype used to sell extremely costly premium foods. If people are comfortable spending their money in this way, that's one thing, but no one should feel that necessarily produces a diet that is preferable to what a domestic dog has been fed for aeons now -- domestic dogs are not wolves (indeed if you want to feed like a wolf, then let the dog gorge and don't feed again for a week or two). I prefer a decent but not expensive kibble balanced out with raw and cooked and fresh foods. That averages out to about $5-10 a week max, to feed three dogs. :) Dogs that find it interesting to hold out for new foods will keep holding out regularly for new foods -- I would just pick a kibble and feed it. No dog is going to starve itself over the taste of a kibble. instead, add some interesting things to the meal and mix well. :) I respect the range of options out there but a lot of companies really work hard to intimidate people into not feeding a good, healthy diet that ISN'T purchased from them (hence see this company's FAQ on feeding raw -- gimme a break). That alone would put me off buying it though the ingredients look very good. I just think there are plenty of good options and I don't like companies that try to dazzle with stats and figures til you are fearful of NOT feeding their expensive product. That said there's lots of interesting ideas in the FAQs and elsewhere on the site if you can wade through all the info and excerpt it. :)

Case in point. Here in their FAQs is what they say about why their food is so expensive:

Add to that the fact that we use high levels (almost 50% by weight of dry food) of expensive classified low ash high protein animal meals, walnut and salmon oils, expensive gourmet restaurant quality herbs, spirulina, kelp, dried fruits, antioxidants,

Yep, I have seen a heck of a lot of wolves dining out on walnut and salmon oil, expensive gourmet herbs (oh please!), kelp and spirulina (say what?! That is what I feed my *aquarium fish* -- no DOG eats spirulina algae though I note upmarket juice bars offer it to their clients and now I guess, their dogs), dried fruits...

If they can substitute items NO wild canid would EVER be eating in its diet than why must one opt for this set of pricy and trendy substitutions as opposed to many other ways dogs can also get a healthy, nutitious diet as this one doesn't actually closely (or even remotely closely!) parallel a wild dog's diet, by any strecth fo the imagination. Unless maybe they were thinking about wolves feeding off the trash bins behind Beverly Hills restaurants... :roll:

Sorry for the level of sarcasm but this summarises all that is ludicrous to me about marketing a food by name and sales pitch and PRICE as being 'close to what wolves would eat' -- when it is closer to the menu at Spago.

There's no reason to exclude grains from the diet of a dog unless it specifically has allergies to grains. This company actually uses grains in the *majority* of its foods -- as 25% of the total weight of the food! Wild canids would regularly chew on wild grasses (eg grains) just as our own chew grass in lawns to aid digestion and also, as wild canids predominantly eat ruminants -- animals that SOLELY eat grain -- and eat the stomach as well -- they regularly get some grain in their diet. This is from Timberwolf's own FAQs section:

Karlin

Dudley has always shown a allergy to kibbles that have grain in them. I have tried many many different kibbles and am yet to find one that he will eat. But to my disappointment this morning he did not eat this food at all where as yesterday he devoured it. I am not getting into the trap of manipulation with him again. The protein levels in EVO are even higher than this food at around 42 %. Iwas also looking for something not quite so high in protein since I add my own as well.

I understood it was good for the digestive system to change the food around occasionally.

I have also looked on the website at the following which is good for them if the need to shed a few pounds.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.632216/it.A/id.85/.f

I did not get a sample bag of this particular food, but this one has a much lower protein at 26%.

I do not want to feed Dudley & Darby different foods, therefore am looking for something that they both like.

Darby definetely does not need to loose any weight he is about 15 1/2 lbs and has a very visible waistline.
I prefer a decent but not expensive kibble balanced out with raw and cooked and fresh foods. That averages out to about $5-10 a week max, to feed three dogs. Dogs that find it interesting to hold out for new foods will keep holding out regularly for new foods -- I would just pick a kibble and feed it. No dog is going to starve itself over the taste of a kibble. instead, add some interesting things to the meal and mix well.
Karlin I have tried RAW with both of them and neither of them will touch it, Dudley would devour chicken necks but I have young children in my home and the bacteria concerns me. I also fell into a trap and game with Dudley years ago when feeding necks that he would always hold out for the necks and not eat the kibble. I have been adding fish, chicken and stewing beef to the EVO but this only increases the amount of protein. I also add veggies and give treats of fruit throughout the day.

Also the feeding guide shows to feed 1/4 to 3/4 cups per day, while many other kibbles show to feed much more EVO included.

Would you mind having a look at the Ocean Pacific and giving your opinion, I know a few people who feed this one and it has also helped in reducing weight.

Thank you, I appreciate your input. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Timberwolf has a multitude of diets -- from high performance to lower protein (just like solidgold does). I like the food for my dogs. I pay $45.00 -50.00 for 33 pounds. If I am feeling frugal-- I will cut it with Canidae which is $38.00 for 40 pounds.

WoodHaven said:
Timberwolf has a multitude of diets -- from high performance to lower protein (just like solidgold does). I like the food for my dogs. I pay $45.00 -50.00 for 33 pounds. If I am feeling frugal-- I will cut it with Canidae which is $38.00 for 40 pounds.

Thank you Sandy

I know it is expensive, but when I have had so much trouble finding a food grain free that Dudley likes I really don't mind the little bit extra.

Plus I noticed on the feeding guidlines they advise you to feed much less than EVO which in all honesty most kibble companies always advise you to feed way more than you are suppossed to.

I called them this morning they also carry Ocean Pacific which is grain free and my local pet supplier will also give me a sample.

I will most likely buy the bigger bag as the 4 lbs bag was $20.00 Cdn for the Wild & Natural and the 15 lb bag is $50.00 so much better value.

Thanks again.

Your dogs coats are lovely and the lady I spoke with did mention that it does help their coats. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I also feel that my dogs need a change. :D :D :D :D

Karlin said:
Yep, I have seen a heck of a lot of wolves dining out on walnut and salmon oil.
:rotfl: I think its a good food, but I still found this amusing! I had a mental image of wolves dressed to the nine!

Dudley would devour chicken necks but I have young children in my home and the bacteria concerns me.
Just wanted to say that this is a big concern of mine, and yet my vet wants me to give chicken necks to my dogs from time to time (for their teeth).

We have crates with plastic bottoms, and what I do is remove the bed, put a snood on the dog (to keep their ears out of the raw chicken) and then shut them in their individual crates to eat the raw neck or wing, which I put on a large dinner plate (if the plate is big enough they'll drop the thing back on top of that more than they will on the floor of the crate). I watch closely, and as soon as they're finished I let them out of the crate, remove the plate to the dishwasher, and immediately spitz the whole bottom of the crate with disinfectant and wipe it clean with paper towels. It doesn't take long to do. Then I put the bed back in. You can give the dog a quick face-wash too.

It may seem like a lot of trouble to go to, but I can't figure out any other way to safely feed them raw chicken parts. It's the kind of food that they want to carry off to a "special" place to eat--like a good rug! Confining them to the kitchen isn't enough either--I don't want bacteria all over the kitchen floor, and I've got no practical way to feed them outside. Besides, I don't want to attract any wild beasties into the yard.

Mom_of_2_Cavies said:
Dudley would devour chicken necks but I have young children in my home and the bacteria concerns me.
Just wanted to say that this is a big concern of mine, and yet my vet wants me to give chicken necks to my dogs from time to time (for their teeth).

We have crates with plastic bottoms, and what I do is remove the bed, put a snood on the dog (to keep their ears out of the raw chicken) and then shut them in their individual crates to eat the raw neck or wing, which I put on a large dinner plate (if the plate is big enough they'll drop the thing back on top of that more than they will on the floor of the crate). I watch closely, and as soon as they're finished I let them out of the crate, remove the plate to the dishwasher, and immediately spitz the whole bottom of the crate with disinfectant and wipe it clean with paper towels. It doesn't take long to do. Then I put the bed back in. You can give the dog a quick face-wash too.

It may seem like a lot of trouble to go to, but I can't figure out any other way to safely feed them raw chicken parts. It's the kind of food that they want to carry off to a "special" place to eat--like a good rug! Confining them to the kitchen isn't enough either--I don't want bacteria all over the kitchen floor, and I've got no practical way to feed them outside. Besides, I don't want to attract any wild beasties into the yard.

Pat

I may give that a try but I will wait until closer to the wkd, I know they are excellent for the teeth. Dudley's teeth were so clean when he used to eat chicken necks. I have ordered another crate for Darby which should be arriving on Friday. I think I might pick up a small package of frozen necks and see what happens. Then disinfectant them and wipe the boys mouths with a wipe. Dudley used to always carry it off to his pillow and I was forever washing it. I think once or twice a week would be suffecient, my boys are going to the Vet at the end of April and they totally support RAW feeding. I will also talk to her as I think Dudley needs to go in to have his teeth cleaned. :( :( :(

I am trying my best to brush them daily. :D :D :D :D

Back